Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Your Hopes And Wishes For DC Studios - The Gunn/Safran Era

Yesterday marked director James Gunn and producer Pete Safran’s very first day heading the newly created DC Studios, and I was wondering what are your hopes or expectations for this regime. What projects should they green-lit? What characters should they use?

For me:

- I want a Plastic Man movie green-lit with a filmmaker of the caliber of Edgar Wright.

- A big budget New Gods tv series.

- Better and more cohesive continuity(I would like for more DCEU shows that connect to the wider movie universe)

- Finally get a new Green Lantern movie off the ground.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

- Give enough freedom to filmmakers.

- Don't be overbearing toxic pricks and treat your movies' cast and crew with respect.

- Make sure to keep budget in check while also making Zaslav realize that when it's necessary he needs to spend more money to make more money.

- Don't kowtow to toxic fandoms.

- Don't make decisions based on what's "trending" on some BS app.

- Do the characters and their histories justice.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-02-2022 at 08:09 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

All I want is a good time at the movies with my favorite DC characters.

I want the movies and characters to feel like the DC universe. They can change things...like the MCU does or how other adaptions have (Smallville) but it needs to feel like it is true to the heart of the universe and characters. Not the dark, dramatic, slow motion nonsense we have been getting.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Hire people to make the movies that actually understand the characters and what's appealing about them.

Those people don't have to be fans, though it'd be nice if they were. You just need somebody who can set aside their ego and personal preferences, do the research, and say "Okay, these are the core themes/traits/tones/etc of the character and franchise, this is why that franchise has been a global icon for generations (or at least popular among nerds for a while) and we can bring that into a modern sensibility and into the live-action format in this way."

That's it. You do that and hire the right people, and they'll ensure that everything else goes off the way it should.

It is both easier than WB has made it, and harder than they ever imagined. Alchemy, not science. But a real straight forward kind of alchemy that requires little more than some basic literary analysis and market research.

Past that? I don't care what they do. I don't dare wish for anything specific, for fear that I'll watch a favorite character get ruined by corporate idiots (again).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Wishes, but not expectations

- Wonder Woman animated series

- Titans movie trilogy

- Hawkman movie trilogy

- JSA series

- The Authority series (or just anything with Midnighter and Apollo)

Harley Quinn banished to the Shadow Realm.

I want Consistency.

Well since Gunn loves himself some C-listers, movies about Vixen, Firestorm (Jason), and Doctor Fate (Khalid) are must haves for me. Along with Brainiac being the villain of the Man of Steel sequel.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Spectacular Member

A willingness to slam the breaks when things are not working

People always seem to mock the DCEU for “shifting plans”

But in truth that is not at all what happened

Warner brothers refused to cancel justice league when dawn of justice failed with audiences…going full steam ahead despite everyone literally begging them to slam the breaks

And they refused to stop making films when justice league failed

Zaslav canceling batgirl was one of the best business decisions I have ever seen out of this company and is long overdue

We need a DC that is willing to slam the breaks and think about the future

We need a DC that is willing to make the decisions for the greater good of the franchise
    Last edited by Dagothoth; 11-02-2022 at 06:36 PM.

-Get as far away from Zack Snyder's "Vision" for DC Movies as possible.

-A New Superman Movie with a new director and writers.

-A Green Lantern movie
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

New Gods film

Green Lantern films with Hal Jordan and the Corps

Justice Society or JSA film

The Batman family

Wally West

The Teen Titans (not like that awful show now)

Superman done the right way

Deathstroke series

Green Arrow film
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

- Make sure to keep budget in check while also making Zaslav realize that when it's necessary he needs to spend more money to make more money.
    I’m here for this, though the exact stuff I want seems to likely already be doomed by Zaslav’s previous precedent:

- Explore launching more modestly budgeted “spin off” films featuring more humble but still spectacular “family” characters; like, I still think a Cass Cain movie with Batfamily members as supporting cast should be very affordable and very easy to make bank on if you get the right action director on it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

My single hope is that the DC characters drive things rather than the talent.

Astonishing Member

1. Allow every movie in the DCEU to have its own tone and style. Don't try to impose an MCU-esq 'house'-style because that way you may get consistency, but you also get quiet a few generic movies. For instance, Gunn being in charge doesn't mean that every DC movie should tonally be like The Suicide Squad (or for that matter Guardians of the Galaxy). Gunn was given the freedom to do something different in the MCU...he should give DC filmmakers the same freedom.

2. Retain Hamada's plan for doing 'Black Label'/out-of-continuity movies. The Jokerverse and the Reevesverse of course, but even for other characters/projects. Let the Multiverse be a strength. Not everything has to fit together or tie into one big universe (besides, if you ever want to do a big-screen COIE someday, it makes sense to have multiple established realities!). This also allows you to do experiments without risking the DCEU itself.

3. Work towards a new Justice League film as a priority. I think a successful universally loved JL film is the shot in the arm the DCEU needs to stay relevant, and frankly there's little point in maintaining the DCEU as a shared universe if you're not going to do a big JL film at some point (I sometimes think MCU Phase 4 has floundered a bit due to not having an Avengers film to build up to).

4. There are a few other films that are really no-brainers to fast-track - a new Superman film with Cavill, a Green Lantern film, a JSA film...maybe a solo Ben Affleck Batman film if he's willing to return (though that would conflict with the Reevesverse).