Page 71 of 230 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 3441

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jesse! Yay .

This look isn't even half-bad as far as "Jesse wearing pants" goes.
    The look of Jess reminds me to the one for the Round Robin last year.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/a/upl...7759-jesse.jpg

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Who is this Robin? Tim's cape, Dick's costume and a Superman S on the chest?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    He's from Superman "perfect" world, so maybe Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Yes, I've seen the image from an article about an upcoming Superman story, it's Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post

see: https://www.supermanhomepage.com/dc-...ue-superman-1/

Y'know, I wasn't super thrilled about the Robin-esque costume for Jon. It's Clark's imaginary perfect world right? Seems like a very DC thing, making Clark wish he were more like Batman.

But it just dawned on me that perhaps this is less about Clark wanting what Bruce has, and more Clark hoping his son turns out as well as Dick Grayson. If that's the idea then I support it whole heartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Do the characters in American comics have actual character arcs?
    Short answer is yes.

Long answer is more complicated.

You'll see development most often with supporting cast members or heroes who're part of a team ensemble but don't have a solo title. And to a small degree, solo characters do have arcs....they just don't usually amount to a whole lot, or their development gets pushed back when a new direction/arc/writer comes in. It's all about the illusion of change. Serialized fiction like this isn't supposed to reach an endpoint so you mess around with the corners and edges of a mythos, hoping that's enough to make readers feel like the world is growing and changing and evolving, while your main character remains (mostly) a unchanging archetype (or returns to the status quo after the arc wraps).

But just for an example, we saw Kyle Rayner go from a freelance artist living gig to gig, to a successful one with his own art gallery showings. It took years to get there but there *was* an arc, development, and growth. Of course, none of that mattered once Kyle went to space so it might as well have not happened. Alternatively, we've seen John Stewart get over the destruction of Xanshi half a dozen times, only for another writer to have him start brooding about it again.

I think with comics, true, lasting development usually comes not from the stories themselves, but from the gradual, slow evolution of cultural norms and the hero's history. How people view a character like Superman or Batman....that's influenced by more than just the stories in the comics. There's a kind of general awareness and idea of who/what the character is that's influenced not by canon, but by everything we consume that's connected to the character. To see that evolution you have to step back and look at the big picture and whole history. We've seen Superman go from a young, single guy to a married man, and now he's a father. And it's not the "Superman Wedding Album 1996" issue that made this stick; it's the nebulous, vague idea in the public perception that says Superman loves Lois, always has, and they should be married.

Jesse! Yay .

This look isn't even half-bad as far as "Jesse wearing pants" goes.
    Super thrilled to see Jesse show up. I was wondering if DC would use her again, or just quietly push her deeper into the corner in favor of Kid Quick.

And I like the pants. Always hated the idea that someone who's superpower is "running fast" would leave her legs bare and vulnerable.

Man, I've been trade waiting Flash but maybe I need to start grabbing floppies to catch up.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Do the characters in American comics have actual character arcs?
    When they are more attached to a particular creator, I would say.

I can think of Jack Knight (Starman) and Tommy Monaghan (Hitman) as characters who had character arc and endings. That is, until some other writer bought them back. Which I wish don't to happen.
    As you can see, both characters were very tied to the work of their writers and with clear endings of successful runs. Curiously, it seems like failed runs are doomed to perpetuate the life of certain characters.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 05-13-2022 at 11:43 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Spectacular Member

I was kind of excited when Pariah appeared and said to Barry "There is another way" and sent him to Earth-Flash. I figured we'd be getting a fun exploration of shared vs. independent universes. Now that it's just Infinite Crisis all over again, I imagine we'll get a 'perfect world wouldn't need a Flash' moment and Pariah will be defeated. And what does putting heroes in imaginary universes have to do with ending all existence? Is that not what 'the great darkness' is about?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
    I was kind of excited when Pariah appeared and said to Barry "There is another way" and sent him to Earth-Flash. I figured we'd be getting a fun exploration of shared vs. independent universes. Now that it's just Infinite Crisis all over again, I imagine we'll get a 'perfect world wouldn't need a Flash' moment and Pariah will be defeated. And what does putting heroes in imaginary universes have to do with ending all existence? Is that not what 'the great darkness' is about?
    Great Darkness realized that the true enemy is superheroes since they're always stopping its efforts. Pariah is getting rid of superheroes by giving them happy ending world.

Thanks for the responses on character development. They have helped me to understand the differences I have seen. The works I examined were indeed by one auteur. Also you answered for me the question I had about whether the superheroes are supposed to be or desired to be more or less frozen in amber.

Thanks so much for the insight

Mighty Member

Dear Marvel fans, when were the last time Marvel has killed various of legacy heroes? Can you think about that.

For DC, many times since non-stop for the Titans and get ready more deaths in the upcoming Dark Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Dear Marvel fans, when were the last time Marvel has killed various of legacy heroes? Can you think about that.

For DC, many times since non-stop for the Titans and get ready more deaths in the upcoming Dark Crisis.
    Well, they killed Ben Reilly without physically killing him. But they've done that too.

Well, they killed Ben Reilly without physically killing him. But they've done that too.
    Oh snap.

Yeah, and they even gave interviews saying that they were trying to do right by him, that a lot of people in the offices were his fans.
    And then proceed to murder his characters because they thought the Spider Universe didn't have any place for him.

But hey, Marvel can do no wrong, It's all sunshine and roses around there.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    . . . But hey, Marvel can do no wrong, It's all sunshine and roses around there.
    But you do sometimes have to pile on a lot of manure to make those roses grow . . .