Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Why can't the story actually play out the same
    Because we are left with the paradox of having a Supergirl before Supergirl.
    Now if we replace the death period with a extended absence or a "we believed you to be dead!", maybe it could roll.
    But we were left with what would be Kara Zor-El reaction to be replaced... twice. (Thrice, if we count PowerGirl... four times with Laurel Gand in the Legion...)
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Yeah, in some ways it's like the DCAU Supergirl.... she's technically not from Krypton as she was born on a different planet named Argo. The people of Argo are functionally identical to Kryptonians, and... Supergirl nearly gets killed with Kryptonite in one episode. Yeah, the DCAU Supergirl was basically 1-degree of separation from the main one. With the added wrinkle that she didn't actually LEAVE her home before it became a dead world. She got put in suspended animation and rescued by Kal-El.

Retired

Normally I'd be okay with "figure it out for yourselves." Sometimes comics are over-explained and it's better if fans just make up their own head canon. But so much continuity has been messed with over the years this is harder than doing calculus. I just get this pressure in my brain and I have to stop thinking about it.

So apparently saving Legion continuity isn't important, but saving the Matrix Supergirl is important. Okay. Then they should just tell us how Matrix happened, if the original version isn't extant.

Jeez ppl have everything happen and count.simple as thst .

The DCU isnt normal space folks,their universe changes constantly ,so Kara dying then coming back is not put of the question.not like every other character hasn't done it.

Linda was.Supergirl when Kara was dead,then Kara came back (HYPERTIMISM,simple
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Because we are left with the paradox of having a Supergirl before Supergirl.
    Now if we replace the death period with a extended absence or a "we believed you to be dead!", maybe it could roll.
    But we were left with what would be Kara Zor-El reaction to be replaced... twice. (Thrice, if we count PowerGirl... four times with Laurel Gand in the Legion...)
    Waid’s World’s Finests already established Kara was already around back when Dick was Robin in current continuity. So Linda could have easily come after Crisis and Kara was believed dead (or actually died and came back, we don’t know).
    I say they should keep Linda’s history mostly as it is, just don’t go into too much detail so new readers aren’t left too confused.

So basically:
    1) The first Supergirl went missing/died for a while
    2) An alien from another universe was saved by Superman and became inspired by him and his family.
    3) The alien merged with Linda Danvers to save her life and they gained supernatural powers.
    4) Together they became a new Supergirl.
    5) Linda eventually retired because she lost a daughter and Kara Zor-El returned.

Now she’d be back as the Superfamily’s supernatural expert, using the codename Seraph.
    No need to go into further detail than that, at least for a reintroduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Waid’s World’s Finests already established Kara was already around back when Dick was Robin in current continuity. So Linda could have easily come after Crisis and Kara was believed dead (or actually died and came back, we don’t know).
    I say they should keep Linda’s history mostly as it is, just don’t go into too much detail so new readers aren’t left too confused.

So basically:
    1) The first Supergirl went missing/died for a while
    2) An alien from another universe was saved by Superman and became inspired by him and his family.
    3) The alien merged with Linda Danvers to save her life and they gained supernatural powers.
    4) Together they became a new Supergirl.
    5) Linda eventually retired because she lost a daughter and Kara Zor-El returned.

Now she’d be back as the Superfamily’s supernatural expert, using the codename Seraph.
    No need to go into further detail than that, at least for a reintroduction.
    With a little tweaks this could work. maybe reworking a little Many happy returns?::

OG SUpergirl didn't died, she was transported to a world/universe where she was reapiting her life endlessly from beggining to end by the evil Xenon. Unti the Fatalist broke the cycle and she returned, partly amnesic to a universe, where her absence caused people to forget her too. (Same as with Wally West). Linda eventually remembered who she was and when she was to rescue her, she took her place to give her life back. However th situation didn't work in that way and with the intervention of the Spectre, Supergirl (Kara Z) finally escaped her prision , but Linda lost the life she had built there, daughter included.

And from there you can rewrite how was Supergirl return after years of absence. Maybe she even returned rejuvenated and had to live through all the events she passed from 2004 to the present.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

If Linda ever does come back I can almost guarantee you no one going to spend several pages trying explain her convoluted origins to readers instead it'll likely be played off as a meta joke with a wink at the fans about how overly complicated and nonsensical comic use to be.

Instead of getting lost in weeds of the how Linda can come back, because if they want to they'll just do it, I think the real question is why would DC bring her back as she clearly has a lot baggage that makes her inaccessible to new readers and her existence came about only because editorial mandates prevented writers at the time from using Kara so what can she offer outside of that instead of just being another female "Super" character archetype? She'd need to be reinvented and simplified somewhat and she'd probably be all the better for it as I think it's more important to keep the general spirit and feel of a character intact instead what is often times contradictory continuity that's not worth holding on to.

I will say seeing Linda sorry situation nowadays makes me appreciate Geoff Johns retcon of Conner more and more as say what you will but it streamlined his origins and gave him a more direct tie to Superman because "Metahuman clone of Paul Wesatfield genetically designed to look like a young Clark but who just uses Tactile Telekinesis to mimic Superman's powers" is arguably just as messy as [I]"Alternative reality space goop fused with human girl to become Earth Angel"[/I], he's now a concept that's easy for any new readers to digest and allows the actual important things like his character and personality to shine through and be the focus and not about whether his existence makes sense anymore because Paul Westfield no longer exists in continuity.
    Last edited by walk; 12-06-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    If Linda ever does come back I can almost guarantee you no one going to spend several pages trying explain her convoluted origins to readers instead it'll likely be played off as a meta joke with a wink at the fans about how overly complicated and nonsensical comic use to be.

Instead of getting lost in weeds of the how Linda can come back, because if they want to they'll just do it, I think the real question is why would DC bring her back as she clearly has a lot baggage that makes her inaccessible to new readers and her existence came about only because editorial mandates prevented writers at the time from using Kara so what can she offer outside of that instead of just being another female "Super" character archetype? She'd need to be reinvented and simplified somewhat and she'd probably be all the better for it as I think it's more important to keep the general spirit and feel of a character intact instead what is often times contradictory continuity that's not worth holding on to.

I will say seeing Linda sorry situation nowadays makes me appreciate Geoff Johns retcon of Conner more and more as say what you will but it streamlined his origins and gave him a more direct tie to Superman because "Metahuman clone of Paul Wesatfield genetically designed to look like a young Clark but who just uses Tactile Telekinesis to mimic Superman's powers" is arguably just as messy as [I]"Alternative reality space goop fused with human girl to become Earth Angel"[/I], he's now a concept that's easy for any new readers to digest and allows the actual important things like his character and personality to shine through and be the focus and not about whether his existence makes sense anymore because Paul Westfield no longer exists in continuity.
    I concede the argument. Some suggestion for a simplified concept? Someone proposed "Earth girl possessed by Kryptonian spirit"(the flamebird).

I concede the argument. Some suggestion for a simplified concept? Someone proposed "Earth girl possessed by Kryptonian spirit"(the flamebird).

Same as above,I want some ideas from you,cause your post lately have been made with logic and common sense(something kissing in comic companies today).

And go? Lol
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

I don’t know if that’s so much simpler than Earth girl merged with the last survivor from another world.
    Plus, it’s a bit too similar in concept to the Phoenix and ends up screwing up yet another underused character (Bette Kane).
    I don’t think Linda should be “fixed” at the expense of another character in a similar situation. And Bette’s other identity was terrible.

I guess the Earth angel thing could be confusing, but it’s also what adds the needed (IMO) supernatural aspect, plus much of her supporting characters and themes.

Extraordinary Member

Why does Kara have to be the inventor of the Supergirl name? Even pre-crisis there was a Supergirl before her, and Post-Crisis she was the third Supergirl. There's no reason Linda's time as Supergirl couldn't have all happened before Kara came to Earth. I think the story works much better that way because it allows Matrix/Linda to fill the adoptive family role for Superman she always did when she was around since he hadn't discovered his blood relative yet.

The premise is of the character is - artificial super being who doesn't know if she is truly alive merges with evil murder victim to become an angelic being and seek redemption. That's it. The specifics of the pocket universe or being created by Luthor don't matter and getting bogged down by them is why Didio tried to make everyone forget she ever existed in the first place. With Kara the specifics of how she can both be old enough to have actually lived on Krypton and remember what it was like and young enough to be the younger cousin of someone who was a baby when it blew up don't matter. The only thing that matters is that she is Superman's cousin from Krypton, no matter how much that doesn't make sense if you think about it for 2 seconds. If you think readers are as stupid as Didio does, then the concept can be reduced further to 'human-angel hybrid.'

Hypertimism= everything happened ,and keeps happening,all around us,to everyone,all the time
    ........and life goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don’t know if that’s so much simpler than Earth girl merged with the last survivor from another world.
    Plus, it’s a bit too similar in concept to the Phoenix and ends up screwing up yet another underused character (Bette Kane).
    I don’t think Linda should be “fixed” at the expense of another character in a similar situation. And Bette’s other identity was terrible.

I guess the Earth angel thing could be confusing, but it’s also what adds the needed (IMO) supernatural aspect, plus much of her supporting characters and themes.
    Bette goes by Hawkfire these days. And the Flamebird title belongs to the Superman franchise, where started. It is not like Bette has done too much as Flamebird. If Bette wants an identity back, better she talks with Barbara Gordon.

Anyway the mechanics of narratives, we would like Linda Danvers back.

That was actually my suggestion I made years ago, I guess it sticked.

But yes I'd ditch the whole Matrix/Earth Angel stuff entirely there was never any internal logic that the merging of a human with an artificial creation (sci-fi concept) would result in one becoming a celestial being (supernatural concept), not only are both entirely divorced from each other narratively but they have nothing to do with Superman himself.

You'd have much easier time getting people on board with Linda by just saying she got her powers of flame wings, flame vision, teleportation (Shunting) and telekinesis from merging with Flamebird a literal fire bird goddess than trying to explain what an Earth Angel is and you can still have the spiritual aspects and religious themes of the original run only now you can compare contrast it with Kryptonian own belief system as Flamebird and other gods were worshipped by them which only helps strengthens Linda's ties back to Superman.

Like I said before break down Linda to her basics, a troubled human woman with a dark past who was saved when a otherworldly being merged with her granting her powers and a second chance at life and after an initial identity crisis committed herself to becoming hero and making up for her past mistakes taking on manner things with a dry wit and sardonic attitude. Those are the key things that matter about Linda not Matrix or Earth Angels.

That was actually my suggestion I made years ago, I guess it sticked.

But yes I'd ditch the whole Matrix/Earth Angel stuff entirely there was never any internal logic that the merging of a human with an artificial creation (sci-fi concept) would result in one becoming a celestial being (supernatural concept), not only are both entirely divorced from each other narratively but they have nothing to do with Superman himself.

You'd have much easier time getting people on board with Linda by just saying she got her powers of flame wings, flame vision, teleportation (Shunting) and telekinesis from merging with Flamebird a literal fire bird goddess than trying to explain what an Earth Angel is and you can still have the spiritual aspects and religious themes of the original run only now you can compare contrast it with Kryptonian own belief system as Flamebird and other gods were worshipped by them which only helps strengthens Linda's ties back to Superman.

Like I said before break down Linda to her basics, a troubled human woman with a dark past who was saved when a otherworldly being merged with her granting her powers and a second chance at life and after an initial identity crisis committed herself to becoming hero and making up for her past mistakes taking on manner things with a dry wit and sardonic attitude. Those are the key things that matter about Linda not Matrix or Earth Angels.

But but but ,I like Matrix

And what about Ariella?