Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

The question is, what would we have instead? The last trilogy wasn't good, so maybe Lucas would have given us better sequels.
    But would we get Mando and Boba Fett an the other things Disney is doing?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The question is, what would we have instead? The last trilogy wasn't good, so maybe Lucas would have given us better sequels.
    But would we get Mando and Boba Fett an the other things Disney is doing?
    I don't know if fans would've liked Lucas's sequels given how they responded to the prequels.

It's a monkey's paw situation.

When you think about it, It's actually pretty amazing for a film from 1977 to have got a spin-off as strong as The Mandalorian over forty years on. Alien has not been nearly as lucky in its diminishing returns sequels.

There is nothing to suggest that Lucas had any better ideas than putting Hayden Christiensen in front of a green screen and yelling "more wooden!" at him through a megaphone every time he got too close to a genuine human emotion.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 02-09-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't know if fans would've liked Lucas's sequels given how they responded to the prequels.

It's a monkey's paw situation.
    Lucas's ideas for the sequel trilogy involved a "microbiotic world" concept or something like that...maybe something like the Quantum realm in the MCU?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Lucas's ideas for the sequel trilogy involved a "microbiotic world" concept or something like that...maybe something like the Quantum realm in the MCU?
    That's not what I meant. His ideas weren't the problem, the execution was.

But I think it would've been better if he did the sequel trilogy over the prequels. I always found prequels harder to pull off.

Mighty Member

Short answer: No

Long answer: Three of my favorite Star Wars projects of all time have been under Disney. Rebels, The Mandalorian and Rogue One. I would put them up against anything George did and feel completely satisfied with the results.

Disney has had some misses, definitely. The ST was a debacle from the start. Not having a single, unified vision or a coherent, developed core narrative from the beginning were colossal mistakes. I think everyone can agree on that, even if we may disagree on what went wrong with the individual films or their respective qualities.

I think the only one that was really bad out of the new Trilogy was the last one. Which is much better than I can say for Lucas's prequels.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

No. We got some great TV Star Wars under Disney. Rebels, 7th season of Clone Wars, Visions and The Mandalorian have been great. Bad Batch is an enjoyable show. Disney did produce my favorite film Rogue One.

Star Wars on TV is firing on all cylinders. I don't need films

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    That's not what I meant. His ideas weren't the problem, the execution was.

But I think it would've been better if he did the sequel trilogy over the prequels. I always found prequels harder to pull off.
    Also, in spite of all the complaints about the prequels, someone defined the real complaint perfectly when he said, "Would someone please just kill this kid now before he becomes Darth Vader and causes the deaths of millions". It's the old "Kill Hitler as a baby" argument. We already basically knew what was going to happen.

As Roger Ebert put it, "If it were [really] the first "Star Wars" movie, "The Phantom Menace" would be hailed as a visionary breakthrough. But this is the fourth movie of the famous series, and we think we know the territory..."

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/s...om-menace-1999
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

First off, I think of this as the Disney era rather than “Disney Star Wars,” since I think that Disney itself would really rather LFL take the reigns for the actual management of the property.

Secondly, I think the biggest disadvantage of Lucas *both* selling the company and having Disney and LFL sideline him form the major advisory role he wanted on the ST (as per Bob Iger’s own autobiography) was the ST ending up so much worse than it should have been, and seemingly torching the Skywalker family story in an abysmal failure of missed opportunities, mixed messages, and surprising contempt from some creator-fans of the brand. Like, while people bring up the microbial world stuff as a sign of where Lucas could go wrong, I’d also like to point out that it’s pretty clear his female protagonist was a Solo daughter, sot he family wasn’t wiped out with a spiteful shitstain like Kylo roping the female hero into a boringly bland and abusive relationship.

But, thirdly… the kind of audience demand that Disney ordered Kathleen Kennedy to fulfill is also something Lucas almost certainly wouldn’t have pursued, for good early on, but for ill as time developed. Lucas’s perfectionism would have likely led to some unnecessary and limiting impediments over time, even though he wouldn’t have crashed and burned the ST. Disney’s buyout and the current LFL regime deserve credit for the Disney+ shows, Rebels, Rogue One, and whatever goodwill the ST retains… while also bearing responsibility to the BTS issues that plagued and doomed Solo, and for managing time screw up the ST with about half its audience after a monstrously successful launch.

Ideally, Licas should have been kept in an advisory role to at least provide a rough set of “strategic goals” for the ST regarding the family story, the Jedi, and what the OT heroes were supposed to be up to, then he could have been weaned away from the franchise afterwards. You wouldn’t really want him possibly cutting off Favreau and Filoni at the legs regarding the Mandalorians, for instance.

At the same time, however, I think that if LFL only had a more intelligent approach to the ST, we’d likely be in a much better place and possibly have made the “better than the Lucas Era” ST that people dreamed about. If they’d either had a general set of agreed upon objectives for the ST, or even just hired a more simpatico set of directors, than giving the ST a good enough story that they could execute better than the Pt would have been quite likely.

Instead, the single, same regime made the mistake of following up JJ Abrams with Rian Johnson, two diametrically opposing creators undermining each others’s work, also managed the genius move of allowing Favreau to do what he wanted and eventually raised Filoni to an overseer of the story.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Niffleheim

In regards to the movies I'd agree I don't see myself revisiting the ST but the tv live & animation and the comics have ranged from excellent to just okay.
    Last edited by Tofali; 02-13-2022 at 02:27 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The problem when Lucas was still in control is he answered to no one and surrounded himself with yes men who were just there to say "good job George that perfect". There were so many points in the prequels where if George would have run some of his script points by someone or even let someone else direct the movies the movies would have been so much better. George is an amazing idea man but is not always that good at the execution of those ideas.

If he would have kept the property I don't doubt he would have handled any sequels like he did the prequels in he would not listen to anyone, and they would have felt as clunky. They might have been better than the sequels sure because the sequels were a trainwreck. Disney screwed up from day one by not having a over arching plan in place from the start and just letting the directors do what they wanted. That is not the way you handle a 3 movie planned property. It was doomed to fail and it got worse every movie because there was no real plan.

^Lucas did have a co-writer on AOTC and Tom Stoppard did some script-doctoring on ROTS.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, while there were numerous examples of Lucas micromanaging a bit too much, or being a bit stubborn with arguably weird things (Moraband instead of Korriban, Jango not being a Mandalorian, etc.) I often get the impression that the yes-men he was surrounded by weren’t cultivated by him, or that his ego couldn’t handle criticism and feedback. He reportedly showed a very early cut of ROTS to Spielberg fro advise on what to use reshoots for, knowing he’d get a quality opinion, and Spielberg’s criticisms resulted in the focusing on Anakin wanting to save Padme and apparently a bit more comradely between Anakin and Obi early on.

Then if course you’ve got his time with TCW, where he clearly started to grow more and more comfortable with letting Dave Filoni work as the main show runner without any interference but still receiving input, leading to that show’s increase in quality from both guys’ decisions.

The “Disney-owned, Lucas-advised” LFL that Lucas tried to engineer likely would have been a success if he’d grown comfortable with a relationship like the one he had to TCW.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

My one year old daughter will never know of this heartless, bastardized, and visionless trilogy. The sequel to ROTJ will be The Mandalorian , this is the way
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!