Default With Your Comics Do You Do Lists or just go with the flow?

When it comes to what comics you all read do you have a system? Like do you do lists or just pick up what ever run you want for the day and read it?

I have always done lists. Not just in comics but in every day life. For comics I have a list of Marvel comics to read that go from 1968 t0 1976. For Dc I have lists in the Golden Age that go up to 1943. I have always been a fan of the older comics but I am trying to get into newer comics. So I am reading some Spiderman from 2013 with the Superior run and going to jump into the kraroka Age in Xmen comics. On the DC side I started to read the 1997 JLA run.

So I do have my lists but some days it seems like an obligation to read more then a treat so I have my random stuff I am reading that is not on a list.

How do you guys do your comics? And any advice on how to go with the flow more?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I have lists, but then I end up going with the flow.

One problem is that with lists, it just gets to be a chore. It's not fun any more.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I've tried to do lists about what I want to buy, but eventually, I end up going with the flow. If a comicbook really interests me, I will buy it or read it at some point in my life anyways
    Last edited by Chubistian; 10-11-2022 at 07:49 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I buy faster than I read (I have a feeling this happens to a lot of people), so when I want to read something next I look at my shelves and see what saga or one shot I want to read next, without any real sequence logic or list. I only read collected editions btw, I don't buy floppies.

Let me give you an example - I was reading Marvel's Infinity Gauntlet + Infinity War + Infinity Crusade saga(s). Because it's such a long read with all the tie-ins, road to and aftermath titles, I wanted to read something lighter and faster next - so now I'm reading Havok & Wolverine Meltdown, which is a one shot and a very quick read. When I finish that (next weekend, probably), I want to read the Secret Invasion Omnibus next - I've never read it and I'm interested in reading it before the Secret Invasion MCU TV show. After that? Who knows - I'll read whatever I feel like reading next!

With TV shows, I have a list of shows I want to watch and haven't started yet and of those I am watching but am seasons behind. Otherwise I would forget, since it's a lot and I have terrible time management.

With books and comics it's easier, since I can just put the new ones on a pile - there are currently 2 very tall piles and they keep growing, as I buy faster now than read. I kep telling myself I have to stop buying them until I read some of those I have, since I am running out of space, but it's hard to resist.

I have recently made a list of all comics I have, so I can quickly check if I want to buy something new. I like older X-Men comics and there are several editions that are sometimes overlapping, so it was difficult to keep track without a list. But I haven't read a lot of them yet, I plan to do that when I have more time to read a lot in short time.

And as others have said, it can be overwhelming when I think about how much I still have to read/watch and not enough time. Sometimes it seems like a chore and I would like to be a bit more spontaneous, so that I could enjoy just picking something to watch at random, instead of something that I keep telling myself I need to watch. But that's my personality, I guess. First world problems, I know . It's kind of a relief to read that others have similar experiences.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

BANNED

I stopped buying monthlies last year, just buy cheap TPBs on eBay now. Pretty much read stuff as it comes in, and as I have time. Have some boxes set aside of stuff I bought in lots (when you buy more than one TPB because you want one or more in the pile, and then end up with stuff you didn't want) that I eventually need to donate, but some of that I'd like to at least read once in case I'm missing something.

Just read DC's "Invasion!" TPB (Giffen/Mantlo/McFarlane/Sears, despite creative team just a C/C- crossover alien invasion story) and I'm about to start the Incredible Hulk Epic Collection #13 (Mantlo as well, the Crossroads storyline which is my favorite Hulk storyline).

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    When it comes to what comics you all read do you have a system? Like do you do lists or just pick up what ever run you want for the day and read it?

I have always done lists. Not just in comics but in every day life. For comics I have a list of Marvel comics to read that go from 1968 t0 1976. For Dc I have lists in the Golden Age that go up to 1943. I have always been a fan of the older comics but I am trying to get into newer comics. So I am reading some Spiderman from 2013 with the Superior run and going to jump into the kraroka Age in Xmen comics. On the DC side I started to read the 1997 JLA run.

So I do have my lists but some days it seems like an obligation to read more then a treat so I have my random stuff I am reading that is not on a list.

How do you guys do your comics? And any advice on how to go with the flow more?
    ^^^I def. have lists.
    I have everything categorized and color coded! And I read each week’s books in a certain order.

I've got a list of books I collect or want to buy and the week they are scheduled to come out. This primarily let's me know if I am missing anything as not everything I buy has been put on my LCS pull list. I do not limit myself to the list however because the captain is not immune to impulse buying..
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?