Page 18 of 98 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Agreed. This is easily Dr. Fate's best costume ever. So iconic & mystifying.
    Dr. Fate's best costume ever? Maybe, but what are the best alternatives for that title? I'm not too familiar with all the variant versions...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Dr. Fate's best costume ever? Maybe, but what are the best alternatives for that title? I'm not too familiar with all the variant versions...
    From the top of my head, we have Kent Nelson, Inza Nelson, Eric Strauss and/or Linda Strauss, Hector Hall, a Kent Nelson that was not supposed to the the original Kent Nelson (I think), Khalid Ben-Hassin and Khalid Nassour, which I'm not sure iof they're supposed to be two completely different characters. There is also Jared Stevens, that was not Dr. Fate, but was supposed to take over from him, retooling his artifacts of power. Many of these, I really haven't followed closely. As for the costumes, the original and Hector Halls are my favorites, but while I find the Earth 2 one a little bit too busy, there are elements I really like, such as the star field.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 07-01-2022 at 12:02 PM.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    From the top of my head, we have Kent Nelson, Inza Nelson, Eric Strauss and/or Linda Strauss, Hector Hall, a Kent Nelson that was not supposed to the the original Kent Nelson (I think), Khalid Ben-Hassin and Khalid Nassour, which I'm not sure iof they're supposed to be two completely different characters. There is also Jared Stevens, that was not Dr. Fate, but was supposed to take over from him, retooling his artifacts of power. Many of these, I really haven't followed closely.

Peace
    The "second" Kent Nelson was Kent V. Nelson (and his love interest was named Inza) and I never got why he didn't get his own name since he was a different character. I think they tried to explain it away by saying he was related to Kent Nelson and named after him, but it felt like the relation was just an excuse to use the same name. Fun fact: he was apparently also Kent Nelson's grand-nephew.

Khalid Ben-Hassin and Khalid Nassour are different characters: they share the same first name and maybe ethnicity, but that's about it. I don't remember if it was ever confirmed in Earth 2 that Khalid Ben-Hassin was American-Egyptian. According to his page on comicvine, he was an archaeologist, not a doctor.

So, it looks like Khalid Nassour was very loosely inspired by Khalid Ben-Hassin (same first name, maybe same ethnicity, some kind of relation to Kent Nelson)

Honestly, I was kinda disappointed to hear his storyline just got dropped and you never found out what happened to his grandfather (I think it's brought up once to entice him to pick up the helmet and then it's just gone) He also had an interesting deal in that the helmet was slowly going to drive him mad and his friendship (maybe romance) with Hawkgirl (who had a great costume too)

When I first heard about it, which was after it had been over for a while, I thought the Earth 2 story sounded interesting until it swerved into a bunch of stuff I didn't care about like Batman, Superman and doomsday. I was glad I never picked up the book myself and just leached off my friend's collection.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 07-01-2022 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    From the top of my head, we have Kent Nelson, Inza Nelson, Eric Strauss and/or Linda Strauss, Hector Hall, a Kent Nelson that was not supposed to the the original Kent Nelson (I think), Khalid Ben-Hassin and Khalid Nassour, which I'm not sure iof they're supposed to be two completely different characters. There is also Jared Stevens, that was not Dr. Fate, but was supposed to take over from him, retooling his artifacts of power. Many of these, I really haven't followed closely. As for the costumes, the original and Hector Halls are my favorites, but while I find the Earth 2 one a little bit too busy, there are elements I really like, such as the star field.

Peace
    Oh wow I had no clue they were all Dr Fate. That is crazy.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    That is DC.

Yeah, Young Justice TV having Zatara, Zatanna, Traci 13 and Khalid share the role (it was originally just Zatara who replaced Kent when he died, but that changed in Phantoms) doesn't seem so far fetched when you realise that Kent had several successors in the comics too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That is DC.
    Very true. I am just surprised at myself that I did not know that many. I love Dr Fate.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Very true. I am just surprised at myself that I did not know that many. I love Dr Fate.
    From DC Special #29 (August-September 1977)
    "The Untold Origin of the Justice Society":

From DC Special #29 (August-September 1977)
    "The Untold Origin of the Justice Society":
    Oh wow very cool. I have never seen this before.

Oh wow very cool. I have never seen this before.
    The original version was

The revised, post-CoIE retelling was in Secret Origins #31 (October 1988).

The original version was

The revised, post-CoIE retelling was in Secret Origins #31 (October 1988).
    Such amazing art.

I am really hoping we see the JSA past Dark Crisis.

Such amazing art.

I am really hoping we see the JSA past Dark Crisis.
    Don't hold your breath. We've been hoping to see the JSA for years and have gotten nothing but teases.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

how many times can DC polish a turd?

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Don't hold your breath. We've been hoping to see the JSA for years and have gotten nothing but teases.
    Well, they're supposedly showing up in Dark Crisis, but who knows how that will go?

I'm not reading it and I don't trust Williamson's writing after that lame story in Batman with Batman Incorporated.

Well, they're supposedly showing up in Dark Crisis, but who knows how that will go?

I'm not reading it and I don't trust Williamson's writing after that lame story in Batman with Batman Incorporated.
    If Williamson does not bring it with Dark Crisis I am done with big DC events for awhile.

Williamson is not a bad writer it is just he writes a good amount of books. It can be a lot. Just ask Geoff Johns.

We will see what happens. With a tease of issue #3 you never know where this could go.
    Last edited by InfamousBG; 07-05-2022 at 08:41 AM.