Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Was it a mistake for Star Wars to be part of Disney?

To this day, I feel that George Lucas make a grave error in judgement by selling Star Wars to Disney. When the announcement was made that Disney would acquire Lucas Studios, I lost interest in anything Stars Wars related. Anything Disney puts its hands on an independent brand they ruin it. Just look at what was done to Capital Cities/ABC when they took over. Boring.

Extraordinary Member

Whether it was good or bad is a matter of a opinion. It's been done since several years back now and is unlikely to change.

And one of the reasons he did sell was because "fans" would stop being assholes about the prequels. So they largely have themsel to blame if they don't like the current direction of the series.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 02-09-2022 at 02:23 AM.

At first, it seemed like a promising development, i enjoyed TFA and the comic featuring the OT heroes as well as the one featuring Darth Vader. But the movies went downhill after that (ESPECIALLY tRoS) and for that i largely blame Kathleen Kennedy for not putting someone in a Feige-like position to oversee things, resulting in an extremely disjointed ST.

They were fortunate enough to strike gold when Favreau came up with the idea to do a Lone Wolf & Cub knockoff that turned out to be quite entertaining, but feels like S2 and now BoBF, while both still entertaining, are kind of diminishing returns as showrunners seem to have a pathological need to tie every character to every other other character and make the galaxy extremely small.

They could right the ship imo but there's no guarantee of that.

Also, this thread belongs in the Star Wars forum

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    To this day, I feel that George Lucas make a grave error in judgement by selling Star Wars to Disney. When the announcement was made that Disney would acquire Lucas Studios, I lost interest in anything Stars Wars related. Anything Disney puts its hands on an independent brand they ruin it. Just look at what was done to Capital Cities/ABC when they took over. Boring.
    They haven’t ruined Marvel or Pixar.

I didnt like the movies. I think Diseny just thought they could slap Star Wars on anything and people would be happy with it and it would sell.

But there is no changing it. Disney is not going to sell Star Wars any time soon. So we just have to hope they can right the ship if they want to do more movies.

I do enjoy Mado and the Book of Bobba Fett. I also enjoyed the comics that came out like the Darth Vader Series. So they are not doing all bad. They just bombed on the movies. And that is just from a fan stand point. If I remember right the PT did pretty well in the Bo Office.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    They haven’t ruined Marvel or Pixar.
    They did not. Pixar movies are some of my favorite! And I love most of the MCU.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

For me as a fan of the original trilogy: yes, it's been awful.

For the brand, Disney, and younger/newer fans, no.

Mighty Member

No.

I don't think the fact that the franchise got sold to Disney was a mistake.

it was how they handled the property after getting it that I think got screwed up. that's not something anybody could be expected to know prior to the sale.

out of the new films the only one I sorta enjoyed was "Rogue One". "The Mandalorian" was fun... but "Boba Fett" has been pretty underwhelming.

I already know, for a fact, that I strongly disagree with Lucas on a lot of his ideas... I'm also convinced that the greatness of the OT was the byproduct of a collaborative effort from everybody involved and NOT the result of one man's particular 'genius'.

we're never gonna get the lightning in a bottle of the OT again. so, I'm not gonna pretend that the 'magic' could happen again. Lucas gave us the prequels... and I didn't really like them all that much. so, it didn't really matter WHO got the property... we would get some hits and misses either way.

that being said, though I wasn't thrilled with "Boba Fett", even if it didn't score a bullseye.... it at LEAST put the bullet on the target board (near the edge, I'm afraid).

I liked The High Republic comic so I'm fine with it.

I’m split. I really liked TFA a lot and Solo aswell. Loved Rogue one though, it’s one of my favorite Star Wars movies period. Last two Trilogy movies though we’re not good. Action and special effects were all done well but story wise I did not like them. So it’s 3 out of 5 for me on the film side. Now tv i loved both seasons of Mandalorian. I liked book of boba fett. The best episodes were just episodes of the Mandalorian. I don’t mind characters popping up and don’t think it makes the universe seem small. If the inclusion makes sense. There isn’t a character who’s popped up in the tv shows that didn’t make sense in the story. Kinda sucks everything seems to happen on Tatooine. Lol next up is Obi-Wan I assume a big chunk of that takes place there as he watches over a young Luke(Do we know anything plot wise other then it takes place between Episode 3 and 4?) anyway yea I wish the new trilogy would have turned out better with those last two films. Other then that I’ve been very happy with what Disney has done with Star Wars and look forward to what’s next.

What properties did they acquire and ruin? Marvel? no other then The OG Ironman all the best Marvel films were made after Disney took over. Pixar? No they are still turning out amazing films. I don’t know what I’m missing that Disney ruined.

I don't really care. I don't think George Lucas was really interested in doing more with Star Wars, so he sold the property to a company who could meet his asking price. I also haven't hated Disney's Star Wars. I've liked some, I've disliked some, which has kind of been the same relationship I've had with all of Star Wars. So far, there has been about as much good as there has been bad, which considering Star Wars' batting average, is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Whether it was good or bad is a matter of a opinion. It's been done since several years back now and is unlikely to change.

And one of the reasons he did sell was because "fans" would stop being assholes about the prequels. So they largely have themsel to blame if they don't like the current direction of the series.
    Definitely. Lucas is on-film saying he was done with Star Wars because of the endless flak over the prequels. So, it's a moot point, in a way. If Disney had not made an offer to buy it, it would have been done as far as it's main medium of movies.

Granted, it's been hit and miss with the main (numbered) movies generally hitting the bottom of the list, granting that's an opinion, not a fact. But I loved "Rogue One". It's sad ending actually enhanced rather than damaged it. And the Mandalorian? Best thing since the original trilogy and equal in some ways. Haven't seen Bobba Fett yet.

But there is good reason to think there can still be some good things coming from Disney's Star Wars.
    Power with Girl is better.

Not at all. If Disney hadn't bought it, we likely wouldn't have gotten any new live-action Star Wars material.

People keep mentioning Mando and Rogue One (rightfully so on both), but under Disney we also got Rebels, the final season of Clone Wars and Bad Batch, all of which were really good.

Not everything a company does is going to knock it out of the park 100% of the time. It's just in the Disney/Star Wars case they've tend to do their better stuff on TV instead of the movies, so the failures appear bigger since they're on a larger scale.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I don't really care. I don't think George Lucas was really interested in doing more with Star Wars, so he sold the property to a company who could meet his asking price. I also haven't hated Disney's Star Wars. I've liked some, I've disliked some, which has kind of been the same relationship I've had with all of Star Wars. So far, there has been about as much good as there has been bad, which considering Star Wars' batting average, is pretty good.
    He did seem pretty burned out around the time of the sale. He intended to release all the films in 3D but the response to TPM 3D was pretty lukewarm, and Red Tails-a project he'd been working since '88-wasn't well received either. TV Star wars outside of Clone Wars was pretty much in development hell apart from parody specials (and let's not forget the planned "Detours" *shivers*) So he probably figured things would work out in other hands and he could go back to being a bit more low-profile/retired (Which seems to have helped-he got married again and has a new daughter).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth