Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    I can't believe Marvel actually created a new character just to be Karma's new lover when there are so many existing characters around.

Why must the new lover be someone from Southeast Asia and not America or Europe? It speaks of stereotyping.
    Its weird how people get so twisted into knots with conflicting assumptions and perceptions of alleged stereotyping. On the one hand I see people who get upset when two characters of the same racial/ethnic background get together as a couple -- "how come the two black people have to be a couple just because they're both black? That's racist", and then you turn around and see people complaining about POC characters dating white characters "all the time". No matter what way they do it, someone gets pissed off because allegedly both options are racist and stereotypical. Seems to undermine the premise that either option is a stereotype, imo.

As for introducing a new character to be Karma's love interest--why not? Are there really that many lesbian or bisexual female characters around that are not already involved with someone else, not currently tied up in another title, and are realistically compatible to be a love interest for Karma? You KNOW if they put Karma together with an existing character who hadn't already been established as queer there would immediately be the complaints of "if you want a gay character make a NEW gay character; stop turning established characters gay".

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Its weird how people get so twisted into knots with conflicting assumptions and perceptions of alleged stereotyping. On the one hand I see people who get upset when two characters of the same racial/ethnic background get together as a couple -- "how come the two black people have to be a couple just because they're both black? That's racist", and then you turn around and see people complaining about POC characters dating white characters "all the time".
    It speaks of ignorance of the writer that all Southeast Asian people are the same race and culturally the same which is far from the truth.

Ayatal obviously was trying to match someone of her 'own race' and yet didn't has no idea about the diversity of Southeast Asians.

Unlike Europe where everybody is of the same European race (excluding recent immigrants), Southeast Asians can be quite different.

Filipinos are Austronesian people with a different culture from the Vietnamese Kinh. Vietnamese Kinh practice Chinese culture due to Vietnam being part of China for more than 1000 years and many Chinese immigrants there during the colonization by China.
    Last edited by ericng; 02-09-2022 at 04:29 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Who would you have preferred?
    I would prefer someone like Kitty which was her first crush back in Mekanix written by Chris Claremont

Last edited by ericng; 02-09-2022 at 04:40 PM.

While I'm glad Karma finally had a love life, it would have been nice if the LI was better developed and the relationship wasn't just a background note. That's a problem with team books a lot of the time, though.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Both the name and her design give that explicit impression that's the case
    I want to be polite but I really wish someone would post this I'm still working lol!

Mighty Member

How did we get to the character was created to be Karma's love interest?

It was explicitly stated that the character was made before Krakoa and well before there would even be an idea that Ayala would be working on New Mutants.

Astonishing Member

It speaks of ignorance of the writer that all Southeast Asian people are the same race and culturally the same which is far from the truth.

Ayatal obviously was trying to match someone of her 'own race' and yet didn't has no idea about the diversity of Southeast Asians.

Unlike Europe where everybody is of the same European race (excluding recent immigrants), Southeast Asians can be quite different.

Filipinos are Austronesian people with a different culture from the Vietnamese Kinh. Vietnamese Kinh practice Chinese culture due to Vietnam being part of China for more than 1000 years and many Chinese immigrants there during the colonization by China.
    How is Ayala acting like all Southeast Asian people are the same? Galura literally used a Filipino phrase to ask how Karma was feeling, and past issues have more than proven that Ayala has a firm grasp on Karma's family and background. Putting two different Southeast Asian women in a relationship isn't saying these two women have the same background/identity unless they actually TREAT the two characters' ethnicities as interchangeable, and yet Ayala has very explicitly made acknowledgments of both characters' different ethnic background even through their dialogue.

Soooo my bad buuut why is Karma keeping (or not keeping) her leg?

Also is Magik tryna see if Rictor can make her bed rock?
    GrindrStone(D)

Spectacular Member

Who was the girl with the black wings?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    Who was the girl with the black wings?
    Karma's latest dirty Angel
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    While I'm glad Karma finally had a love life, it would have been nice if the LI was better developed and the relationship wasn't just a background note. That's a problem with team books a lot of the time, though.
    And with which characters Marvel will actually sign off on being queer.

Everytime one topic leads on "etnical" issue a fairy died...
    It s so boring read speculation on racism In a comics like x men... Meh...

By the way, great issue, I love every panel. Can't wait to see Magik and madelyne. Maybe I'll tana help her to conquer the new hell quoted in cable?

Not all Europeans have been historically considered of the same “race”, despite being classified as “white” by some groups. Most people consider Anglo Saxon “white”, but not everyone falls into that category or ethnic group. The idea of a unified European “white” race wasn’t commonly accepted prior to the 17th century. There is a lot of diversity in Europe despite being a small continent, once you get pass skin color.

I don’t think Ayala is a writer that treats all Asians as the same “race”. But I do wonder why they chose this character vs the Shi’ar Warbird from Majorie’s Astonishing X-Men run.
    Last edited by otipep_90; 02-09-2022 at 07:28 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    How did we get to the character was created to be Karma's love interest?

It was explicitly stated that the character was made before Krakoa and well before there would even be an idea that Ayala would be working on New Mutants.
    So Ayala and the rest involved changed their minds. Big Fucking Deal.

All Europeans are of the same "European race?" Are you gonna tell me that Ucranians, Fins, and Italians share the same ethnic background just to give an example? There are Europeans within the same countries that do not share the same ethnic background for chrissakes.
    Speaking of the issue, I actually liked the Proudstar brothers' reunion. James has always been depicted as the more reserved but also emotional brother, and while John hasn't had a lot of development, the little that we have seen has shown him as the more gruff and rough around the edges brother, and I think that came across nicely. I feel Ayala was able to get an emotional scene with them without getting sappy. I wouldn't mind seeing more of John in the title if Ayala writes the brothers this way.