Page 26 of 98 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

I like Pieter as well, but if they blended aspects of Pieter's character into Beth (who I also really liked) then I'd be happy.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    I like Pieter as well, but if they blended aspects of Pieter's character into Beth (who I also really liked) then I'd be happy.
    I'll pass on that. Just use Pieter if you want his elements. This is a chance for a new Doctor Mid-Nite, so let's actually make her unique.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I know I have this issue, and I have read it, but I don't remember anything of it. Not one single thing. I do remember hating everything that had to do with Alan's new "Lantern" costume, but I'll have to check it out.

Peace
    Don't bother.

It was from right before Flashpoint, where the writer pointless expanded the team, diluted the concept, all to get his pet characters some screen time.

My favorite worst thing is Alan and Jay fighting over killing a damn baby from WW2

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Don't bother.

It was from right before Flashpoint, where the writer pointless expanded the team, diluted the concept, all to get his pet characters some screen time.

My favorite worst thing is Alan and Jay fighting over killing a damn baby from WW2
    Yeah, I remembered when he added some of his OCs from an arc of Batman he wrote, they never made any sense in the team (like Blue Devil or that Red Beetle that appeared out of nowhere and di nothing during her appearances). That run was so horrible and boring, like basically all of Gugenheim's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'll pass on that. Just use Pieter if you want his elements. This is a chance for a new Doctor Mid-Nite, so let's actually make her unique.
    But . . . Beth isn't really "new".

She was around during CoIE back in 1985.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

She is in the sense that no one is going to worry about writing her like she is the same Beth Chapel that existed in the late 80's/early 90's. They might use the version on the Stargirl series as a template, but they are just as likely to just let the next writer treat her as a new creation.

Yeah, the version on Stargirl isn't blind, and isn't an actual doctor due to being a teenager (they made her mother one instead). So the question is, will she be blind, and will she still be an adult? We already know she's been given a retro costume like her TV counterpart instead of keeping the 1980s suit.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, the version on Stargirl isn't blind, and isn't an actual doctor due to being a teenager (they made her mother one instead)...
    But don't forget there once was . . . DOOGIE HOWSER, M.D.!

But, seriously, have the occasional glimpses we've seen of Doctor Midnight in recent comic books make her appear to be a teenager?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I know that, Major. You know I know that. But she was in so few things and so long ago that she's going to be new in all but name. Her characterization will likely skew towards the show, which is the first time she's been used in nearly three to four decades.

Please don't use every chance to be pedantic.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I just mean the super-physician aspect - which picks up on her 80s characterization anyway. Occupy the role that Pieter played in his last years as the go-to doctor in the DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    I just mean the super-physician aspect - which picks up on her 80s characterization anyway. Occupy the role that Pieter played in his last years as the go-to doctor in the DCU.
    A Dr. Mid-Nite or Dr. Midnight really should have the see in the dark and medical go to. The Golden Age was filled with folks who just threw on a costume and ran out to beat up bad guys. There should be something there to differentiate a character from the flock. I understand the desire to sync up with the TV show Stargirl as much as possible, but with the JSA being updated to the 21st century, characters need more gravitas than they had back in the Golden Age.

I'm torn on a pet owl, though.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    . . . I'm torn on a pet owl, though.
    I prefer a "companion" over a "pet" owl.

An owl who still lives in the wild but tends to show up when Dr. Mid-Nite goes into action, as opposed to a "pet" who lives in Dr. Mid-Nite's home.

I prefer a "companion" over a "pet" owl.

An owl who still lives in the wild but tends to show up when Dr. Mid-Nite goes into action, as opposed to a "pet" who lives in Dr. Mid-Nite's home.
    While companion is probably a better term than pet, a wild owl showing up when Dr. Mid-Nite needs them implies some sort of extra ability. I'm not sure the JSA is ready for Dr. Mid-Nite to get involved in the next red/green nature hubbub.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

A few thoughts about the Drs. Mid-Nite/Midnight:

1) Of all the Golden Age JSAers, I personally found Dr. Mid-Nite the most boring. He's got a cool gimmick, and having a doctor on the team is nice, but he just never felt like he got a *great* story. You notice that no one's ever clamored to have Chuck's lame "Death by Extant" retconned away.
    2) Back in the 80's, I remember thinking that the second wave of Infinity Inc. characters (Hourman II, Wildcat II, and Dr. Midnight) were kind of lame. In hindsight, I appreciate Thomas's efforts to broaden the cultural imprint of a team that, until then, had been pretty damn white (an aside - Mr. Bones was just McFarlane's dry run for Spawn, right?). Still, I never really cottoned to them. That said, their deaths were atrocious, and deserving of a retcon.
    3) Pieter Cross. His mini series was good, he was always a decent presence in Johns' JSA, but again, I guess I never really he dug him that much. He just seemed like such a "modern day clone" of the original that I wondered why he needed to exist.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that I've never really liked *any* incarnation of the character, I guess. That said, if we have to have a Dr. Mid-Nite, I think I'd prefer Beth in the role. She's never had the benefit of good, modern writing, so I'd like to see that.

(and yes, I just spent ten minutes rambling about my "meh" feelings... maybe I need a new hobby

But don't forget there once was . . . DOOGIE HOWSER, M.D.!

But, seriously, have the occasional glimpses we've seen of Doctor Midnight in recent comic books make her appear to be a teenager?
    You just can't tell as she's not appeared unmasked as far as I know. They've synergised the costume to the show, but I don't know if they've also de-aged her and removed her blindness (the show changed it so the goggles serve as an AI and HUD, instead of just letting her see).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman