Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Hal is one of the League founder
    Dick was the first sidekick and still is the trainer for young heroes
    Wally is the former sidekick who grew to hold the legacy mantle for the longest time
    Yeah they're pretty much perfect
    Though maybe if it's not Hal it can be any of the founder, Hal is just so happen to be a founder that's not on the League right now
    Wait no nevermind it has to be Hal because the other founders have sidekicks that are now part of the Legacy feature. The Corps don't
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-13-2022 at 08:13 AM.

It's actually a little surprising they never gave Hal a teen "trainee" back when everyone was getting sidekicks.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's actually a little surprising they never gave Hal a teen "trainee" back when everyone was getting sidekicks.
    Didn't he have a cousin who became the hero Airwave?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't like the idea that the NTT can only progress if they join the League. I'd much rather see DC treating the older Titans as a powerful team on par with their former mentors.
    It fits for some of them, but the League shouldn't be what everyone aspires to graduate into. But obviously it works for Wally, it should have worked for Vic if DC had given a damn and done him right, and while the League isn't anything I want Dick to join, he's done it in the past when the need has arisen and I have no problem with him joining now, for that reason.

I'm actually really hyped about the idea that Nightwing might be getting treated like the Big Damn Deal he is. Been a long time since we've had that.

And he certainly doesnt need to be Batman. Morrison's DickBats was fun but that's not Nightwing. DickBats only serves to elevate the Batman brand, and Dick's capable of standing on his own two feet and building his own profile. Anyone other than Bruce wearing the pointy eared mantle of Batman is doomed to forever live in Bruce's shadow, and I'll happily leave Jace to that curse while Dick gets to be his own man, do his own thing, and exist beyond Bruce's influence.

I kind of hope by the end of this, the Titans drop the school and reassemble as the first responders to the DCU's biggest threats, while the new legacy JL gets a more down-to-Earth mission statement so they can get properly developed and actually earn their new roles.
    Aside from hoping they don't use the Titans name I agree. Let the new kids stick to earth while Dick and whatever new team forms around him, Wally and Hal take on the bigger threats. The FS kids can call themselves the League if they must, though I'd rather a new name that follows the "Society --> League" evolution, since the League will always be the Big 7 and nobody will look good by comparison. The FS kids might all be legacies but let them be their own team and their own heroes, with their own name.

I'm hoping the adult Titans (with either a new team name or spread among different groups), the JSA, the Teen Titans, and whoever else (Outsiders, etc) get to step up with the Big Names gone. It'd be really nice if the League's monopoly on "importance" was broken and other characters and teams were treated like they actually matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't think there's been any suggestion from anyone at DC that Nightwing is going to become Batman, rather that Nightwing's prominence will increase in Batman's absence.
    And its about gods damn time. Not that Bruce needed to be gone for Nightwing's prominence to rise, but I'll happily take it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Hal is the social butterfly of the JLA. He's tight with Barry who's tight with Ray who's tight with Carter who hates Oliver, who loves Dinah. And Dinah and Hal connect to literally everyone else. Is Dinah confirmed as dead or will she still be alive?

Dinah is the forth. A lot of it is retcons, but she's one of the Big Guns of the Classic DCU. In the same way that Wildcat is now a Big 3 of the JSA.
    I'd be interested in seeing/making a sort of web with DC's main characters, showing who has the strongest links to each other. Probably unwieldy after a certain number of characters, but I always liked identifying these clusters of groups and how many degrees of separation there are between them.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Hal is one of the League founder
    Dick was the first sidekick and still is the trainer for young heroes
    Wally is the former sidekick who grew to hold the legacy mantle for the longest time
    Yeah they're pretty much perfect
    Though maybe if it's not Hal it can be any of the founder, Hal is just so happen to be a founder that's not on the League right now
    Wait no nevermind it has to be Hal because the other founders have sidekicks that are now part of the Legacy feature. The Corps don't
    I think that's why it has to be Hal. Hal never had, nor wanted a student or sidekick. He wanted a partner. And he had plenty in John, Guy, Kyle, and Jess. That's a very different perspective than Dick & Wally, who both had very different teacher/student vibes.

Dinah had mother/daughter vibes, which is a completely different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing/making a sort of web with DC's main characters, showing who has the strongest links to each other. Probably unwieldy after a certain number of characters, but I always liked identifying these clusters of groups and how many degrees of separation there are between them.
    I'd argue the quartet of Barry & Hal & Ollie & Dinah is about the strongest bond in the DCU outside of the World's Finest (of which Dick is the Glue).

I could be completely wrong, and I'm sure there are plans for him in Dark Crisis as part of the Big 3 of classic heroes helping the legacy heroes become A-List. However, I think, by the end of this story, I could easily see Hal taking one for the team in a big showy way to clear the decks for Jessica, Jo, and the dozens of other human GLs.

We've all been through enough of these big events by now to know that they always, always kill off some A-lister to make the story feel more important and epic, irregardless of how long that death lasts. Dark Crisis is starting off with the "deaths" of the Justice League, but I could see Hal being the one to go out at the conclusion. It certainly isn't going to be Dick or Wally. They've both been through the ringer too much. In comparison, Hal's had it pretty damned good, aside from the past few months of almost everyone being too afraid to use him after Morrison & Sharpe's collective mic drop with the character.
    Right, I don't think there's going to be a bad outcome with Dick and Wally, since they've been through hard times.

With that said, honestly, I don't know what they're going to do with Hal. When I think about it, the current management may not view the character the same way like they did in the Johns' era. Multiple writers has declined to use the character in books, which is a little strange. So I'll retract my previous statement, since I don't know what fate this character will face after this is over.

Fantastic Member

He did train Airwave II for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Right, I don't think there's going to be a bad outcome with Dick and Wally, since they've been through hard times.

With that said, honestly, I don't know what they're going to do with Hal. When I think about it, the current management may not view the character the same way like they did in the Johns' era. Multiple writers has declined to use the character in books, which is a little strange. So I'll retract my previous statement, since I don't know what fate this character will face after this is over.
    Wait, writers declined to use him? That's news to me. I thought they just had no plans for him and were more focused on pushing the new additions like Jo and Keli, alongside John in the GL book. Where's the thing about multiple writers not wanting to use Hal coming from.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-14-2022 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Wait, writers declined to use him? That's news to me. I thought they just had no plans for him and were more focused on pushing the new additions like Jo and Keli, alongside John in the GL book. Where's the thing about multiple writers not wanting to use Hal coming from.
    I think it's more a matter of Williamson said he had plans for Hal and nobody wanted to follow Morrison & Sharpe. No one declined to write Hal. He was already taken, so he only appeared in guest roles and background shots until Dark Crisis was ready to go.

That said, it's not like Hal's gone anywhere. He's appeared in comics almost every month in comics like JL: Last Ride and DC vs. Vampires since Morrison & Sharpe's run ended. All those stories might not "count" enough for the more mainline DCU-minded fans though. They hit the spot just fine for me, though, even if I thought both stories could have been more innovative.

. . . Dinah had mother/daughter vibes, which is a completely different animal.
    Especially since the concept of a mother and daughter didn't get introduced until 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

Seems like they were building up to Hal having a bigger role in Dark Crisis.

Yeah I think Hal has only had a few appearances in the Infinite Frontier era, a few in the Green Lantern series with Hal apparently just waiting in the wings, Superman: son of kal-el, and one or two appearances in Justice League.

He’s available just not showing up...maybe he just felt like taking a vacation after Death Metal.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Probably a relaunch with Hal.