Page 38 of 230 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    All the regular series can just go on as normal during "DC" but take place right before it, then months later when Dark Crisis is over, have those titles jump past the event the following issue. That seems the easiest way to go to me. (didn't Marvel do that during the original Secret War? Although I think they jumped ahead a little too soon, but that was a 12-issue maxi. DC can do it without overlapping I think)
    They did jump to the end Spiderman 251 he was swept away, Spiderman 252 he was back with a black suit. SPOILERS!

So uh I just remembered something from reading the recent preview of Deathstroke inc., Williamson gave Deathstroke bat-tech.

I don’t mean that Deathstroke has like a single car, I mean Slade went to the foreclosure sale on the property and made a killing on getting Bat-mobiles, flying vehicles, and Batmechs including what looks like the freaking Scott Snyder Justice Buster. All of this being kept up to date with weaponry by Hiro aka Toyman.

So Deathstroke and his army of the Secret society of supervillains are going to roll in while the Justice League are dead with the best stuff they could get their hands on.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    . . . We also know that the JSA book died only because Hitch left the project. DC didn't pull the plug on that. Maybe their plans chased Hitch off, I dunno, but DC was game to bring the JSA back . . .
    I think you're being a bit generous in claiming "DC was game to bring the JSA back". If that was truly the case, wouldn't we have a new JSA series (limited or on-going) announced by now with a different artist? Was Hitch being the artist that big a deal to DC?

I look at it more like DC was willing to give it a shot, but aren't really doing much to try to get a new JSA series out beyond that at the moment. I don't know if DC really cares one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think you're being a bit generous in claiming "DC was game to bring the JSA back". If that was truly the case, wouldn't we have a new JSA series (limited or on-going) announced by now with a different artist? Was Hitch being the artist that big a deal to DC?

I look at it more like DC was willing to give it a shot, but aren't really doing much to try to get a new JSA series out beyond that at the moment. I don't know if DC really cares one way or another.
    I think the real question MajoyHoy might be whether the JSA is supposed to be an operating body from antiquity or if it is to operate concurrently. What with all the everything happened and Multiverse is now stuff. People like to shade legacies and replacements lately but it seems to me that this was literally built into the dna of the dcu looking at the earths.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Feel like I heard Hitch was a driving creative voice behind the whole series, not just the artist. Could be wrong on that. But even if he was just pushing the pencil on someone else's script, finding a replacement takes time. Hitch only officially announced he was done with the project what, a month or two ago? Too soon for replacements to be announced even if DC is continuing on the gig without Hitch.

And we're just now getting announcements on the first wave of Crisis tie-in stuff. Too early to assume the JSA won't be showing up at all. For all we know right now, they'll get their own mini in the next batch of solicits for month two of the Crisis. Or not. DC has slowly been pushing the League generation into "elder statesmen" status, and maybe they figure they don't need the JSA now because of that.

I dunno if DC cares about the JSA or not, or if they're still pursuing a book. All I'm pointing out is that our old assumptions about their priorities don't necessarily hold water anymore, with the new folks in charge. Everything else I posted points to the new DC seeing a lot more potential in the secondary guys. Maybe, like Nightwing, the JSA will end up benefiting from this new perspective. Or maybe, like Cyborg, it won't help at all. But we can no longer assume that what DC did during the Didio era will be what they do now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Feel like I heard Hitch was a driving creative voice behind the whole series, not just the artist. Could be wrong on that. But even if he was just pushing the pencil on someone else's script, finding a replacement takes time. Hitch only officially announced he was done with the project what, a month or two ago?
    Try back in August (2021).

From another thread, . . .
    This from another thread . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    JSA Series not happening according to Bryan Hitch

https://mobile.twitter.com/THEBRYANH...97607155290115
    However, that comment by the poster doesn't tell the whole story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    The JSA series is not being drawn by Brian Hitch according to Brian Hitch.
    And the actual reply by Hitch on Twitter was:
    Not with me, I’m afraid. Tried but it didn’t come together.
    6:51 AM · Aug 6, 2021
    So we still have to wait and see if/when anything further may ever happen towards the JSA getting their own book.

NOTE: For all we know, something could still be announced in the near future, just not with Bryan Hitch involved at this point.

Damn, August?

I truly have lost all sense of time.

Well, we'll see what happens. I figure if the JSA *is* gonna get some attention, it's most likely to happen during Dark Crisis or the immediate aftermath. We'll just have to keep an eye on solicits and see what DC does.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Alright who gave NYC’s naked cowboy a mini gun?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Damn, August?

I truly have lost all sense of time.

Well, we'll see what happens. I figure if the JSA *is* gonna get some attention, it's most likely to happen during Dark Crisis or the immediate aftermath. We'll just have to keep an eye on solicits and see what DC does.
    We've been doing that for the past five years or so . . .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

We've been doing that for the past five years or so . . .
    Major, I don't know why you keep waiting with baited breath if it's almost certainly not going to be beholden to the Roy Thomas vision of the team that I know you adore.

I won't lie and say I don't open each solicit hoping for a new JSA ongoing (or Green Arrow/Black Canary), but you've got to give it a rest. They'll come back in time, but it's not a hot selling property. They peaked in the modern era back when we had 2 books and a couple spin-offs (Justice Society of America, JSA All-Stars, Power Girl and Magog with JSA Classified shortly before). I don't think we'll ever get back there again, and I am unsure it's going to be the team you remember when it comes back.

It's not a priority. JSA falls under "passion project" at this point. There's no "need" for them to be on the shelves outside to the niche audience it has, and the only big chance to change that was the animated movie we just got (which I never thought I'd see) and the upcoming Black Adam live-action theatrical film. Green Arrow is pretty much relegated to team books and he launched a massive television empire on CW that has introduced an entire new audience to DC. Doesn't have a book. Supergirl was cancelled and got a mini, but otherwise is seemingly MIA again. Both are much hotter properties than the JSA are. There's just no inherent rush to make the book happen, much to our chagrin as fans of the Justice Society.

I've been waiting too. They're my favorite team in comics, right up there with the World's Finest (when it's Superman, Batman and Robin), but complaining about it every day is not going to make it come any sooner nor do much else than engender annoyance from people who may otherwise agree with you. DC don't come here looking for ideas on what to bring back and even less from posters who don't actively buy their books to begin with.

All we can do is as Ascended said, keep on reading those solicits each month and hoping for the best. Right now the current best odds seem to be somewhere around the Black Adam movie releasing. Maybe we'll hear something closer to then. Maybe.

Dark Crisis is about legacy and looking toward the future. This is very likely not where we're going to throwback to the OGs, even if I'd love to see them again.
    Last edited by Robanker; 03-20-2022 at 12:21 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Major, I don't know why you keep waiting with baited breath if it's almost certainly not going to be beholden to the Roy Thomas vision of the team that I know you adore.

I won't lie and say I don't open each solicit hoping for a new JSA ongoing (or Green Arrow/Black Canary), but you've got to give it a rest. They'll come back in time, but it's not a hot selling property. They peaked in the modern era back when we had 2 books and a couple spin-offs (Justice Society of America, JSA All-Stars, Power Girl and Magog with JSA Classified shortly before). I don't think we'll ever get back there again, and I am unsure it's going to be the team you remember when it comes back.

It's not a priority. JSA falls under "passion project" at this point. There's no "need" for them to be on the shelves outside to the niche audience it has, and the only big chance to change that was the animated movie we just got (which I never thought I'd see) and the upcoming Black Adam live-action theatrical film. Green Arrow is pretty much relegated to team books and he launched a massive television empire on CW that has introduced an entire new audience to DC. Doesn't have a book. Supergirl was cancelled and got a mini, but otherwise is seemingly MIA again. Both are much hotter properties than the JSA are. There's just no inherent rush to make the book happen, much to our chagrin as fans of the Justice Society.

I've been waiting too. They're my favorite team in comics, right up there with the World's Finest (when it's Superman, Batman and Robin), but complaining about it every day is not going to make it come any sooner nor do much else than engender annoyance from people who may otherwise agree with you. DC don't come here looking for ideas on what to bring back and even less from posters who don't actively buy their books to begin with.

All we can do is as Ascended said, keep on reading those solicits each month and hoping for the best. Right now the current best odds seem to be somewhere around the Black Adam movie releasing. Maybe we'll hear something closer to then. Maybe.

Dark Crisis is about legacy and looking toward the future. This is very likely not where we're going to throwback to the OGs, even if I'd love to see them again.
    Perfect post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

"Passion project" sounds about right. The title simply isn't a high enough seller to be a major priority. It *is* a title with pedigree, which means it won't stay down forever, but the road might be longer before we see them again. And I agree that when we do, it might not be the JSA we remember (though I'd hope DC learned its lesson with the New52 when it comes to rebooting them).

But don't count Dark Crisis out yet. As much as I still have serious concerns about that event, if they're expanding their focus beyond the obvious (Future State) then it's equally possible they'll use the JSA to explore the concept of legacy from the perspective of the old guard. If the story is about losing spouses and parents and friends, why not look at it from the perspective of losing children too? We may yet see the JSA lamenting that they've out-lived the generation that followed them and built on what they started.

We'll see. I'm definitely not getting my hopes up but new people at DC means we can't assume they'll do what Didio did.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Alright who gave NYC’s naked cowboy a mini gun?
    Is that the same guy from the Rebirth Batgirl annual with Supergirl?

The Justice Society of America has been a group / series where they often have not been cancelled due to sales, but because of editorial decisions. Even during that God-awful tin-can-Alan period just before Flashpoint, the numbers reported for that title were not as low as quite a few other titles that DC would bring back for the New52.

In the past, DC didn't want them around because the characters were too old and/or didn't fit in with what they wanted the lineup to represent, and they didn't care if there were still people who would buy the title. And while DC has been dangling the prospect of returning them to the comic books, it's been just a tease to keep people hooked and hoping. Since DiDio has been shown the door, there hasn't been anything concrete to show that the situation is all that much different when it comes to the JSA. Whether DC will finally publish a series (mini-/limited-/ongoing-) starring the JSA any time soon, I have no idea. But I'm tired of the waiting and the damn teases that go nowhere or turn out to be something else.

And for all those who think I'm being too dramatic, remember back in 2016 when Bleeding Cool had that article about how DC was definitely bringing back a new Justice Society series? Remember how much crap I got when I kept saying "I'll believe it when it happens?"