Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default What kind of Black Label projects would you like to see?

For me, I'd love for them to do more Superman projects. Maybe like Clark or Lois investigating a killer or something. Something Zatanna related. Completely without Constantine.
    Assassinate Putin!

I want a mix of golden age JSA and Batman. My idea would be that this would be a period piece post-WW2, the JSA existed and they had a golden age Batman but it was Thomas Wayne. So in this continuity when he died, Bruce became Batman to take the place of his father. This ends up with him joining and training alongside the JSA, meeting Infinity Inc members and characters like modern Black Canary daughter of the original Black Canary
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Another Question miniseries but in the style of the Imposter.

What if Superman was raised in Bialya? 12 issue Elseworlds.

Constantine by Spurrier and Campbell continues with a season 2.

I don't know if it already happened in Lantern book, but a space/cosmic horror story involving the Green Lantern Corps would be nice. Either terrifying space creatures or the vast space itself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I want a mix of golden age JSA and Batman. My idea would be that this would be a period piece post-WW2, the JSA existed and they had a golden age Batman but it was Thomas Wayne. So in this continuity when he died, Bruce became Batman to take the place of his father. This ends up with him joining and training alongside the JSA, meeting Infinity Inc members and characters like modern Black Canary daughter of the original Black Canary
    That sounds neat!

I've long had this idea for a Power Girl Black Label series. The conceit of this is basically ''What if Kara landed on Earth before Kal-L?'' and would start with Kara arriving on earth in 1933 and making her debut as Power Girl in 1938. The series would follow an alternate history spawned by the world's first and most iconic superhero being a woman, and the long-term impact of this on politics and society in the decades that follow.

I had four volumes in mind for this. Vol 1 would reveal Kara's early years on earth in flashbacks and be primarily set in 1938-39, with a riff on the old Siegal/Shuster Superman stories, culminating in her fighting the Ultra-Humanity. Vol 2 would alternate between the mid-1950's and flashbacks to Kara's involvement in WW2, including her encounters with the JSA. Vol 3 would be set in the 1960's, and would feature her meeting Adam West and Burt Ward's take on Batman and Robin. And Vol 4 would be set around 1985, would tie into COIE, and would culminate in Kal-L finally coming to earth.

Astonishing Member

A cross between JSA: The Golden Age and The American Way. A 12 issue miniseries set in the 1950's and 1960's showing a JSA/JLA team trying to navigate the social issues of that era.

And not in a lock step way like heroes seemed to be in comics.

Wonder Woman, Black Canary and the 1940's Hawkgirl might all support woman's rights, they might not agree on how that works in day to day life.

With issues like Civil Rights some might feel that as individuals they need to take an active role. Others might think the JSA/JLA needs to support government actions but also steer clear of looking like they are strong-arming social change.

On that issue now that there is no macguffin (like the Spear of Destiny or Parsifal) how do the JSA/JLA approach politics. Are they supposed to keep that "iron curtain" from falling or just deal with actual crime and leave international diplomacy to the UN?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    A cross between JSA: The Golden Age and The American Way. A 12 issue miniseries set in the 1950's and 1960's showing a JSA/JLA team trying to navigate the social issues of that era.

And not in a lock step way like heroes seemed to be in comics.

Wonder Woman, Black Canary and the 1940's Hawkgirl might all support woman's rights, they might not agree on how that works in day to day life.

With issues like Civil Rights some might feel that as individuals they need to take an active role. Others might think the JSA/JLA needs to support government actions but also steer clear of looking like they are strong-arming social change.

On that issue now that there is no macguffin (like the Spear of Destiny or Parsifal) how do the JSA/JLA approach politics. Are they supposed to keep that "iron curtain" from falling or just deal with actual crime and leave international diplomacy to the UN?
    Yeah, in many ways this is the ultimate ''What if?'' of the DC Universe, one which they've avoided having to deal with because of all the retcons and reboots. What would the long-term consequences of the existence of superheroes be on human society and world history (or hell, even just US history)?

Logically, if the JSA and JLA existed on the same timeline, the world of the JLA would be very different from the real world. We tend to focus on stuff like what it would mean for Barry Allen's origin story if Jay Garrick's Flash was a historical figure on his world, and less on the kind of world Barry Allen lives in because superheroes were around since WW2 and how it would differ from the world and history as we know it.

The Other History of the DC Universe kinda tackled this a bit, by juxtaposing superheroes against real-world events of the 60's through to the 2000's, but the kind of miniseries you're suggesting would be an even better exploration of this idea.

It's a shame that Darwyn Cooke isn't among us anymore...otherwise a New Frontier sequel would have been the perfect place to do this kind of story!

Green Arrow/Vigilante by Garth Ennis.

A sequel to Batman:The Imposter or a crossover between The Imposter and Joker/Harley: Criminal Insanity. They feel like they fit together.

Villiany Inc.- a miniseries from the perspective of the Wonder Woman rogues gallery.

Jo Muellin of Far Sector gets a sequel by N.K. Jemisin.

A sequel to the other History of the DC Universe.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-07-2022 at 07:31 AM.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

A Pied Piper/David Singh miniseries would be perfect.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    That sounds neat!

I've long had this idea for a Power Girl Black Label series. The conceit of this is basically ''What if Kara landed on Earth before Kal-L?'' and would start with Kara arriving on earth in 1933 and making her debut as Power Girl in 1938. The series would follow an alternate history spawned by the world's first and most iconic superhero being a woman, and the long-term impact of this on politics and society in the decades that follow.

I had four volumes in mind for this. Vol 1 would reveal Kara's early years on earth in flashbacks and be primarily set in 1938-39, with a riff on the old Siegal/Shuster Superman stories, culminating in her fighting the Ultra-Humanity. Vol 2 would alternate between the mid-1950's and flashbacks to Kara's involvement in WW2, including her encounters with the JSA. Vol 3 would be set in the 1960's, and would feature her meeting Adam West and Burt Ward's take on Batman and Robin. And Vol 4 would be set around 1985, would tie into COIE, and would culminate in Kal-L finally coming to earth.
    This sounds really cool! I want to read this now! I think it would be interesting to see a world where some of the JSA support things like Vietnam while members of the JLA oppose it. Or have Alan Scott go down south to keep "order" during the civil rights movement thinking he's doing the right thing. Sort of a generational divide between the world the JSA grew up in and the world the JLA was living in.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    I don't know if it already happened in Lantern book, but a space/cosmic horror story involving the Green Lantern Corps would be nice. Either terrifying space creatures or the vast space itself.
    So like a cosmic noir story?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

A Conner Kent solo where Superman never comes back after his death.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Another Question miniseries but in the style of the Imposter.
    I haven't read The Imposter, but I agree we need another Question series. Still waiting for the return of some proper detective stories...

As for the rest of Black Label, anything non-Batman related will do, to be honest.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 02-07-2022 at 01:40 PM.

More stuff like Last God, Nice House on the Lake, and the Hill House books that are original complete stories and not just altered takes or rehashes of existing DC characters.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I haven't read The Imposter, but I agree we need another Question series. Still waiting for the return of some proper detective stories...

As for the rest of Black Label, anything non-Batman related will do, to be honest.
    That's a grounded real world take which fits the Question more. But I don't mind the conspiracy theorist take from JLU or the urban shaman from the 2000s. He's got options.

I'd be down for a Question/Huntress romance comic like Batman/Catwoman.