Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Some X-PolliNation for posterity's sake:

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Back in the day [circa the turn of this century], given Dazz's [meta] longevity even then, my BIG idea for her was always this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maverick_(company)
    Maverick was an American entertainment company founded in 1992 by Madonna, Frederick DeMann, and Veronica "Ronnie" Dashev, and formerly owned and operated by Warner Music Group. It included a record label (Maverick Records), a film production company (Maverick Films), book publishing, music publishing, a Latin record division (Maverick Música), and a television production company. The first releases for the company were Madonna's 1992 coffee table publication Sex and her studio album Erotica, which were released simultaneously to great controversy as well as success. By the early 1990s, the existence of Maverick Records was "anomaly" as she became in one of the first female artists to have a real label, and one of the few women to run her own entertainment company according to J. Randy Taraborrelli. ...
    I also saw symmetrical parallels in her unique, almost chameleon-like ability to span genres & reinvent herself, for the times.

This could still work today, and maybe even more successfully so, then it might've then:

I see even folk/country being in her realm. There's nothing she can't do, w/boffo STYLE!
    Also wanted to add that when it comes to financial funding, she could hit up Auntie Ems and/or Daddy Warren-bucks, since she's gotta in with both. Know her Blaire fam comes from $, but not sure how receptive gramma Bella [who I think is still around?] would be to the idea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Totally didn’t connect the dots there, but this one makes a lot of sense. I doubt Ewing just threw that out there without an intentional follow up to Roberto’s comment, which of course would mean Dazzler showing up at some point if he’s truly going to stage a disco comeback on Mars.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomBoleyn View Post
    I think she is going to RED when the mini is over. The disco mentions were too plentiful to not be something.

I just want her to show up somewhere after the mini. She's woefully underutilized in this new era. Put her on a team!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I’d love to see her join up with the Cable-Thunderbird-Manifold secret conspiracy against Abigail Brand, while she’s there to help Roberto bring disco to Arakko. She’s been a secret agent before.
    FULLY support & would be SUPER-eXcited to see her land in Red!! Even if it were only a recurring role, just so I could look forward to seeing her again on the reg. The Arakko disco thing sounds ATTUNED to Ali, given her interdimensional/galactic eXperiences touring w/Lila Cheney. And let's not forget the years freedom fighting w/the Mojo resistance, alongside Longshot, so BRING IT... on, crabby Abby. Underutilized is an understatement, and that needs to change ASAP, starting w/X-Terminators neXt mo.!

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I'm slowly catching up on individual characters. I'm doing Jean, Storm and Magik right now, in-between various Iceman stories. Cable, Indra and Manifold are also on the list. I wanted to know of any really good, fun Dazzler stories I can get into before X-Terminators?
    From more recent times, I would highly recommend her 2012-13 X-Treme 14 issue run, and I personally enjoyed her short, 2017 Astonishing 5 issue one:

There also was of course, the non-X-related A-Force, for 5 issues in 2015's Secret Wars & 10 issues after it in 2016:

Last edited by PolarIceFire; 08-07-2022 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetragene View Post

this just furthers the thoughts I've long had that CC always had no interest for the character & probably held disdain for her (after UXM #221 he just seemed completely nonplussed by her & don't get me started on New Excalibur...) -- she was just another boring blonde? He mentions "we were making a pitch for this new singing character" but based off all accounts I read CC had zero input or involvement in any of the creation process for Dazzler. Also people correct me if I'm wrong because it's been a while since I've read the Dazzler interviews/behind-the-scenes -- but she was always intended to be disco & never hip-hop, right? Her original name went from Disco Queen to Disco Dazzler before finally just Dazzler, I thought. I don't remember ever reading about hip-hop.
    Her addition to his book in the 80s was editorially mandated. Editorial told he and Louise that they had to add Dazzler and Boom Boom to the books and Louise called first dibs on Boom Boom, so Claremont was left with Dazzler. In an alternate world, Boom Boom would have replaced Kitty as the young female on the X-men and Dazzler would have replaced Angel in X-Factor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Her addition to his book in the 80s was editorially mandated. Editorial told he and Louise that they had to add Dazzler and Boom Boom to the books and Louise called first dibs on Boom Boom, so Claremont was left with Dazzler. In an alternate world, Boom Boom would have replaced Kitty as the young female on the X-men and Dazzler would have replaced Angel in X-Factor
    Now there's some X-trivia for ya.

I have some thoughts on your post too, Tetra, that I'll add at a later time [but soon]. It just requires some... delicacy, that I'm not or haven't been, in the right mood for. There's some... legalities there, in my estimation, that unless ironed out... would've proved to be too much of a risk, and probably gave them enough pause to go the route they did.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    So Dazzler & Jean would have potentially been on the same X-Factor team? I know that originally when Jean was still dead that Dazzler was supposed to be the female member, as confirmed by Bob Layton (& Dazzler's #42 almost flat out indicates this). I get that Claremont has never been fond of the character (even though allegedly some pitches for her went nowhere in later years because he "had plans") & felt like she was forced on him, but it was odd how he was going in an interesting angle with her initially (UXM 217 - 221 & then just fumbled completely before finally casting her into limbo.

https://aiptcomics.com/2018/07/03/co...for-jean-grey/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIAT5-EgjYz/

Now there's some X-trivia for ya.

I have some thoughts on your post too, Tetra, that I'll add at a later time [but soon]. It just requires some... delicacy, that I'm not or haven't been, in the right mood for.
    I look forward to when you are ready to post it lol

The Poster FKA Firebaton ThomBoleyn's Avatar

She was always envisioned as Disco, that is very clear in all accounts, and CC only wrote her first appearance. He had no hand in creating her or her backstory. CC did not like the character, which I have read at length numerous times. I've heard it was because she was a "Shooter Character". That reason is why she was pushed into limbo so quickly and was gone for most of the 90s and only appearing for copyright reasons, editorial wasn't a fan either. Bob Harris and Quesada were anti-Dazzler, I can't remember if I read it or heard it but supposedly they had to campaign for her to be in AoA.

I've heard that she was supposed to go to Excalibur after the Siege Perilous but CC was taken off the book before it could happen. I'm not sure how much I believe that, but I do know that rumor is out there.
    We've had a few near misses on her appearing in numerous places. Reed wanted to use her in Ms. Marvel, Bendis wanted to use her in New Avengers THEN wanted her to come out of Secret Invasion as being a Skrull for a character re-set, there's like one or two more that I can't recall but would have been good for exposure. I think Slott had something he wanted to do with her, but I can't remember what it was, but it was around She-Hulk and Avengers: Initiative.
    I don't post often, but I like to chime in now and again.

BANNED

... I look forward to when you are ready to post it lol
    I'm getting there, lol.

And while I certainly agree that Kylie Mynogue is the go-to for most fans and epitomizes Ali in many ways...

... a li'l somethin' I put together myself 4 Dazz & Lizz:

my Madonna & Maverick idea was more about the business venture aspect, and Alison helping to highlight aspiring, young mutant [+ally, e.g. Lizzo] musicians, like she once was.

So Dazzler & Jean would have potentially been on the same X-Factor team? I know that originally when Jean was still dead that Dazzler was supposed to be the female member, as confirmed by Bob Layton (& Dazzler's #42 almost flat out indicates this). I get that Claremont has never been fond of the character (even though allegedly some pitches for her went nowhere in later years because he "had plans") & felt like she was forced on him, but it was odd how he was going in an interesting angle with her initially (UXM 217 - 221 & then just fumbled completely before finally casting her into limbo.

https://aiptcomics.com/2018/07/03/co...for-jean-grey/
    Yea we missed out on that which is unfortunate. Both Ali and Tabatha were added to the books post Mutant Massacre. Ali would have replaced Angel as the 5th member after he was written out in that story. I think she would have fit in well in X-Factor and it would have been nice to see Jean interact with another female her age

The Poster FKA Firebaton ThomBoleyn's Avatar

Dazzler.jpg

Saw this on twitter and then in the Upcoming Art Thread and wanted to share. It is gorgeous. Hopefully I did it right. LOL.
    I don't post often, but I like to chime in now and again.

What does PRAXIS mean? Marvel released some teaser pages from X-terminators #1 and Dazzler has the word PRAXIS printed on the back of her shorts and I have no idea what it’s supposed to be referring to.

Last edited by hoth82; 08-20-2022 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoth82 View Post
    What does PRAXIS mean?
    It's a popular leftist slang term/meme for someone's actions that are aiding in the greater good.

Eg. in a sentence: Dazzler kicking ass in hot pants and on rollerblades is antifa praxis
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 08-20-2022 at 04:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ThomBoleyn View Post
    Dazzler.jpg

Saw this on twitter and then in the Upcoming Art Thread and wanted to share. It is gorgeous. Hopefully I did it right. LOL.
    You did, Thom, and YES, the Dodsons did Dazz JUSTICE!! And here's 3 more, ALL 4 the #1 ISSUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoth82 View Post
    What does PRAXIS mean? Marvel released some teaser pages from X-terminators #1 and Dazzler has the word PRAXIS printed on the back of her shorts and I have no idea what it’s supposed to be referring to. ...
    The "literal" definition that I found:

practice, as distinguished from theory.
    "the gap between theory and praxis, text and world"
    · accepted practice or custom.
    "patterns of Christian praxis in church and society"

There's also this, that's more in depth: https://www.encyclopedia.com/social-...oncepts/praxis
    ... According to Aristotle there are three ways of knowing that he designates as theoria, praxis, and poiesis, roughly corresponding to three kinds of living that we might call the contemplative (philosophical) life, the practical (public) life, and the productive (creative) life. In the Aristotelian framework, praxis is directed to the right ordering of human behavior in the sociopolitical world. ...
    And of course, in addition, there's its probably more likely... contemporary/modern, slang usage: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Praxis
    ... Mostly used by the true political left as an alternative to the word based when they want to denote sincerity in their agreement or approval (based is meta-ironic), or when they want to applaud someone for their actions that support their ideals and theory. Synonymous with saying "unironically based". ...
    There are others I came across, as well, for instance...
    It generally means that a man has been aroused, without any offer of relief. ...
    But I could've sworn seeing it mean "being TRUE to yourself, and not caring what others think," though have been unable to readily find it again. That seemed to me, to be eXtremely fitting for Ali, and true to her character's canonical sense of FIERCE independence & individuality [hi, Lorna, lookin' @ U2]. IDK, maybe I got my wires crossed again, and am mistaken. Thought I read that it translates as 'PROCESS', too, more or less. 😕❓

BANNED

PLUS, here's some details on the #1 variants:

AND, a Nakayama 1, for... #3, I think?

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Dazzler has always had the juice. canon.
    tumblr_o2541cB3sb1uvxc4ro1_1280.jpg

and here
    Unknown.jpg
    E4P33v4WYAYypCe.jpg-large.jpg