Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

I had no clue that DC left.

DC has had it ups and downs but saying it is making a comeback seem pretty far-fetched.

One of the most interesting things about DC is that they are not to be underestimated in any sense. I wont call that as making a come back either.

I was walking down the street trying to get to work and I saw the poster for The Batman and I went, wow this movie release is almost here. I cant believe it was like 4 years ago Robert Pattionson was announced as the next batman.

Anyway cant wait, I feel we are going to be in for an interesting ride. Matt Reeves track record says...mostly excellent.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-11-2022 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Uh…not trying to be a jerk here (and I don’t watch the Arrowverse shows) but how are those programs running six/seven seasons, etc., if nobody’s watching? I’d wager that they have a bigger audience than the “cooler” HBOMax shows.
    Not really, no. The CW is notorious for continuing with shows that do horrible in ratings, like Dynasty.

Incredible Member

not really. the shows / films people are bringing up are overrated, imo, and financially they're still not touching Marvel, which seems to be the benchmark.

if using DC's own history as a benchmark, I would say are you making films as good and as successful as Nolan's Batman trilogy? Are you making TV shows as good as BTAS, or at least Smallville?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Not really, no. The CW is notorious for continuing with shows that do horrible in ratings, like Dynasty.
    CW doesn't have to worry about ratings since they make their money back off streaming deals licensing the show out to stuff like Netflix, since the CW is a smaller network and not available in all markets. What's considered low ratings on, say, NBC are good ratings for CW as they don't have the reach those other networks do.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Uh…not trying to be a jerk here (and I don’t watch the Arrowverse shows) but how are those programs running six/seven seasons, etc., if nobody’s watching? I’d wager that they have a bigger audience than the “cooler” HBOMax shows.
    You can combine the viewership of all the CW shows and it wouldn't come close to the viewership of the Watchman show.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    CW doesn't have to worry about ratings since they make their money back off streaming deals licensing the show out to stuff like Netflix, since the CW is a smaller network and not available in all markets. What's considered low ratings on, say, NBC are good ratings for CW as they don't have the reach those other networks do.
    Correct. Which is why saying they're "more popular" than other network/streaming shows doesn't necessarily track.

Astonishing Member

I would say so. Peacemaker alone, I think, is way better than any of the Marvel Disney Plus shows so far. That could change with Moon Knight hits, and I would say Peacemaker is better than any of the non-Daredevil Netflix Marvel shows.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-11-2022 at 08:45 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You can combine the viewership of all the CW shows and it wouldn't come close to the viewership of the Watchman show.
    Are you sure about that? Where are you getting your numbers?

According to wikipedia:

The highest rated season of The Flash averaged 4.6 million viewers.
    The highest rated season of Supergirl (on CW) averaged 3 million viewers.

The Watchmen averaged about 1.3 million viewers per episode.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Are you sure about that? Where are you getting your numbers?

According to wikipedia:

The highest rated season of The Flash averaged 4.6 million viewers.
    The highest rated season of Supergirl (on CW) averaged 3 million viewers.

The Watchmen averaged about 1.3 million viewers per episode.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ewing-1263021/

Watchmen average 7 million viewers per episode on all available platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ewing-1263021/

Watchmen average 7 million viewers per episode on all available platforms.
    Okay, you got me. (I could quibble and say that number still doesn't eclispe the total CW viewership, as you claimed, but I get your point.)
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

You're not a jerk. Those shows get a lot of seasons because a lot of people watch them for the CW. The CW is a fairly niche network, with a smaller audience than most other channels. It makes profit, but at much lower margins, with a smaller audience, then most others. Shows that would rightly get canned elsewhere with those same viewer numbers are safe on CW, because those lower ratings for other networks are actually pretty high ratings for the CW, dig? Therefore, asking if most people even know the CW is a thing, is a pretty legit question. This isn't ABC, NBC, Fox, or cable or streaming. It's the CW. They do good for what they are and what they do, but they're playing in a much smaller league than the others. So I think we may be overblowing their importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Yes. I remember when there were people on the forums who could not understand how "Buffy" could be the Number One show on a network while "Firefly", on another network, had multiple times the ratings yet was canceled for low ratings. Of course, because FF was on one of the major networks and Buffy was on a network (well, the WB and then Paramount) that amounted to about the equivalent of syndication.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    You're not a jerk. Those shows get a lot of seasons because a lot of people watch them for the CW. The CW is a fairly niche network, with a smaller audience than most other channels. It makes profit, but at much lower margins, with a smaller audience, then most others. Shows that would rightly get canned elsewhere with those same viewer numbers are safe on CW, because those lower ratings for other networks are actually pretty high ratings for the CW, dig? Therefore, asking if most people even know the CW is a thing, is a pretty legit question. This isn't ABC, NBC, Fox, or cable or streaming. It's the CW. They do good for what they are and what they do, but they're playing in a much smaller league than the others. So I think we may be overblowing their importance.
    Being in a "profession" of dealing directly with customers and needing to strike up conversations, I will latch onto almost anything to get one going. I often where a "Flash" shirt and we're off. People frequently say something like, "Hey, Flash", and I'll ask if they watch "the show". Most of the time, it's, "No. I know it exists but I haven't seen it (or watched it a few times or didn't even know it existed) but I know him from the comics (or the new movies or cartoons)".

This is anecdotal, of course. I like the show for all its faults. But it's pretty bad nowadays, when people are more likely to know who he is from having read the comics at some time in their lives than seeing the television show considering what a niche market comics are now.
    Power with Girl is better.

Spectacular Member Material Flux's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    People also underestimate the fact that CW shows are quite popular in other countries as well due to Netflix.