Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pre-Crisis Superman vs Destroyer Amalgam

Pre-Crisis Superman vs Destroyer Amalgam.

The Destroyer armor of 616 Earth has absorbed the lifeforce of Iron Fist, Quicksilver, and Doctor Octopus. It gets, in addition to its own abilities, the combined powers, skills, and knowledge of all three persons.

The Destroyer also sprouts four Doctor Octopus tentacles, but made of its own material.

Standard arena match.

So something that likely isn’t as powerful as Pre-Crisis Superman absorbs the powers of a guy who hits much less hard than post-Crisis Superman, a speedster who is much, much slower than post-Crisis Superman and a guy who probably isn’t as smart as pre-Crisis Superman using his super-intelligence or something.

I don’t think they add anything of note to the base Destroyer armour, so no, I don’t think it can beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    So something that likely isn’t as powerful as Pre-Crisis Superman absorbs the powers of a guy who hits much less hard than post-Crisis Superman, a speedster who is much, much slower than post-Crisis Superman and a guy who probably isn’t as smart as pre-Crisis Superman using his super-intelligence or something.

I don’t think they add anything of note to the base Destroyer armour, so no, I don’t think it can beat him.
    Yes, and, you've got a guy who, when he was a teenager and not even at full power yet, did stuff like pull a set of planets, going as far back as the comic panel could possibly show, from another galaxy to ours, on a chain no less. I think he can damage the Destroyer armor.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

The destroyer armor is faster, smarter, and has more arms, but not to a degree that would make PC Superman blink an eye. He tosses the amalgamation into the sun and goes on with his day. I don't think Iron Fist really adds anything. Maybe ki is a multiplier instead of additive, but even then the effects are negligible.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Question: I know PC Superman was much weaker to magic than current iterations. Did it act like kryptonite where just being around it weakened him? Cuz the Destroyer would be magical af. How did he usually handle the presence of Doctor Fate, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, or other magical characters?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Question: I know PC Superman was much weaker to magic than current iterations. Did it act like kryptonite where just being around it weakened him? Cuz the Destroyer would be magical af. How did he usually handle the presence of Doctor Fate, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, or other magical characters?
    He was just ridiculously vulnerable to it, as I recall.

But being around it didn't make him drop down to his knees muttering 'Magic! My deadly weakness...!' or the like. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

It's probably worth noting that Odin with all of the souls of Asgard or whatever, in the Destroyer armor... got absolutely bodied by the Celestials.

This is going to be an even more severe beating.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    He was just ridiculously vulnerable to it, as I recall.

But being around it didn't make him drop down to his knees muttering 'Magic! My deadly weakness...!' or the like. ^_^
    And we don't think he's gonna hurt his hand punching it or whatever?

Follow up question: what has actually damaged the Destroyer outside of the celestials?

Due to time travel shenanigans it's not... canon anymore I don't think, but Odin Force Thor (CA. Desak the Destroyer arc) decapitated it.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Follow up question: what has actually damaged the Destroyer outside of the celestials?
    Something having magic as an explanation never particularly bothered him. He took punches and energy blasts from arch-devils like Sattannish that knocked him halfway across the world and punched him right back, beating him with his classic Silver Age time travel punch.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Supes didn't get weakened by the presence of magic. He was affected by magic being used against him. The fights with Captain Marvel / or Shazam were sometimes ambiguous as Billy was strong from magic but his punches weren't magic (he was just strong) but other times the punches were said to be full of magic whammy. Sometimes it was said that Supe's strength made him more resistant to magic attacks like a force bolt and his wasn't just a normal human in resistance. Sometimes he was. Go figure.

It's like the red sun weakness, never really explained. Is wavelengths that are in the region of the spectrum we see as 'red'? While our sun seems yellow, it certainly pumps out lots of those - see a rainbow! How do they weaken him? Does the specific wavelength not charge his cells or does that wavelength specifically inhibit a cellular reaction? But then my rainbow point unless the other wavelengths are more potent.

So magic and red are a mess and not really thought through. Don't get me started on the GL color spectrum - again ridiculous if you know optics and visual systems.

Mangog crunched its arm in his jaws. He mentioned that maaaybe it wasn't operating at 100% because the wielder (Freya) was tired at the time?

Pheonix Force also torched it off screen and incapacitated it but I dont recall a bunch of obvious damage. Just that it was laid out. This was in the same story where the Armor pretty effortlessly clobbered Gladiator on a day where he was being written as competent.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Supes didn't get weakened by the presence of magic. He was affected by magic being used against him. The fights with Captain Marvel / or Shazam were sometimes ambiguous as Billy was strong from magic but his punches weren't magic (he was just strong) but other times the punches were said to be full of magic whammy. Sometimes it was said that Supe's strength made him more resistant to magic attacks like a force bolt and his wasn't just a normal human in resistance. Sometimes he was. Go figure.

It's like the red sun weakness, never really explained. Is wavelengths that are in the region of the spectrum we see as 'red'? While our sun seems yellow, it certainly pumps out lots of those - see a rainbow! How do they weaken him? Does the specific wavelength not charge his cells or does that wavelength specifically inhibit a cellular reaction? But then my rainbow point unless the other wavelengths are more potent.

So magic and red are a mess and not really thought through. Don't get me started on the GL color spectrum - again ridiculous if you know optics and visual systems.
    Technically you can scrutinize any super power and none of them will make any sense. That's why we refer it to as comic book physics.

Astonishing Member

True but there are levels of suspend disbelief. I will believe that Supes can fly based on some physics unknown to us now. However, when the precept is blazingly stupid, that bothers me. Like the GL spectrum based on the color vision of old world primates that evolved on Earth a few million years ago. The colors have no real physical meaning except if you have wavelength specific effects, they are just perceptual interpretations of some primates.

Like the Earth being the center of life when the universe is billions of years old than Earth. Come on - follow the science!

You can do comic physics without stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    True but there are levels of suspend disbelief. I will believe that Supes can fly based on some physics unknown to us now. However, when the precept is blazingly stupid, that bothers me. Like the GL spectrum based on the color vision of old world primates that evolved on Earth a few million years ago. The colors have no real physical meaning except if you have wavelength specific effects, they are just perceptual interpretations of some primates.

Like the Earth being the center of life when the universe is billions of years old than Earth. Come on - follow the science!

You can do comic physics without stupid.
    Flight and eyebeams are so common no one thinks twice about it, but it's absolutely just as nonsensical as the light spectrum.

You can also argue that the DCU Earth is MUCH older. Why are comparing DC Earth to real world Earth.