Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I saw Willow in the Theaters.

As far as I can tell, Lucas lost whatever skill he had with dialogue long before the prequels ever happened.

He might have lost that right after American Graffiti and nobody noticed because unlike Spielberg, he never produced anything set on present day Earth.

Given that Lucas' alleged post sequel plans for Star Wars involved microbe life forms, I can't say I am sorry that the franchise got yanked out of his hands.

A lot of the original Star Wars film's dialogue was re-written by Huyck and Katz, who wrote GRAFITTI along with Brian De Palma who re-worked the title scroll which was originally going to have more details about the Republic and the Jedi. Probably a lot of the Han/Leia banter in particular, judging by some of their other work like Temple of Doom which seemed to feature similar light-hearted dialogue. Indy in that film also comes across a lot more like original Han than in the other three films.

Of course they also wrote "Howard the Duck" as well...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Heck no was it a mistake. We got some really good movies, some really good TV shows (animation and live action), and the tie-ins (novels, comics, etc.) have stepped up to a level of consistent quality we never had before. (I like Legends as much as the next person, but, let's be honest; it was a first draft at the concept and make the mistakes to be learned from.)

A couple of the movies weren't the greatest (Solo was by the numbers and Rise of Skywalker suffered from janky writing and a few poor creative decisions despite nailing it in other categories), but that's always been the nature of things and 3 out of 5 is an incredibly good record, esp. considering this fanbase.

Long story short, nothing is perfect all the time and, taking the franchise as a whole, this's the golden age for Star Wars.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

While I think Disney hasn't done the best job they could, I also don't think Lucas could have done a good job either.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Disney got what Disney wanted out of it, money.

What it didn't get a lot of is respect.

Poor writing, awkward choice of directors (abrams, who just tried to kill Star Trek, and johnson being of course the genius we all know and love) and terrible, terrible planification. Why for example the whole sequel trilogy hasn't been written before shooting the first movie is still to this day one of the most amazing act of stupidity i have ever heard about.

And that level of communication man, going as far as calling people who dared to dislike the last jedi racists and women haters lol.

Sure, there are a couple of decent things somewhere in that pile of crap (looking at you Rogue One) but damn, thanks poseidon it's star wars and it can survive a lot. Cause with that level of plain incompetence any other franchise would have crumbled.

Say what you want about the prequels, but at least it was quite loved by the kids back then who watched those movies and it did bring a whole new generation of fans to Star Wars. Fans who are now 30 something and quite happy i'm sure that their beloved movies aren't the worst of star wars anymore.

Have the sequels helped Star Wars gaining new fans? I'm not sure.

Of the 3 movies I've seen, I like one, I find the other acceptable and I hate the other.
    I love Marvel comics and TV shows.
    It's been positive for me so far.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't think there are any good options here. Lucas clearly lost his mind years ago so any sequels we would have gotten under him would be just as bad as what we ended up getting. I think people expected Disney to handle it better than they did. I don't pretend to know what's going on over there. I don't think there is any one explanation for what went wrong. JJ Abrams is a no talent hack who only gets work because he's a member of a space cult that holds Hollywood hostage. There was clearly a desire to do a female lead. I won't go into the politics of what I think happened but let's just say that I think the sense of entitlement that a lot of fans had may have convinced Disney to go looking for a new fanbase. I don't know how to salvage the original movies other than to say that the sequels were just one of many potential futures for the characters. I think the future of SW should look more like Rogue One. Serious hard sci-fi adventure. Not goofy characters.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    To this day, I feel that George Lucas make a grave error in judgement by selling Star Wars to Disney. When the announcement was made that Disney would acquire Lucas Studios, I lost interest in anything Stars Wars related. Anything Disney puts its hands on an independent brand they ruin it. Just look at what was done to Capital Cities/ABC when they took over. Boring.
    George Lucas was going to sell Lucasfilm regardless. I will go on record stating that I loathed the J. J. Abrams (and 2nd film trilogy), but....

I absolutely adore the Mandelorian, and (while not the biggest fan of turning Bobba Fett into a nice guy) the Book of Bobba Fett has been great to.

When I compare Disney Marvel movies to DC Warner Brothers movies, I feel comfortable with Star Wars being with Disney as opposed to one of their top competitors.

Of the Disney created properties, The Mandalorian has been fantastic! As I said this will be the sequel to ROTJ that I show my one year old when she's old enough. Mando has even challenged Obi-Wan as my favorite Star Wars character. I hope that Obi-Wan's series is just as good.

When it comes to the films, I agree with most of the above. The PT has many flaws but at least there was a vision and a story they wanted to tell. The Force Awakens had promise, but after that I can't say that I will ever rewatch any of the ST. It is an absolute mess and much like what was said before it's unbelievable they had zero plans for it.

Rogue One- I hated every single character. I found them all to be extremely irritating and was actively cheering when they all died. I liked two things about Rogue One: The score and Darth Vader going nuts. That's about it.

Solo, I really enjoyed. Admittedly I had low expectations but I thought it was a good and fun film. I think because of it's timing of release it got a lot of unwarranted hate from TLJ.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member

If there was any *one* thing that I think Disney definitely deserves all the crap for, it would be insisting and enforcing an insane release schedule for a studio that wasn’t ready for that yet - especially for the ST.

TFA had an abbreviated production cycle to get out on time, TLJ had wrapped up most of it’s pretty-production before TFA was released (thus explaining why it comes off as a film expecting the audience to not like Rey or Finn as much as Kylo/Ben), and TROS had an insanely abbreviated schedule because LFL dumped most of its pre-production out of horror at what making a sequel to TLJ required regarding Kylo/Ben. And all this for a Sequel Trilogy that wound up twice having to call in Bad Robot to help get the films done on time.

Meanwhile, Rogue One and Solo both show signs of an overtaxed production company, with numerous reshoots and BTS drama.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    George Lucas was going to sell Lucasfilm regardless. I will go on record stating that I loathed the J. J. Abrams (and 2nd film trilogy), but....

I absolutely adore the Mandelorian, and (while not the biggest fan of turning Bobba Fett into a nice guy) the Book of Bobba Fett has been great to.

When I compare Disney Marvel movies to DC Warner Brothers movies, I feel comfortable with Star Wars being with Disney as opposed to one of their top competitors.
    There definitely seemed to be signs that Lucas was kind of burned out of stuff around 2012. He was still receiving a lot of hate for the prequels, TPM 3D and Red Tails flopped, the TV series was taking forever....Clone Wars seemed to be the main bright spot, and maybe some of the EU stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There definitely seemed to be signs that Lucas was kind of burned out of stuff around 2012. He was still receiving a lot of hate for the prequels, TPM 3D and Red Tails flopped, the TV series was taking forever....Clone Wars seemed to be the main bright spot, and maybe some of the EU stuff.
    I agree, but I also think that it was near impossible for him to top his original three films (Which I personally regard as one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time)

Although none of the prequels live up to the originals, (Phantom Menace being to kid orientated) I would go so far to say that the Revenge of the Sith actually comes pretty close, and it is the prequels that introduced me to my favourite siths (Dooku & Maul), so I hold those films in my heart affectionately.

The only think that Lucas did that I didn't agree with was Greedo shooting first.

As for Disney, if I had one major complaint, it wouldn't have anything to do with the JJ Abrams films, but rather with the fact that Lucasfilm was a pioneer of ground breaking special effects. That's what made Star Wars so amazing, and I'm just not seeing that coming out of Disney.

Disney seems mainly to be using practical effects for a lot of the films and TV series, probably in part because of the prequel backlash. Funny thing about Maz, she's CG in TFA and TLJ, but a puppet in Rise.

TLJ Yoda, Grogu, BB8 and even some of the monsters are practical as well.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I agree, but I also think that it was near impossible for him to top his original three films (Which I personally regard as one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time)

Although none of the prequels live up to the originals, (Phantom Menace being to kid orientated) I would go so far to say that the Revenge of the Sith actually comes pretty close, and it is the prequels that introduced me to my favourite siths (Dooku & Maul), so I hold those films in my heart affectionately.

The only think that Lucas did that I didn't agree with was Greedo shooting first.

As for Disney, if I had one major complaint, it wouldn't have anything to do with the JJ Abrams films, but rather with the fact that Lucasfilm was a pioneer of ground breaking special effects. That's what made Star Wars so amazing, and I'm just not seeing that coming out of Disney.
    The "volume" where the film the Mandalorian is a huge innovation in special effects.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Oh yeah, I forgot that a lot of Mandalorians sets/locations are actually virtual. Probably helped a bit with the pandemic.