Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Honestly I watch ANH and ROTJ just to watch the Deathstar blow up. That's the only joy.

For ESB, it's Han flying into meteor shower.

I hated Episodes 8 and 9 of the main Saga and that has been the main dark spot of Star Wars for me since Disney bought the franchise. I have liked the TV shows so far as well as the Animated shows.
    Wouldn't the last series be ep 8, 9 and 10? Clone wars movie is canon, released in theatres and stars all the main heroes from the main films. Isn't it ep 8 in the series?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Wouldn't the last series be ep 8, 9 and 10? Clone wars movie is canon, released in theatres and stars all the main heroes from the main films. Isn't it ep 8 in the series?
    Episodes only apply to films official part of the "Skywalker Saga" TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, TESB, ROTJ, TFA, TLJ, & TROS. Films like Rogue One, Solo, and Clone Wars don't count they're canon just not part of the main story, but treated more like side stories.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

YES, they have screwed up the franchise beyond belief ! Compare to sequels the prequels look like Casblanca, Gone with the Wind, and Citizen Kane
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Andor is the best thing to come out of Star Wars since The Empire Strikes Back and both Mandalorian and Rogue One are Great.

Also, while Obi-Wan Kenobi and Solo had issues I'd still say they're better than the Prequels.

The Book of Fett was good too once it became Mandalorian season 2.5.

Animation Wise Rebels, Clone Wars Season 7, Bad Batch, and Tales of the Jedi have all been good.

even with the mismanagement of the sequels IMO we've gotten more good than bad from Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    YES, they have screwed up the franchise beyond belief ! Compare to sequels the prequels look like Casblanca, Gone with the Wind, and Citizen Kane
    This is a very reactionary and myopic point of view. As had been stated, we now have way more Star Wars content than we ever would've gotten with GL and most of it is better than what he did, sans the OT.

Fantastic Member

I really like the TV star wars content we're getting now. I think the lesson is to get away from Skywalker/Vader/Palpatine as much as possible. We've got a great universe... now let's tell some new stories.

I find the whataboutism concerning the prequels to be amusing. Folks some of you didn't like the prequels, but contrary to what Redlettermedia fanboys would have you believe it didn't break anything or harm the long term health of the franchise like the sequel trilogy did.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I find the whataboutism concerning the prequels to be amusing. Folks some of you didn't like the prequels, but contrary to what Redlettermedia fanboys would have you believe it didn't break anything or harm the long term health of the franchise like the sequel trilogy did.
    Agreed. The prequels had issues, that is true. A lot of it was in the way it was written. Like certain lines (I hate sand) and what not. But the overall story and flow of prequels add on to the original trilogy, along with finally getting to see not only the Jedi in their prime, but the Clone Wars that so changed the galaxy.

The sequels... They did not have Leia hug Chewie. For that alone, I condemn them. Killing of the Skywalkers? Great, there goes the family of Star Wars. Not having Luke, Leia, and Han in one movie? I can forgive when Carrie Fischer died, obviously, but prior? That sucked. What they did to Luke, whom still saw good in Darth Vader?
    ... I'll stop the rant there. But yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Agreed. The prequels had issues, that is true. A lot of it was in the way it was written. Like certain lines (I hate sand) and what not. But the overall story and flow of prequels add on to the original trilogy, along with finally getting to see not only the Jedi in their prime, but the Clone Wars that so changed the galaxy.

The sequels... They did not have Leia hug Chewie. For that alone, I condemn them. Killing of the Skywalkers? Great, there goes the family of Star Wars. Not having Luke, Leia, and Han in one movie? I can forgive when Carrie Fischer died, obviously, but prior? That sucked. What they did to Luke, whom still saw good in Darth Vader?
    ... I'll stop the rant there. But yeah.
    Not only that, but people actually liked revisiting the prequel era. Actual thought was put into the prequel's design language and it's original characters. The sequel trilogy by comparison feels as if it's Stars Wars...by way ChatGPT.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Not only that, but people actually liked revisiting the prequel era. Actual thought was put into the prequel's design language and it's original characters. The sequel trilogy by comparison feels as if it's Stars Wars...by way ChatGPT.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again most people who enjoy the Prequel and Prequel era grew up with it. In 2006 if you told me anyone would love the Prequels let alone consider it their Star Wars over the original Trilogy, I'd would have called you nuts. I mean the world of the Prequels looks CGI and fake and it's only gotten worse with time given CGI has gotten better and the writing of the characters is even worse than the CGI. But today there is a whole generation who grew up and love those films and they had other choices Raimi's Spider-Man, LOTR, and Harry Potter were all released at those time to captivate their imaginations, yet they embraced the Prequels.

So, while the Sequels weren't any better time will tell if they have a following just like it did for the Prequels. As crazy as it may sound today in 10 or 15 years, we might start hearing people call the Sequels their Star Wars.

Astonishing Member

It could be argued that for Disney Star Wars is only one property among many, while for Lucas and his company it was the bread and butter. This difference in perceived importance and management seems to have had a major impact on how it was handled by either entities.

For all their fault the prequels had three major advantages, which the sequel trilogy missed out on.

First. The expansion of the Jedi and on screen presentation of them in their prime.

Second. Revealing stories which were left mysteries to the viewers of the original trilogy.

Third. The quantity and quality of additional media and how they fleshed out the new world.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again most people who enjoy the Prequel and Prequel era grew up with it. In 2006 if you told me anyone would love the Prequels let alone consider it their Star Wars over the original Trilogy, I'd would have called you nuts. I mean the world of the Prequels looks CGI and fake and it's only gotten worse with time given CGI has gotten better and the writing of the characters is even worse than the CGI. But today there is a whole generation who grew up and love those films and they had other choices Raimi's Spider-Man, LOTR, and Harry Potter were all released at those time to captivate their imaginations, yet they embraced the Prequels.

So, while the Sequels weren't any better time will tell if they have a following just like it did for the Prequels. As crazy as it may sound today in 10 or 15 years, we might start hearing people call the Sequels their Star Wars.
    I think it’s not quite that simple because of several variables, though I’ll admit, only one that I think is “so significant” that it can’t downplayed and may be far more dependent on that new Post-ST movie coming out:

3. The ST grew more “conservative” as it went on while the PT didn’t. - Once TLJ came out, it became clear that LFL disliked having John Boyega as the male lead and was apathetic or nervous about having Daisy Ridley as the main character, and would dedicate itself in both TLJ and TROS to instead promoting the older white dude in Adam driver as Ben Solo as the main focus, particularly in its media spin. TLJ also “robbed” Rey of a movie to give Luke Skywalker a very “Mid-Life Crisis For White Dudes”-type of story, and then to kill him off before he could properly pass the torch to Rey. Market research at the time showed that these decisions meant that The ST’s overall audience and its most ardent supporters grew whiter, more male, and maybe most importantly older even as half the audience stopped paying attention between TFA and TROS. The PT, in contrast, became more timely as its release rolled out, and while it had issues with representation and such, it also didn’t ever endorse its abusive romance with a mass murderer the way the ST did - Anakin/Vader choking Padme is one of the things done to show he deserves to have his balls melted off with half his body, while the ST did its best to prostitute Rey to Kylo/Ben through him abusing and assaulting her.

Still, this could be downplayed or older folks projecting their feelings - and higher standards than Rian Johnson - backwards.

2. The PT’s multimedia blitz of material fed its fanbase to gluttonous extent, while the ST’s expanded universe was defined by contradictions and a dearth of development. I’d argue that almost every hardcore fan who complained about the PT at its release was guaranteed to be buying the video games, comic book, and regular books released to flesh out the period even more - which often led to them still being fans of the era even if they didn’t like the movies. On top of that, it almost certainly “jacked up” the young fanbase that liked the PT in a way that the ST simply didn’t get… partially because what successful spin-off material the ST had was frequently ignored or undercut by the films as they fought each other. LFL had Marvel produce a successful comic based off TFA!Poe that Rian Johnson than blatantly contradicted as he set about bitterly making fun of archetypes he mis-identified in TFA, helping to cancel the comic, while kids who grew up with Harry Potter and Alex Rider also had Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest to read.

Yes, TCW wound up retconning most of the material - but it still fueled a massive PT fanbase at the time.

Again, though, this isn’t the biggest deal, which is…

3. The ST fought itself over who the main character were, who the main villain was, what characterizations anyone had, and what the audience was supposed to like and dislike. This is the big one, to me. Half of TLJ’s fans are fanatical devotees to Adam Driver as Ben Solo as the “real” attraction of the story, have a paranoid fear and hatred of John Boyega being better as Finn and only see Daisy Ridley’s Rey as a tool for worshipping Kylo, and are willing to throw any of the OT3 either under the bus to excuse Ben Solo going evil or sacrifice them to the altar of selling Ben Solo as the heir everyone should want. Half of TFA’s fans love Rey with an attitude and spine, love Finn as athe male lead, and like Kylo as a timely example of white male privilege … and thus loathe TLJ. TROS? It only had half the audience of TFA in the first place, and only about half its fans were completely satisfied while the other half were either pissed Ben Solo was dead or pissed he got kissed by Rey.

I mean… even John Boyega got pissed at how Finn got screwed, enough to end up with a short argument with Jason Fry who was carrying the water for TLJ.

And that’s just the fans who engaged with the ST characters - we already know the OT3 fans had an explosive reaction, and let’s not pretend that the OT3’s fans are limited to those who were around for their theatrical releases.

But that’s also where the ST getting a sequel in a year or two could have massive impact on the ST’s legacy and how it’s generation of fans react to it; if the rumor is true that they’ve got Boyega back, and if they can give Rey a worthy story, and not allow the Ben Solo fanbase at LFL to screw them over again, they could seriously reinvigorate their fanbases.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I think the biggest difference between the prequels and sequels is that the prequels knew what their endgame was while the sequels were literally making it up as they went along.

They're both bad trilogies, but bad in very different ways. The prequels were trash when it came to dialogue and a lot of their plot points were weak as hell, with a healthy amount of PIS required to get everyone through the narrative. The sequels had stronger dialogue (in most cases) but were disjointed as hell, picking up, dropping, and changing plot points as they went.

Established fans hated the prequels but they still created a whole new generation of fan. I'm sure the sequels are the same way. And just like subsequent material like the Clone Wars cartoon helped make the prequel era stronger, more sequel era material will do the same.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So it looks like Rey and possibly other returning characters will have a "mentor" role with someone else playing the new lead. Reportedly their first choice quit.

Hopefully it's not the same old she unwillingly created a new dark-sider so she has to go off into exile trope.

Although it'd be kind of interesting if she gets 'fired' from the job by whatever version of the Republic has happened, because of her family. In Disney continuity, everybody finding out who Leia's father really was the end of her political career (although maybe not Luke's, although it probably didn't help his training of Ben).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-24-2023 at 10:32 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth