Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I know reboots are done to death. But if there was ever a franchise that needed it (not for awhile), it's probably the Jurassic series.

Both the science and the CGI are outdated at this point. There's been tons of advancements in both and the movies haven't kept up in either. (The science is less egregious since it started to go crazy sci-fi anyway, but the morality of the movie doesn't necessarily make sense either) I don't know if there's any excuse for the CGI to not keep up. Tons of movies are having a lot better looking giant lizard creatures than Jurassic Park...

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I know reboots are done to death. But if there was ever a franchise that needed it (not for awhile), it's probably the Jurassic series.

Both the science and the CGI are outdated at this point. There's been tons of advancements in both and the movies haven't kept up in either. (The science is less egregious since it started to go crazy sci-fi anyway, but the morality of the movie doesn't necessarily make sense either) I don't know if there's any excuse for the CGI to not keep up. Tons of movies are having a lot better looking giant lizard creatures than Jurassic Park...
    I don't think there's really a need to continue the Jurassic Park franchise just let it end I mean do the fans want anymore?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I don't think there's really a need to continue the Jurassic Park franchise just let it end I mean do the fans want anymore?
    I think Dinosaurs are cool! There's clearly still a market for us since all of us know this film is terrible yet we are still seeing it. :P

But we can let it rest a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    -no clear motivation is given to movie's antagonist. At least in previous one there was, however dumb. Now it is just incredibly vague.
    Eh, I thought the motivation was clear enough. Dodson wanted to increase his company's profits by unleashing genetically-modified locusts that would eat all grain crops except those produced by Biosyn, thus forcing farmers to buy his seed. That said, it's a fairly stupid plot considering A) they have no way of controlling the locusts, so they are destroying more crops than Biosyn planned on, and B) it becomes really obvious really quickly who is behind the locusts. But then, Dodson in the books came off as more opportunistic and savvy rather than smart.

Fantastic Member

Was it savy when he ordered the murder of three people in a control room with thirty witnesses?

Technically they could do a reboot that's a bit closer to the novels. The original movie somewhat scaled down and toned down from the novel-for instance, the Park is further along construction-wise, and instead of the skeleton crew in the movie it's pretty much fully staffed. Also the reason for the inspection is largely different; instead of the investors getting antsy about the death of the worker, instead Raptors and compys are escaping to the mainland and causing trouble.

The Lost World movie also was changed significantly, Ingen has nothing to do with it. Some of the basic concepts such as rescuing a paleontologist and the thing with the T-rexes are there (But definitely not the San Diego stuff), but that's it. It also has the Dinosaurs dying of a neurogenerative disease.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think Dinosaurs are cool! There's clearly still a market for us since all of us know this film is terrible yet we are still seeing it. :P

But we can let it rest a long time.
    Sure there's definitely a need for Dinosaur movies but what I'm asking is is there any need for future Jurassic Park movies or would you be okay with any other Dino movie to get your dino fix? Or is it JP or nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    Was it savy when he ordered the murder of three people in a control room with thirty witnesses?
    Did that happen in the books? I was talking of his character in the books (and he did advocate to doing blatantly illegal things in front of the entire board of directors in the books. Can't recall where he ordered anyone murdered, though).

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Sure there's definitely a need for Dinosaur movies but what I'm asking is is there any need for future Jurassic Park movies or would you be okay with any other Dino movie to get your dino fix? Or is it JP or nothing?
    There used to be a bit more Dinosaur material out there; and even when the JP films came out there were some rival series hoping to cash in like the Carnosaur B-movies (One of which had Laura Dern's mother Diane Ladd), The Lost World TV show etc. Even Spielberg produced a Dinosaur animated film around the same time.

I'm not sure the Monsterverse counts as much, Godzilla and the other creatures are pretty much purely fictional.

I think the Walking With Dinosaurs documentaries were pretty popular, and the new Attenborough series (Funny thing, that being hosted by Richard's brother) is getting some good feedback.

As for the franchise continuing in general, Camp Cretacheous is still going.

Spectacular Member Material Flux's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Eh, I thought the motivation was clear enough. Dodson wanted to increase his company's profits by unleashing genetically-modified locusts that would eat all grain crops except those produced by Biosyn, thus forcing farmers to buy his seed. That said, it's a fairly stupid plot considering A) they have no way of controlling the locusts, so they are destroying more crops than Biosyn planned on, and B) it becomes really obvious really quickly who is behind the locusts. But then, Dodson in the books came off as more opportunistic and savvy rather than smart.
    To be fair, they mention that the locusts were supposed to die off quite quickly, but the modifications made them live too long.

I enjoyed it a lot.

Lots of dinosaurs and some very Paleo accurate ones, too.

The supposed deal for a reboot is a R horror series more aligned with the books set in the past but with more accurate dinos. Netflix is currently holding the live action series rights but the movie's current BO and how well Camp Cretaceous is doing might change plans.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Going to see it later today.

I've heard they removed the prehistoric prologue/T-rex drive-in theater attack from the final cut. Maybe why they just decided to release it on youtube.

Kind of interesting that Biosyn isn't quite seen as wholly immoral, as they were in a lot of the whole Jurassic World material-just Dodgson himself and the smugglers/hunters who seem to be mostly personally hired by him from outside the company.

Extraordinary Member

I actually enjoyed it more than I was expecting. The prologue material really needed to be in the movie. The locusts ended up being a smaller part of the film than I was expecting given the way it was described in the reviews. I do wish the plot had been more about the Dinosaurs roaming the human world instead of another corporation, but they need human antagonists.

One thing is I don't know why they feel the need to constantly 1-up the T-Rex. The movies would actually be more realistic if the T-Rex was depicted as too much for a Spinosaurus or a Giganotosaurus to take on. The Indominus Rex is the only time they had an animal against which it was realistic to depict the T-Rex as the underdog.

Thing about the T-rex in Dominion is that she's the same one from the original film and is in her mid 30s, which is pretty elderly (real T-rexes probably only lived to their late 20s).