Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Honestly, I love reboots like the New Fifty Two and Disney Star Wars because it provides the perfect opportunity for a jumping off point.

Knowing that things are set in a different continuity means I can happily ignore anything after 2014. We had a good run of 37 years. I don't quite sympathize with the people who agonize over how mediocre the sequel trilogy is. They would be much happier if they moved on to better and brighter things or checked out the classic novels, comics, games that they never experienced before.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

More than likely. George was the renegade that wanted to fund Star Wars himself outside of the normal studio system. So for it to be owned by Disney flies directly in the face of that. But for better or worse it means as long as its profitable it will likely always be around with new content. So you will likely never again have anything like the time period between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace coming out with no new content to watch. I couldn't really say if that is good or bad. But it is the way it will be now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    And now Charles Soule has been made a creative consultant at Lucas Film.
    Charles Soule has MOVED ON from writing superhero comics for Marvel. Good for him.

BANNED

Something has been wrong with "Starwars" even before Disney.

1. Teddy-Beer natives on a planet
    2. Jar Jar Binks
    3. Starwars Chirstmas Special with official cast and crew which has been considered Cannon ( Whatever Sarah Silverman said and doing research of former CEO and COO at Disney )
    4. The Carpenter formerly known as Harrison Ford warnings

NOTE: So I can not write the word "B E A R" ( as in an animal or Teddy-B ) but I can write "B E E R" as an alcoholic beverage ? I can even write "Bare all" but not B E A R???

I will gladly take Mandalorian, Rogue One, Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, TFA, Solo, The Book of Boba Fett, Rebels, The Bad Batch, Tales of the Jedi, TROS, Visions, and Resistance over the Ewok Movies, Droids Cartoon, Ewoks Cartoon, Special Editions, and Prequels.

Since ROTJ on film Disney's only massive misstep for me was TLJ while the only thing on film Lucas did right was the Clone Wars Series IMO.

Extraordinary Member

Overall, I think it's ended up a good thing, primarily because Lucas was too conservative to put out movies or Live Action shows that he wasn't personally overseeing on some level, and now modern LFL is willing to commit to that type of production level and ambition. Having said that... Lucas's reign should be seen as far more productive and healthy for the non-live action stuff (even if he unnecessarily ignored it at times), and if LFL had allowed the same production short sightedness that screwed up the ST to infect the rest of the live action products, the franchise would be screwed - or if they'd experienced those problems on a stand-alone project rather than a Saga-related trilogy, they'd be so far ahead of Lucas it wouldn't be funny.

Lucas wouldn't have gotten around to producing the Disney+ shows or Rogue One, either in quantity or quality... But he also wouldn't have crippled the Saga with a film like TLJ, and if he had released a film that neuters so much stuff as TLJ did, he would have far more heartily rejected it than LFL did.

Lucas was too far-sighted, creatively empathetic with his audience, and business-smart to kill off an entire era of storytelling, trash the Skywalkers, and intentionally sabotage new characters like TLJ did, and he'd never accept a situation where Luke Skywalker is so difficult to write without stepping on a film's toes that he's basically on the bench outside of very limited cameos tightly controlled by technicalities. and, y'know, he probably wouldn't have tacitly accepted racism or sexism to the extent it would screw over his main characters, like LFL did. LFL was thinking too myopically, too shallowly, and too apathetically when they approved TLJ's script, and then were too proud of it to do the last movie well or to remedy the situaiton right now.

...But Lucas also was a bit too stubborn and a bit too control-freak to have anything like The Mandalorian, with a more complex cultural situation, distinct and strong directional production values, or to allow it to eventually be joined by multiple live actions shows as well.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I will gladly take Mandalorian, Rogue One, Andor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, TFA, Solo, The Book of Boba Fett, Rebels, The Bad Batch, Tales of the Jedi, TROS, Visions, and Resistance over the Ewok Movies, Droids Cartoon, Ewoks Cartoon, Special Editions, and Prequels.

Since ROTJ on film Disney's only massive misstep for me was TLJ while the only thing on film Lucas did right was the Clone Wars Series IMO.
    Hey now, I loved the first Ewok movie!
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Hey now, I loved the first Ewok movie!
    I will admit I have a soft spot for them because I saw them as a kid. But I can also admit they're not good and when comparing Disney and Lucas' track records post ROTJ I have to give the win to all the Disney projects over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I will admit I have a soft spot for them because I saw them as a kid. But I can also admit they're not good and when comparing Disney and Lucas' track records post ROTJ I have to give the win to all the Disney projects over them.
    I'm definitely a fan of most of Disney's out put, sequel trilogy aside, and outside of the Clone Wars I'd say the Disney stuff is better than what Lucas put out after the original trilogy over all but there is something simple and fun about Caravan of Courage that I think still holds up well to this day. The sequel? Yeah, that was mostly a mess but a group of Ewoks undertaking a mystical quest to reunite a couple of kids with their parents is grade A Star Wars magic in my mind.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Honestly, I love reboots like the New Fifty Two and Disney Star Wars because it provides the perfect opportunity for a jumping off point.

Knowing that things are set in a different continuity means I can happily ignore anything after 2014. We had a good run of 37 years. I don't quite sympathize with the people who agonize over how mediocre the sequel trilogy is. They would be much happier if they moved on to better and brighter things or checked out the classic novels, comics, games that they never experienced before.
    What happens is that "It is just tales" and they have to suite the fans needs while suiting those
    people who "impulsively" sees "Starwars" branding and will jump on anything resembling Starwars.
    Because of this branding people who are honest to gosh darn writers, visual artists, special
    effects artists and directors are unable to make anything unique or different only suiting the
    needs of the lessers to "have income/job" ( be an unimportant slave who expected to not have a voice and
    is considered replaceable ). They are mass producings cookie-cutter productions with whatever material
    they could muster from the main-stream of events.

Another issue you present is the "possibilities". The "Starwars" branding itself is clutered with
    "Cheeze". By that I mean to say the material is not believable to the point where you could see and
    hear the actual "Staff" mocking the series itself. It is like they just insert-garbage here and make
    a cheap profit there.

Take the Live-Action Western release of "Speed Racer". They turned it into a family film, and not into
    the speed-racer, with racer x. They made it into a mockery of itself, as with "Scooby-Duo" live-action
    films. I am watching "Peter Griffon" from family guy with a fat-chin, and tub-o-lard gut, while the
    majority of the film is presenting this product-placement, suggestive-content, propaganda play out
    before my eyes.

I will admit "Yes" that the IP owners, license-holders, could continue to make a profit and "maybe" some enjoyable works
    could be generated from it. However looking at it from the "barebones" operations, ground-up your
    seeing a product placed in front of some stereotypical Christian who plays
    "Sacrifical lamb impulsive consumer" only to suit the needs of somebody sniffing cocaine off somebodies
    genitles. Yes I will admit that much in terms of continue usage of the series. I could careless about
    the "little-guy" who is trying to do something with their lives, all through this only to feed into
    something unoriginal.

Remember the auwsome film "District 9". No way that could come out any of those team-members under
    Disney's operation. That took years of one man working on various projects having the freedom to express
    themselves through various roles of production. Nowadays they just call in whoever and marketing whatever.
    Just to get a remark from people.

Your right. Being a consumer I have moved on. I checkout the other material. However the big issue is how it is being used. It is like okay this is the day when I cancel my subscriptions and go full on "monk" with anything media.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm definitely a fan of most of Disney's out put, sequel trilogy aside, and outside of the Clone Wars I'd say the Disney stuff is better than what Lucas put out after the original trilogy over all but there is something simple and fun about Caravan of Courage that I think still holds up well to this day. The sequel? Yeah, that was mostly a mess but a group of Ewoks undertaking a mystical quest to reunite a couple of kids with their parents is grade A Star Wars magic in my mind.
    The sequel did have the Bluurgs which showed up in the Mandalorian.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The sequel did have the Bluurgs which showed up in the Mandalorian.
    Yeah, and I did like the speedy little not-an-ewok guy, but the whole bit where all of Cindell's family gets slaughtered was just totally discordant with the tone of the series.

So Iger is back in charge. Don't think this will change that much, Chapek only ran the company for two years and probably wasn't that involved in some of the SW missteps that have been made here and there, apart from maybe losing some of the film & TV projects.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

So Iger is back in charge. Don't think this will change that much, Chapek only ran the company for two years and probably wasn't that involved in some of the SW missteps that have been made here and there, apart from maybe losing some of the film & TV projects.
    I also don’t think either anger or Chapek are in a hurry to try interfering in Kennedy’s business - while she may have struggled with producing the Sequel Trilogy, that was only after Iger set an insane development and release schedule right out the gate, and not only did she still manage to deliver 4 $billion+ movies on time (even for the underperforming TLJ and TROS), she also pivoted to being the cornerstone of Disney+ lightning quick once Solo underperformed.

And even her costliest* error (hiring Rian Johnson and giving him carte blanche) is one that can hardly be held against her as a producer busy overseeing multiple movies, TV shows, and other activity all at the same time; TLJ may not make any money if couldn’t leech off Lucas’s films and TFA, but otherwise his career is a series of over performing hits, and it’s clear Hollywood as a whole wanted TLJ to be the next step of Star Wars, and were just as thrown by the backlash in its reception and the chaos it unleashed on the larger story (including the BTS issues of TROS) as the audience was… and she was immediately promoting Dave Filoni to more and more responsibilities.

Iger always struck me as a delegator, self-aware that he’s not a creative person himself and that he either needs creative guys beneath him or other self-aware administrators. LFL likely isn’t changing much of anything; I believe even their delays in getting movies out is more the cold realization of how daunting Star Wars films are when even hardcore professional fans like Pablo Hidalgo thought TLJ was great when it wasn’t.

*(I’m counting all the chaos behind TROS, a sizable contributing lack of goodwill to the already troubled Solo, and the huge drop in performance after TFA, both in box office and in spin off material, on TLJ; Solo is the more immediately quantifiable loss, but I think TLJ is responsible for half the audience disappearing and for the merch and spin-off material dying a brutally swift death.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Sui Generis Member Tobei Miyake's Avatar

I don't think it changes much either. Unless Bob Iger is bringing someone back with him that has a pitch for a movie that tells what happens after The Rise of Skywalker. Because that seems to be the stumbling block with Star Wars.

They're doing a bunch of Disney+ shows that are filling in the blanks, but not anything that shows what happens next.

That said, my favorite Star Wars movie is Rogue One, and by extension I love Andor, which I think is by far the best Star Wars Disney+ show. And those are the ultimate filling in the blanks, so I don't have much room to talk. But they do need to move forward again.

Rian Johnson has something. And I am one of those who absolutely loved The Last Jedi, so maybe Bob Iger will green-light whatever it is that Rian Johnson wanted to do.

And that would be a great irony for some. Bob Iger comes back and he green-lights Rian Johnson's trilogy.