Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Angel View Post
    And when Kara came back after Cir El she did not impress me then or during her series. Matrix had a far more messed up start though so it just comes to show that any great writer can craft a mess into an amazing character which is what happened, but then it was all discarded.

Also, I don't think Kara will ever have as long of a run as Linda. Her having her comic series canceled during the time she had her own show I think proves she is not destined to get above 80.
    I'm all for Linda coming back as a separate sort of entity than Kara, but I really don't think any of the CW shows can be used as any sort of barometer for a character's comic book success.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

It was the Supergirl TV show that led to my becoming a fan of Linda. It made me realize I would never like Kara as a character and led to my seeking out this critically acclaimed PAD series I'd been hearing about.

The moral of the story is that there is plenty of room for Kara, Linda, Karen, cir, and whoever else they want to bring in, it doesn't have to be one or the other, or only one at a time. Linda was a wonderful character, who can work in more than one part of the DCU, it's time to bring her back.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

I am starting to suspect than CBR staff lurks in these boards...

https://www.cbr.com/peter-david-fallen-angel-supergirl/
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Is the name Fallen Angel taken already? Can they still do the whole shazam/captain marvel thing?
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Marvel had a book called Fallen Angels, plural, a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Angel View Post
    That would be ideal and absolutely something I would be excited about. It would be even better if Peter David were given the opportunity to write again but don't think he would. I don't even think he writes comics anymore.
    He does, at Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I remember suggesting bringing back Linda-Mae in her combined "Earthborn Angel" form under the classic Superman Mythos name, "Flamebird", and treat her as the Superman Family's foothold in the Magic side of the DC Universe, maybe the super representative in Justice League Dark.

The idea seemed broadly popular last time I suggested it, but it's also so specific that I don't think it'd ever remotely happen.
    Isn't Flamebird associated with the Bat family nowadays? It's Bette Kane's codename - not that Bette appears much (despite being Batwoman's cousin and one of the 1970s Teen Titans meaning she also knows Nightwing).

As for bringing Linda back, they could explain that she'd been using the Supergirl name after Kara died (she died in Crisis a few years before Linda and Matrix's debuts), and retired when Kara was resurrected (that resurrection replacing her 2005 reboot). Then something happens in the present and Linda decides to be a superhero again, with a new codename.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Is the name Fallen Angel taken already? Can they still do the whole shazam/captain marvel thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Marvel had a book called Fallen Angels, plural, a few years ago.He does, at Marvel.
    Also, consider than if the character of Linda Danvers uses the Fallen Angel moniker, it could be seen as an steal to David's work. I don't know if it can be done or if even is legal, but certainly it would be give DC really bad press.

Isn't Flamebird associated with the Bat family nowadays? It's Bette Kane's codename - not that Bette appears much (despite being Batwoman's cousin and one of the 1970s Teen Titans meaning she also knows Nightwing).
    In fact, from her last appearances, in the Batwoman title, I think, Bette is going under the Hawkfire alias now. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Mary_Eliz..._(Prime_Earth)
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

As for bringing Linda back, they could explain that she'd been using the Supergirl name after Kara died (she died in Crisis a few years before Linda and Matrix's debuts), and retired when Kara was resurrected (that resurrection replacing her 2005 reboot). Then something happens in the present and Linda decides to be a superhero again, with a new codename.
    That period is weird.... They had all these "not Kara Zor-El" Supergirls. Who were either temporary or functionally so.

DCAU Supergirl: technically not Kara Zor-El(In-Ze), but nearly so. (she's not born on Krypton, but is the same species as Superman and still his cousin, like one step further, but only one.)

Cir-El was a weird pseudo-demi-clone of Superman, but was part of a weird time-travel paradox and disappeared or something when that got resolved.

And Matrix/Linda Danvers, long run, but... her origins are super weird and hard to adapt. Fusion of two people, one of which was in part of a reincarnation cycle, the other a bio-engineered weapon created by a Lex Luthor. Oh also she had supernatural powers... not related to EITHER of those things.

Don't forget the not-Kara from the Deadman christmas story.
    Still, Linda Danver a return is being asked

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Don't forget the not-Kara from the Deadman christmas story.
    Still, Linda Danver a return is being asked
    Damn right we want her back

Linda main hurdles are that she's an inherently confusing character that most no longer remember with all sorts of convoluted nonsense attached to her, I didn't touch her series for years because of all the summaries about it with Earth-Angels and Matrix-merging just made my eyes glaze over and I can guarantee if they where to reintroduce her to audiences with a similar approach she wouldn't be around long.

Fortunately Linda herself a pretty enjoyable character outside of all that so you can break her down into her most basic components, a troubled human woman who due circumstances gained powers and became Supergirl and found redemption for her past crimes for a time before an incident in which she lost her daughter caused her to lose hope and retire from super heroics, this way you can familiarize people with her again and get them invested in her as a person before dumping a bunch of confusing lore on them as the idea of jaded, washed-up former Supergirl is far more digestible pitch to the uninitiated than an Earth Angel.

Maybe make her a Jessica Jones type who still does good on the side and in lowkey way but has ditched the costume and wig and mostly lives her life as a civilian or perhaps go the Red Hood approach, introduce her as this new mysterious antagonistic force whose working for some shady organisation under the promise to reunite her with her daughter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    Linda main hurdles are that she's an inherently confusing character that most no longer remember with all sorts of convoluted nonsense attached to her, I didn't touch her series for years because of all the summaries about it with Earth-Angels and Matrix-merging just made my eyes glaze over and I can guarantee if they where to reintroduce her to audiences with a similar approach she wouldn't be around long.

Fortunately Linda herself a pretty enjoyable character outside of all that so you can break her down into her most basic components, a troubled human woman who due circumstances gained powers and became Supergirl and found redemption for her past crimes for a time before an incident in which she lost her daughter caused her to lose hope and retire from super heroics, this way you can familiarize people with her again and get them invested in her as a person before dumping a bunch of confusing lore on them as the idea of jaded, washed-up former Supergirl is far more digestible pitch to the uninitiated than an Earth Angel.

Maybe make her a Jessica Jones type who still does good on the side and in lowkey way but has ditched the costume and wig and mostly lives her life as a civilian or perhaps go the Red Hood approach, introduce her as this new mysterious antagonistic force whose working for some shady organisation under the promise to reunite her with her daughter.
    As said earlier, Naming her Flamebird, as the name ties into the Superman mythos and describes Linda’s powers is the best bet. (And this is coming from a Bette fan who doesn’t like the Hawkfire name)

The only thing is, as time goes by and the longer away from Linda’s last series, the least likely DC will ever bring this confusing character back.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    As said earlier, Naming her Flamebird, as the name ties into the Superman mythos and describes Linda’s powers is the best bet. (And this is coming from a Bette fan who doesn’t like the Hawkfire name)

The only thing is, as time goes by and the longer away from Linda’s last series, the least likely DC will ever bring this confusing character back.
    That is a name than it can work. But even if she didn't return, at least she had the better and longest run as SUpergirl.

Retired

As a little kid, I fell in love with Linda Danvers (drawn by Curt Swan and Stan Kaye), rather than Supergirl. So it would make me like the modern Supergirl even less if she wasn't even Linda Danvers.

I think the SUPERGIRL television series tried to split the difference by having the two sisters--Kara and Alex. If they really wanted to bring back Linda Danvers as a separate person, they could do that--have Supergirl adopted into the Danvers home and the Danvers' biological daughter being her sister, Linda. However, I never liked the idea of Supergirl calling herself Kara in her civilian identity (what a giveaway that she's Kara Zor-El, a.k.a. Supergirl)--and she would still have to make herself look different with a wig or some other disguise.

Astonishing Member

I want Linda Danvers and Cir El back.