Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    While I agree that the heat vision won't ignite the oxygen in the air, I'm curious about how J'Onn vs the heat vision works out.

Does it affect him like fire would, if yes can he phase to avoid it?
    Well, a laser is essentially the same thing as fire, just even more intense, so it should work but- comic book physics, so, who knows?

Does J'onn normally need to focus to go intangible while doing anything else like a mind whammy? Or is that just a limitation he suddenly has only when fighting Black Adam or Superman?
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    *wearily resets the clock to zero*
    As a side-note, I always thing ‘Torquasm’ sounds like the end result of some weird rotary masturbation.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    As a side-note, I always thing ‘Torquasm’ sounds like the end result of some weird rotary masturbation.
    Is rotary masturbation a thing that happened back in the the 70's and before?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Is rotary masturbation a thing that happened back in the the 70's and before?
    Maybe. Thanks to the movie American Graffiti, there was a brief '50s revival in the '70s, with Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley keeping the whole mess going for years afterwards. The biggest insult on Happy Days that the tv censors would allow was "sit on it and rotate," which was the faux '50s version of GFY.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Superman has better feats for any stat, but if he don't speed-blitzes or immediately overwhelms Martian Manhunter, he probably gets defeated by Martian Manhunter's hax.
    This is basically it. I think a blitz may is likely though. I'm only aware of one great speed feat for J'onn and it involves using telepathy in planck time, which is probably SMVSFL.

I don't think J'onn has much to be concerned about with heat vision as he can just phase through it.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Well, a laser is essentially the same thing as fire, just even more intense, so it should work but- comic book physics, so, who knows?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't J'onn's pyrophobia a purely psychological weakness caused by him witnessing his family burning alive?

If so it's feasible he wouldn't have a problem with heat vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle
    *whispers* Torquasm Vo *whispers*

Wut.
    No offence but what exactly is wrong with *whispers* Torquasm Vo? *whispers*

As I understand it's basically a kind of mental training/discipline that allows a user to better resist psychic attack. What is the problem with this?
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 02-09-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't J'onn's pyrophobia a purely psychological weakness caused by him witnessing his family burning alive?
    As I recall, the Guardians "programmed" the ancient Martians millions of years ago with a psychosomatic response to fire. Yep. The Guardians were that threatened by the original Martians.

If so it's feasible he wouldn't have a problem with heat vision.
    He won't.

He and Wally West, for example, phased through a nuclear explosion just fine.

As I understand it's basically a kind of mental training/discipline that allows a user to better resist psychic attack. What is the problem with this?
    I think the reference is meant in a joking way. With torquasm vo, it's (as the story goes) an ancient Kryptonian martial art that allows mental defense against telepathy. The problem is it only works in the "theta state", one of complete relaxation IIRC. At any rate, it doesn't often work save once maybe?

Edit: It worked temporarily against Dominus, for example, until Dominus easily shook him out of his meditative state. Later, with Eradicator, Clark and Eradicator already had a psychic connection, and the Eradicator he met in MoS 114, was mentally unbalanced. So torquasm vo/ *worked* /on that occasion. If I was to reject the instance against Eradicator altogether in MoS 114, I would say it was complete baloney as Clark was doing stuff like projecting illusions into Eradicator's mind. BIG asterisk.

Also noteworthy, by and large, Clark doesn't have anything that consistently resembles strong telepathic resistance. And J'onn is a better than average telepath.
    Last edited by Cronus; 02-09-2022 at 09:11 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post

@Cronus gave you the technical response of why it's laughable. Here on the board, it's kind of a meme: it used to be brought up semi-seriously as a way Clark could hang with telepaths (and also as a general martial art for Supes fighting depowered and such), but, as Cronus points out, it's such a joke that now it's just a trigger for the sequence you see above. I don't think that anyone has used it on the board except as a meme in quite a while.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan