Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reacher

Ultimate Member

Default Reacher

So anyone watching this series?

I have to admit, I had my doubts, but two episodes in and damn, I'm impressed

I watched episode 1, and yes, it was worthwhile enough to watch the next episode.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    So anyone watching this series?

I have to admit, I had my doubts, but two episodes in and damn, I'm impressed
    Came here to revive the other Reacher thread. But, yes. Being a big Reacher fan I couldn't wait for this to drop and settled in as soon as it did. Needless to say, I have functioned on no sleep today whatsoever after devouring all 8 episodes in one hit.

I definitely had a few reservations with this. The big one being the updating of Reacher's military career from the 80s and early 90s to being the 00s with Iraq. It was also weird seeing Reacher casually drive and using technology. Also weird seeing him laugh and joke too. But the modern take on the source material worked for me. The writing was great. Direction was great. Fight choreography was spectacular. However big props go to the cast. They had great chemistry. Ritchson completely owned the part.

Really hoping this does well because I want this to have a good 6 - 8 series run. Now all that remains is which book do they adapt next? I doubt they'll do them in order. They likely could follow up with the second book Die Trying, purely because they need to switch it up after being set in a small town for this series. Although I think they may just skip that and do Tripwire instead.

One Shot and Never Go Back might also be off the table due to being adapted as films. Despite being two of the better books. However those films never did the books justice for me. I think the events of the three novels following Reacher in his military days can be woven through the next series via flashbacks like this series had.

I have a feeling a few they need to do, apart from Tripwire, includes - Without Fail, Persuader, Bad Luck and Trouble. Worth Dying For is a favourite. Likewise Personal.

So many opportunities!

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I'm interested in it, so will likely give it a shot.
    The review I read on this site said it was full of over the top masculine nonsense and violence. Seeing as I'm a big fan of the 1980s action stars and their various movies, that caught my eye.

Astonishing Member

Of course, it is full of masculine action. That's the character. What a stupid comment. I like the episodes I have seen so far. The show character is more appealing than the book character who is something of a pompous ass and clearly nuts for his life style.

Extraordinary Member

Up to the 3rd episode and it's pretty good so far. The masculinity themes are refreshing imo. The cast and direction are great. I read one Reacher book and this guy seems like a younger version of him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    The review I read on this site said it was full of over the top masculine nonsense and violence. Seeing as I'm a big fan of the 1980s action stars and their various movies, that caught my eye.
    Hahaha!

Reacher is the epitome of masculinity. It's why he is 6'5, weighs 250lb, and beds women in every book. The dude is a force of nature with a keen brain between his ears. "Women want to be with him and men want to be like him" is a quote someone said about the character once. So whoever wrote that review totally missed the point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Up to the 3rd episode and it's pretty good so far. The masculinity themes are refreshing imo. The cast and direction are great. I read one Reacher book and this guy seems like a younger version of him.
    Which is bizarre because Reacher was 36 years old in the first book. Ritchson is 39 in real life, I believe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Which is bizarre because Reacher was 36 years old in the first book. Ritchson is 39 in real life, I believe.
    The book was "Worth dying for" so time def passed since the first book. But the actor looks younger than his real age.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 02-05-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Please ignore that nonsense. It's really good. I hope season 2 increases the scale of the fighting scenes and it should be set in a metropolis

Finlay was a fave I have enjoyed Malcolm Goodwin since I discovered him in iZombie.
    Last edited by Tofali; 02-05-2022 at 11:00 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    The book was "Worth dying for" so time def passed since the first book. But the actor looks younger than his real age.
    That was a good one. It's the book where he gets his nose broken for the first time and he kills that one guy by punching him in the chest hard enough between beats to stop his heart.

He does look younger, i agree. lucky bastard.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    That was a good one. It's the book where he gets his nose broken for the first time and he kills that one guy by punching him in the chest hard enough between beats to stop his heart.

He does look younger, i agree. lucky bastard.
    Ya know it's funny. I had forgotten the title of the book. But I def remembered the nose break part lol. That's how I found it again lol. Yeah a good read for sure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Please ignore that nonsense. It's really good. I hope season 2 increases the scale of the fighting scenes and it should be set in a metropolis

Finlay was a fave I have enjoyed Malcolm Goodwin since I discovered him in iZombie.
    It needs to be in a city setting to mix it up. So many of the Jack Reacher novels has him coming to a small town where something sinister is going on - Counterfeiting (Killing Floor), Human Trafficking (Worth Dying For), people with terminal illness being killed in order to make snuff films (Make Me). So you need to mix it up series to series if you want a long run of this show.

Niffleheim

Ha! so the small town setting is found in the books and not a budgetary reason? I have never read any of the books and I realize I don't see them changing the settings to a big city lol
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Ha! so the small town setting is found in the books and not a budgetary reason? I have never read any of the books and I realize I don't see them changing the settings to a big city lol
    No, it's a feature of the books. A majority of them are set in small towns or in a county. Lee Child patterns his stories on the old knight errant/western tales of a stranger/hero coming into a town that has something going on, they get involved in events, sorts the problem, then rides off into the sunset (in Reacher's case that's either via a greyhound bus or hitchhiking).

I can see why he does it because it often means the hero is isolated with only a few allies to help him. This is because the town is often been paid off or have been scared into submission to do anything.

However, a number are set in cities. Die Trying starts off in Chicago. Tripwire starts in Key West. Gone Tomorrow is in New York (with a trip to Washington in the middle of it), Never Go Back is in Washington, Personal goes to France and London.

I think the fact the books move around, often in small towns, is why a streaming service took a chance on it. Because it can be inexpensive to film.