Page 29 of 98 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Yeah, it's basically him or Calvin Ellis. But isn't President Superman more popular?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I guess cause President Superman might be appear as too loaded so Val was the safer bet.

Wonder if he'll appear again if the movie does get made.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, it's basically him or Calvin Ellis. But isn't President Superman more popular?
    I'd say President Superman is more popular, but also more difficult to set up. Plus President Superman is too closely tied (for good or ill) to Obama. It might be seen as polarizing (which race-bending Superman will already have issues with).If you are looking to put butts in seats you can't load the movie with more things that will divide your audience.

I would say after the whole Justice League Debacle, MAYBE they start in the beginning and show bring the JSA to the forefront starting in the 60's/70's and then lead into the Silver Age in the 2020's or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I guess cause President Superman might be appear as too loaded so Val was the safer bet.

Wonder if he'll appear again if the movie does get made.
    With the regime change at WB, I'd fall over dead if the Val-Zod movie gets produced now. I'd guess they'll want a Clark movie franchise going now before they invest in an alternate universe Superman movie.
    For the same reason I don't think a Supergirl movie would get greenlit before Superman is back on his feet movie-wise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Calvin is a way better character, but I agree with the other posters that the Obama stuff might be a little too on the nose.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The New 52 version had potential when it debuted even if it was a faulty idea.

The original Earth 2, at least for me, was interesting because of its history. This version was pretty much lacking in any history prior to issue #1,

Once I got passed that and accepted it as just another parallel Earth I found it interesting. Not fond of killing off the Trinity but even that wasn't a deal breaker. I liked Jay and Alan with their new backstories. I wanted to see where this was going.

Unfortunately the story kept getting darker. Alan was the only character getting focus that I liked as Jay sort of faded into the background and the others were uninteresting at best. By the time they villainized Superman and brought back Thomas Wayne, the combination of bad plot elements and darkness left me running for the door. There just was nothing left for me to enjoy- every issue was more depressing than the last.
    I was coming to make a whole thing on my love of the New 52 Earth-2 title but this pretty much nailed my thinking. Had Robinson not left and they maybe launched a companion title I think it would've been great. But right at the start it looked like they were trying to destroy it and force the characters over onto Prime Earth. Honestly it was a shame I loved the idea of only using and updating golden age characters and thought using Jay was a great choice for view point character. Then Robinson left and Taylor just kept killing off characters until really all that remained were the ones he introduced and I say that as someone who likes Val Zod and Thomas Wayne. So many plots left dangling.

Boisterously Confused

Sooner or later, if DC Comics doesn't simply go extinct or abandon its Golden Age altogether, somebody is going to unplug the JSA from WWII.

I'll mourn that. But sooner or later, it will have to happen if DC wants to keep those characters in continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Sooner or later, if DC Comics doesn't simply go extinct or abandon its Golden Age altogether, somebody is going to unplug the JSA from WWII.

I'll mourn that. But sooner or later, it will have to happen if DC wants to keep those characters in continuity.
    I mean do they really? Whose really still around from WW2 besides characters whose powers make them near immortal and those that can reincarnate. ItÂ’s basically just Jay, Alan, Ted, Carter, & Shayera. Everyone else is a kid, grandkid, or unrelated.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean do they really? Whose really still around from WW2 besides characters whose powers make them near immortal and those that can reincarnate. ItÂ’s basically just Jay, Alan, Ted, Carter, & Shayera. Everyone else is a kid, grandkid, or unrelated.
    The kids are also a problem. Alan having kids in their 20s makes less and less sense as time goes on. All the younger gen characters won't be able to have the same connections or relationships after a while. A lot of it gets too convoluted unless you have the entire team and their spouses trapped in the Limbo dimension together or some other way to have them all trapped outside of time together. It just gets too complicated after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    The kids are also a problem. Alan having kids in their 20s makes less and less sense as time goes on. All the younger gen characters won't be able to have the same connections or relationships after a while. A lot of it gets too convoluted unless you have the entire team and their spouses trapped in the Limbo dimension together or some other way to have them all trapped outside of time together. It just gets too complicated after a while.
    The time skip makes a lot of sense. The only problem is figuring out which heroes and villains make the jump. As for supporting cast and spouses/significant others, I'd be willing to let them be introduced after the time jump but still before the heroic age. A time jump bringing the JSA about 30 or so years before now allows them to be older, hopefully wiser, and able to have adult children to play now. And yes, I realize there will be those who would rather have Joan meet Jay back in the Golden Age. Those that disagree are welcome to come up with their own plot device.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

Got one more decade at least.

Then move them up to fictional war.

I'm pretty against making the JSA from a fictional war myself. I think people just tend to overthink it.

Incredible Member

If Captain America can stick around and not change from WW2 to Vietnam or Gulf War or a fake war the JSA can as well. The simplest solution is switching kinds to grandkids or great grandkids

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    If Captain America can stick around and not change from WW2 to Vietnam or Gulf War or a fake war the JSA can as well. The simplest solution is switching kinds to grandkids or great grandkids
    That only works if they restore Earth 2 and let things there be in real time. Accept that Jade and Obsidian along with any other Infinitors are around 60, Any current heroes not tied to a time jump would be the JSA's grandkids at least and probably more like great-grandkids. Seeing either the JSA or Infinity inc in their prime would require period pieces like All-Star Squadron.

I'd hate to lose the JSA as they were published. They were the actual history of the DCU- we didn't have all those old stories updated or erased. Having these guys skip over decades and lose their supporting casts and stories is making them into different characters. And if you are doing that you might as well just kill them off.