Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Avengers vs X-Men

So I've recently started a complete re-read of this storyline, I have my own thoughts of it mainly that in the end it really made the X-Men look bad in particular Cyclops. But what are you thoughts on it? What could have been changed to make it a better story or been done differently in the same story?

I thought it was pretty good until the end. I was actually shocked when Scott, Emma, Peter, Illyana and Namor each got 1/5 of the Phoenix Force. It was fun and I was enjoying the story about them being more and more corrupted as they got more of the force as their comrades fell.
    Scott, my guy, was holding his own with half of The Phoenix Force. He did Emma dirty, but I honestly feel the Avengers and X-Men used Xavier to push him too hard and he 100% IS NOT RESPONSIBLE for the death of Xavier.
    I believe there was some resentment in Scott that led to that, but he was corrupted by the Phoenix Force.
    The finale was terrible, but overall I liked it. Marvel sometimes has a hard time "sticking the landing."
    Mutant and Proud!

IT SUCKED.

Everything about AvX was wrong and the story was badly told.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Extraordinary Member

The general consensus among X=fans is that it was bad.

BANNED

AvX only works if you ignore pretty much EVERY story about the Phoenix after DPS. Rachel had to be almost completely cut out because her very EXISTENCE punches a hole in the plot so big you can drive a Helicarrier through it.

I think you nailed it. Casual comic fans or just comic fans who aren’t steeped in X-lore seem to have enjoyed it quite a bit. X-fans just found it ridiculous in a lot of parts because it ignores so much prior history.

I think no one came out looking worse than Steve Rogers. He came across as an easily manipulated moron who couldn't be bothered to hide the fact that he had vastly different standards for different people. He makes more sense if you think Stevil was there instead of his usual version.
    Dark does not mean deep.

They did whatever they wanted with the Phoenix, and I still haven’t recovered from it.
    Last edited by Starchilde; 02-09-2022 at 03:03 PM.

Fantastic Member

Phoenix had always been an X-Men thing, so to have the Avengers suddenly involved, and actually telling the X-Men that they somehow knew better how to handle Phoenix was laughable. Especially with Rachel Summers, actual long-time Phoenix host sidelined. It would be like the X-Men showing up to help the Avengers fight Loki, and telling Thor that they know better than him how to deal with the situation.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think no one came out looking worse than Steve Rogers. He came across as an easily manipulated moron who couldn't be bothered to hide the fact that he had vastly different standards for different people. He makes more sense if you think Stevil was there instead of his usual version.
    Wolverine says hi.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    So I've recently started a complete re-read of this storyline, I have my own thoughts of it mainly that in the end it really made the X-Men look bad in particular Cyclops. But what are you thoughts on it? What could have been changed to make it a better story or been done differently in the same story?
    Actually, I think the intent was to make Scott look bad but it made him look great to anyone who wasn't a Scott hater already. After all the Cyclops Was Right talk, I remember a bunch of interviews trying to convince readers they were wrong in their interpretation.

Ever the opportunist, Bendis picked up on the sentiment and he delivered some awesome pro-Scott and pro-X fan service in his run.

It was awful. I don't know if this is actually true but it felt like Marvel shoehorned the Avengers into what should've been the culmination of years of X-Men stories (Messiah Complex, Second Coming, The Five Lights, etc.) because of the popularity of the MCU Avengers. In the most nonsensical way possible. I don't care for Rachel as a character but she was done so dirty in this book, and that's just scratching the surface of what was wrong with it. They also threw all of Hope's previous characterization out of the window to fit the story. I enjoyed the Phoenix 5 and Wanda's contributions, but that was about it. A total dud of a story that should have been so much better.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

My Thoughts...NOT a Good Event.

I'm not actually a FAN of seeing Super-Heroes Bicker and Fight. Especially, over something that could have been solved over a Conversation Face to Face instead of "ASSUMING" things.

Poor Scott. He had the BIGGEST **** end of the stick. Love you Scott. #Scottwasright LOL
    Last edited by Cyclone_Ablaze; 02-09-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Fantastic Member

It had a fee stand out Moments, and the versus book was fun. But it didn't make sense, had characters acting off, tried to villainize Scott but made him look better.

Very pretty book. Uncanny X-men tie ins were also great.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Yeah, I honestly think the Avengers (and Wolverine) look worse than the X-Men (odd considering it was the Avengers film franchise that was being heavily pushed) the Phoenix 5 were bringing water and food to impoverished nations, etc. and the Avengers would just keep attacking and needling them. They also set up a very obvious interment camp analogy with the X-kids in Avengers Academy. Not a good look for your golden goose film franchise.

I mean it still has some fun match ups, people generally enjoy seeing superhero teams clash. And not counting Rachel's stint in Excalibur, the Phoenix usually does become a problem for the X-Men. So the reason to disagree is perfectly fine (imo). But it should have only happened AFTER diplomacy had been exhausted. Scott and Steve are two very rational people. Why would Cyclops actively choose to make the whole situation more difficult by adding a war with the Avengers to his agenda? Now if it had been two hot heads like Logan and Hawkeye handling negotiations then yeah, probably immediate insults and fisticuffs.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"