Page 28 of 98 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

As I hear after Robinson left it basically became Injustice with Thomas Wayne Batman showing up and a new Superman in Val-Zod

Huh to think Michael B. Jordan is making a movie out of Val-Zod

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    As I hear after Robinson left it basically became Injustice with Thomas Wayne Batman showing up and a new Superman in Val-Zod

Huh to think Michael B. Jordan is making a movie out of Val-Zod
    Thomas Wayne was brought in by James Robinson. Taylor was the one who moved him from occasional to starring status. Even though Bruce Wayne was old enough to have an adult daughter, DC uses his father as a new Batman when they've constantly hedged on older heroes. Thomas Wayne was, IMO, the biggest problem James Robinson created.

As for Val-Zod, his appeal for me was that he's a pacifist with Kryptonian powers. We're not talking "no violence until no other options exist", but period. That was a nice contrast to the more open and expressive Power Girl. Val-Zod's creation was probably the best thing Tom Taylor did on this book.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

The New 52 version had potential when it debuted even if it was a faulty idea.

The original Earth 2, at least for me, was interesting because of its history. This version was pretty much lacking in any history prior to issue #1,

Once I got passed that and accepted it as just another parallel Earth I found it interesting. Not fond of killing off the Trinity but even that wasn't a deal breaker. I liked Jay and Alan with their new backstories. I wanted to see where this was going.

Unfortunately the story kept getting darker. Alan was the only character getting focus that I liked as Jay sort of faded into the background and the others were uninteresting at best. By the time they villainized Superman and brought back Thomas Wayne, the combination of bad plot elements and darkness left me running for the door. There just was nothing left for me to enjoy- every issue was more depressing than the last.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Thomas Wayne was brought in by James Robinson. Taylor was the one who moved him from occasional to starring status. Even though Bruce Wayne was old enough to have an adult daughter, DC uses his father as a new Batman when they've constantly hedged on older heroes. Thomas Wayne was, IMO, the biggest problem James Robinson created.

As for Val-Zod, his appeal for me was that he's a pacifist with Kryptonian powers. We're not talking "no violence until no other options exist", but period. That was a nice contrast to the more open and expressive Power Girl. Val-Zod's creation was probably the best thing Tom Taylor did on this book.
    We did get so see his pacifism in play vs PG's...er...not pacifism. It didn't work out too well for poor Val-Zod, to the point where PG exclaims that she's that world's Superman, (not Val-Zod). He just plain couldn't fight against Darkseid at all. Which might seem reasonable until you see what she did. A nice touch in theory, until you realize that nearly all superhero comic books depend on the very thing Val-Zod doesn't want to do, and doesn't do all that well when he is forced to. So...that really went nowhere, as it didn't even touch down long enough to explore what happened then? Did PG upbraid Val for being useless? Did she not mention it, but he then resolved to do better the next time? Did nothing at all happen? We never find out.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    We did get so see his pacifism in play vs PG's...er...not pacifism. It didn't work out too well for poor Val-Zod, to the point where PG exclaims that she's that world's Superman, (not Val-Zod). He just plain couldn't fight against Darkseid at all. Which might seem reasonable until you see what she did. A nice touch in theory, until you realize that nearly all superhero comic books depend on the very thing Val-Zod doesn't want to do, and doesn't do all that well when he is forced to. So...that really went nowhere, as it didn't even touch down long enough to explore what happened then? Did PG upbraid Val for being useless? Did she not mention it, but he then resolved to do better the next time? Did nothing at all happen? We never find out.
    Use of such a character is not easy. I grant that. Sometimes higher concepts or more unusual characterizations require a more talented touch. As you say, a good idea in theory. But many superhero stories have ended without a climactic fight.

Extraordinary Member

Use of such a character is not easy. I grant that. Sometimes higher concepts or more unusual characterizations require a more talented touch. As you say, a good idea in theory. But many superhero stories have ended without a climactic fight.
    Perhaps, but the point is a continuously viable heroic character must fight from time to time.

BANNED

Agreed. Val Zod was a very poorly thought out character. As you said, it's hard to have a superhero that refuses to ever fight, especially in a comic where the planet is on the verge of destruction from space demons. His refusal to fight made him seem almost irresponsible when people are being slaughtered all around him and the world is eventually obliterated while he basically just stands there. He later had the gall to lecture the other heroes about how it was their fault the world ended and threw the Superman shield in the dirt.

Outside of that, nothing about him really worked. He is Zod's son, but this version of Zod is apparently a good guy, so that idea doesn't really ever go anywhere. He's agoraphobic for roughly two issues before it's completely forgotten about. He goes from being a frightened kid to being the leader somehow to being a sanctimonious jerk with no logical reasons as to why. The whole thing with Alan in the series was that he was essentially the Superman of his generation and he gets entirely sidelined by this weird, poorly developed character.

In my opinion, Val Zod pretty much ruined that series. He just the worst.

Perhaps, but the point is a continuously viable heroic character must fight from time to time.
    And therein lies a conflict of emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I just hope they don't add elements from the TV show version to the character of Beth. TV Beth is very annoying, IMHO.

Peace
    Sometimes, but she's a teenager and all teenagers are a little annoying lol

I hope the DC version is an adult version of her, so fully a doctor who can be the DCU super-physician, and maintain some of the TV Beth's quirkiness, mellowed with age and experience.

Thomas Wayne was brought in by James Robinson. Taylor was the one who moved him from occasional to starring status. Even though Bruce Wayne was old enough to have an adult daughter, DC uses his father as a new Batman when they've constantly hedged on older heroes. Thomas Wayne was, IMO, the biggest problem James Robinson created...
    But Bruce's adult daughter was stuck on another Earth when Thomas rose to prominence.

I'm very curious, what do JSA fans think of the Earth-2 series from the NU52?

The one with all the younger versions of the guys.
    IMHO, it was one of the best things to come out of the New 52 (not much of a praise for many, I know). I liked it quite a lot under Robinson, but it started to fall apart after he left. I didn't mind so much Taylor, even if he did shift the foccus from the breath of fresh air that was the E2 Trinity (GL, Flash and Hawkgirl) to yet again another version of Batman and Superman, however, after Taylor left, it really took a dive. It went from "world bulding" to "world deconstruction" and then full out "world destruction". As other have mentioned, it was never quite the JSA, just a bunch of heroes inspired by them, however, it had its moments, many of them.
    Abbnett's Society was better than the whole destruction of Earth 2 saga, if you can call it that, however, it was still an uphill battle. That said, it closed the series quite intrestingly, and t was an ending with tons of potential. I really wish we could see (or have seen) from where it would have gone from there. I'd definitely buy the book if the characters, and the World in question, were brought back.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Erased out anyways

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But Bruce's adult daughter was stuck on another Earth when Thomas rose to prominence.
    Even if your adult granddaughter is in another universe, that doesn't affect your age. You're still old enough to have an adult grandchild no matter where she is.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Agreed. Val Zod was a very poorly thought out character. As you said, it's hard to have a superhero that refuses to ever fight, especially in a comic where the planet is on the verge of destruction from space demons. His refusal to fight made him seem almost irresponsible when people are being slaughtered all around him and the world is eventually obliterated while he basically just stands there. He later had the gall to lecture the other heroes about how it was their fault the world ended and threw the Superman shield in the dirt.

Outside of that, nothing about him really worked. He is Zod's son, but this version of Zod is apparently a good guy, so that idea doesn't really ever go anywhere. He's agoraphobic for roughly two issues before it's completely forgotten about. He goes from being a frightened kid to being the leader somehow to being a sanctimonious jerk with no logical reasons as to why. The whole thing with Alan in the series was that he was essentially the Superman of his generation and he gets entirely sidelined by this weird, poorly developed character.

In my opinion, Val Zod pretty much ruined that series. He just the worst.
    Well damn thats something.

Why is getting a movie then?

BANNED

Well damn thats something.

Why is getting a movie then?
    I think there has been interest in doing a black Superman movie from Hollywood and he's one of the only canon ones. Plus he has a cool costume. I honestly doubt there's much more to it than that.