Page 123 of 230 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 3441

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Barry dies. To undo more Didio.
    They will "undo" Didio by doing the same thing to characters he pushed that he did to characters these current people push? Quite the lesson to learn.

Yeah; I don't see them doing that too Barry. Or to Hal, for that matter.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Thorne has advertised this new direction for John as being different from a GL, so I guess the question is if DC is willing to invest in it independent of a GL book or just still call it GL at the end of the day.
    At the end of the day, it probably just depends on how much this one shot sells. Like I'm sure DC would give a character like Nubia they have been pushing a ongoing, but I imagine these miniseries and one shots they keep doing aren't selling well enough to justify it.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Barry dies. To undo more Didio.
    ...which would mean nothing was learned and we're back to Square One. Anyone who supports such an idea should turn in his/her DC fan badge and just walk out the door.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The only way I could see them killing off Hal or having him go away for a while to a pocket universe (like Earth 1 Superman, Lois, Superboy Prime, and Alex Luthor at the end of CoIE) is if the order came down from WBD that going forward John Stewart will be Green Lantern in all other media and they want some cohesion.

The DC animated movies are usually a preview to what IPs the company is going to push and the John Stewart animated flick just came out.

Astonishing Member

I find it almost funny that literally every possible outcome of Dark Crisis (eh.... It has DC in the title, I have just realized it. Dark Crisis. Got it? Another gimmick stolen from Johns) sounds incredibly trite and boring. ALL of the major characters involved have died at least once, and in generally better storylines.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The only way I could see them killing off Hal or having him go away for a while to a pocket universe (like Earth 1 Superman, Lois, Superboy Prime, and Alex Luthor at the end of CoIE) is if the order came down from WBD that going forward John Stewart will be Green Lantern in all other media and they want some cohesion.

The DC animated movies are usually a preview to what IPs the company is going to push and the John Stewart animated flick just came out.
    I mean they did not do this to John when WB was going forward with Hal in all other media. Ask yourself why would they feel the need to do this to Hal now. One of the SDCC interviews about that animated flick had the movie's director mention what they did to Hal in that movie and he said it was because "This is John Stewart's world". Has any DC creator, writer or producer ever said "You can't have other GLs here because this is Hal Jordan's world". This is the kind of thing you do not need in a franchise whose fanbase is already fractured enough as it is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I mean they did not do this to John when WB was going forward with Hal in all other media. Ask yourself why would they feel the need to do this to Hal now. One of the SDCC interviews about that animated flick had the movie's director mention what they did to Hal in that movie and he said it was because "This is John Stewart's world". Has any DC creator, writer or producer ever said "You can't have other GLs here because this is Hal Jordan's world". This is the kind of thing you do not need in a franchise whose fanbase is already fractured enough as it is.
    Eh. Bizarre (and careless) statements aside, the main problem is that in terms of power and main features Hal and John are more or less the same character. Of course the background is different, the adventures too, etc.. But they are basically two Green Lanterns operating at the same time, without the benefit of a time displacement which allows Alan Scott to exist in the same universe as Hal and John more or less at the same time (Rayner, Cruz, Baz are all even more derivative characters). And this may be a problem for the adaptations, which are probably WBD's main interest now. So you can have a buddy cop movie with Hal and John at the same time (even if I think that it would be quite difficult to craft) but it would be quite difficult to manage in a shared universe (there's place for only one GL in the JL). As an alternative, they can ignore that John exists (and let's face it, between John and Hal the spinoff character is John) or - for diversity's sake - you can keep John - who has an interesting background which could be worth exploring more - but you basically change him into a merged character with features of both John and Hal (Sinestro and Abin Sur in particular for the latter). So even if I don't think that they are going to fridge Hal or John in the forthcoming issues, it's not that they have many alternatives when adaptations are involved.
    Last edited by Myskin; 08-21-2022 at 04:19 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Interesting how those careless comments are only made when Hal Jordan is on the receiving end. They seem far more careful while addressing any other Lantern, but when it's Hal they don't seem to use a lot of consideration to say the least.

Indeed. While I'm concerned about the proliferation of human Green Lanterns (which is even worse than the proliferation of Robins), to say that they're all derivative does each of them a disservice.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member

I’ve always felt DC was somewhat mortified that the Arrowverse, while… inconsistent in quality, still managed to be more stable than the movies, so I could see Ollie dying

Considering his show is ending, his movie is more or less already going to flip and most of the writers are of the age that they come up with Wally as Flash, killing Barry off is sensible

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Eh. Bizarre (and careless) statements aside, the main problem is that in terms of power and main features Hal and John are more or less the same character.
    In the broad aspects of marketing and branding, you're right. Green Lantern is Green Lantern is Green Lantern. WB doesn't care who is on a GL t-shirt as long as that t-shirt sells.

Within the narrative itself, I think Hal and John are pretty distinct individuals, and both offer unique traits and elements that can service and enrich a story. I find Hal to be better able to carry a solo adventure due to his louder personality, wider (solo) mythos and Maverick character archetype (even though I dislike Hal), while John's better suited for team titles and ensembles, being the more quiet, stoic Man of Duty type of character. John not having much of a mythos or setting of his own certainly doesn't help either; as a solo character he's either stealing from the wider GLC mythos (which is mostly all Hal's) or creating new stuff, which fans tend to resist on principal.

I doubt very much that DC is going to get rid of Hal. He's too popular within comics and too well known. But in larger media I won't be surprised at all if John is the one who gets the majority of focus and effort. He's a man of color attached to a major IP which gives him a lot of appeal to the corporate suits trying to score diversity points, and those suits aren't going to care if a John Stewart project, like a show or cartoon or whatever, steals most of its setting and mythos from Hal. The casual viewer won't know the difference.

Personally I think DC should approach the GL franchise as a buddy cop/partner concept. No reason why any one particular GL should get the spotlight when you can feature several of them at once; that makes the franchise feel different from other heroes, showcases characters who (generally) compliment each other really well, each Lantern tends to open up certain narrative points the others aren't able to (Jessica's phobias makes psychological/mindtrip stories easier, for example) and anything that helps move us away from the "there's only one *real* Green Lantern!" mindset is a good thing.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-21-2022 at 09:46 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I’ve always felt DC was somewhat mortified that the Arrowverse, while… inconsistent in quality, still managed to be more stable than the movies, so I could see Ollie dying

Considering his show is ending, his movie is more or less already going to flip and most of the writers are of the age that they come up with Wally as Flash, killing Barry off is sensible
    Doesn't matter if most writer are at the age where they grew up on Wally. Barry is still the most prominent Flash. Killing Barry is short-term.

The only personal digs I've seen them take to the Arrowverse was in the Rebirth special where they took a shot at how badly Arrow screwed up the Green Arrow/Black Canary relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Personally I think DC should approach the GL franchise as a buddy cop/partner concept. No reason why any one particular GL should get the spotlight when you can feature several of them at once; that makes the franchise feel different from other heroes, showcases characters who (generally) compliment each other really well, each Lantern tends to open up certain narrative points the others aren't able to (Jessica's phobias makes psychological/mindtrip stories easier, for example) and anything that helps move us away from the "there's only one *real* Green Lantern!" mindset is a good thing.
    They did do something to this effect in the Rebirth era where Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz were partners in their own GL book and the Core Four Earth Lanterns were in Hal N' Pals (that people dismissed because it was Hal N' Pals).

BANNED

I would hope that they wouldn't be so petty and realize that killing him AGAIN wouldn't have the same impact or meaning. It would just come off as forced to me. So then I'm ten or twenty years, will we have a younger generation erase Wally from time again because they prefer Barry? And back and forth forever?

I understand that some people preferred it when Barry was gone and there's an argument to be made for not bringing him back, but they did and I think everybody needs to move on. I wish they would just find a way to give Wally and Barry a place in the DCU instead of just trying to retread old ground.

For the same reason, I doubt Hal will be killed off or turned into Parallax again like some people have been fearing. If they were going to write these guys out, I don't think they would just rehash these old stories.