Page 16 of 230 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I'm interested in how Jay Garrick fans reacted to Barry Allen. People nowadays hate Barry, though, haha!
    I doubt any JSA fan had too much reaction to any Silver Age counterpart then. At the time, comics were pretty strictly consumed by children and by the time Barry showed up Jay had been gone long enough for the kids that read him to have grown up.

Mixed bag of reactions.

I'll definently be collecting at least some of this series monthly and definently everything once it hits trades if I ends up as good as I think it looks!

Clever concept. Major crisis from new and secondary heroes and no focus on retcons is a great idea!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Jason wasn't hated because he was the replacement. He was a Dick Grayson clone initially then after the Crisis they turned him into street urchin to differentiate him from Dick. Then Jim Starlin, who famously hated side kicks, kept making him more and more unlikeable to the point where fans voted to kill him off. It's a vastly different cast than the hate FalCap got.
    Thank You, John Venus!

I also heard someone used a roto-caller to cast 500 votes for Jason to die...that cancelled out 500 votes for him to live. It wasn't a landside against Jason.

LOL has there ever been a "Bright Crisis?" I sense a certain speedster as the cause of this fumfoolery.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Honestly this crossover sounds like a breath of fresh air. An actual celebration of legacy, one of the DC`s best and most unique qualities. Since Diddio left it does not feel like DC has used lesser popular characters have been used as props for the main league. The OG 7 will always be there, nice to actually celebrate the entire DCU.

If Williamson delivers that it is. So far I have not read any of his DC work I would consider bad.
    Yah a lot of crabbing here based on an image.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My personal hope is that all those past lives memories nonsense will be discarded and they'll all be reverted back to being separate lives in different multiverses.
    My theory is that their notion is meant to establish that if a writer wants to reference or use anything that's ever seen print in a comic book, they can use that in their story as something that's happened without having to bend over backwards explaining continuity.("it all matters") As opposed to any character ever explicitly stating "I have 80 years of completely contradictory memories."

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I have nothing against it. The idea was about treating Kara as if she's apart of the "generation 3" that needs to replace their mentors. It was a jab at Donna being looked at as the next Wonder Woman. As, she doesn't have the history like Roy, Garth, Dick, and Wally to replace Diana.

Yeah, Kara is treated as the outsider these days. She's too alien to fit in like Clark does. Losing the Legion hurt her bad.

Reading my comments, I need to stop getting so riled up over a discussion.
    Donna's got more history with Diana than many characters that replaced previous heroes. She may not have as much as Dick, Wally, Roy or Garth but it isn't that little.

As someone who hasn’t read tons and of DC, having replacements for the established “legends” is pretty cool. I mean it’s a reboot without a reboot & I think it’s all exciting. More modern & diverse characters is a good thing. Hopefully they can do something with the classic characters so those fans have something also.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It's about getting them into places that are more accessible. Trades into bookstores helped. Not everyone has a local comic store. That's why they need them in more places.
    But again, do non-comic book stores want to deal with individual issues of comic books?

However, these days there's the internet and sites like comixology, so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    As someone who hasn’t read tons and of DC, having replacements for the established “legends” is pretty cool. I mean it’s a reboot without a reboot & I think it’s all exciting. More modern & diverse characters is a good thing. Hopefully they can do something with the classic characters so those fans have something also.

The word is "invested". You get invested in a character thst you have read about for a long time, maybe decades and that will change your mind about just sweeping them out the door for new shiny toys in their places.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    LOL has there ever been a "Bright Crisis?" I sense a certain speedster as the cause of this fumfoolery.
    Brightest Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    It's the All New All Different DC Universe .

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    The word is "invested". You get invested in a character thst you have read about for a long time, maybe decades and that will change your mind about just sweeping them out the door for new shiny toys in their places.
    Conner is on the cover, what do you mean? Superboy-Prime fans are the ones who should be angry at him taking up OUR spot!

Astonishing Member

Anyone else get the feeling that this is basically a remake of Infinite Crisis?

One of the ''survivors'' of COIE, who used to be a hero, is now the villain and wants to resurrect his original reality by destroying the current one. I mean, you pretty much just need to swap Alexander Luthor (and Kal-L) for Pariah and Earth 2/Earth 3 for the original Multiverse.

That said, this all does feel like yet another stage in the 15 year (or 20 year) project to somehow undo COIE and restore the DC to its 'classic' state. Or at least, to tease that restoration, or restore it in part. It's an effort which began with Hal Jordan's resurrection. Then you had Kara Zor-El being rebooted and brought back. IC was supposed to be a big part of the plan, though it ended up just restoring some parts of pre-Crisis continuity and nudging Superman closer to his Silver Age (and Donner inspired) days. Barry coming back was another big milestone. The New 52 was an interesting abberation to this effort in that it shattered the Post-COIE DCU but didn't exactly restore things to a 'classic' status quo. And then Rebirth was about re-affirming the Post-COIE DCU. It's been a few years now though so I feel they're maybe back to teasing the return of the Pre-COIE DCU, after hinting at it with Earth 1985 in Doomsday Clock.

Now while I have great respect for the Pre-COIE era(s) and would love to see those characters and settings back, I have to wonder if there really is an appetite for a wholesale undoing of COIE at this point, 36 years down the line, among the majority of the fanbase? Especially at a time when most casual DC fans are more fans of other adaptations than the mainline comic-books and probably don't really care much about how things were in 1961 or 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    My theory is that their notion is meant to establish that if a writer wants to reference or use anything that's ever seen print in a comic book, they can use that in their story as something that's happened without having to bend over backwards explaining continuity.("it all matters") As opposed to any character ever explicitly stating "I have 80 years of completely contradictory memories."
    That’s explicitly what it means per Tynion. Writers can reference old continuity as they wish without having to explain how it all fits.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/