Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I hope we will see Trance in this, her powers are the same as the new character.

This looks good
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Love to see so many cameos that aren't made up generic nameless mutants.

I see Fabian, Maggot, Pixie, Chamber. Gorgon, Dust, Xorn, (pointy ear in shadow could be Anole given the grooves on the head?) and of course Lost
    Wonder who the one with the mohawk is.....
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Love to see so many cameos that aren't made up generic nameless mutants.

I see Fabian, Maggot, Pixie, Chamber. Gorgon, Dust, Xorn, (pointy ear in shadow could be Anole given the grooves on the head?) and of course Lost
    Plus this interview didn’t even touch on Blindfold which I’m sure will be a huge plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    That's Maggot (in the foreground on the left)
    You can see his sluggos on his shoulders peeking.

Unless you mean Doc Nemesis in the middle?
    Last edited by Fokken; 02-11-2022 at 07:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Seems to be Maggot, with the artist giving his slugs teeth though.

If you mean the one further in the middle that's Doctor Nemesis with his mushroom "enhanced" scalp.

Astonishing Member

I'm so torn because I like how Spurrier TALKS about his concepts and his characters but his execution doesn't often follow through for me. The sight of Cortez still being visually prominent in that one picture doesn't help, because I think his whole storyline with Lost was just incredibly conceptually flawed and the best thing Spurrier could do would be to just move past it, but c'est la vie. Tbh his handling of Lost moving forward is going to decide a lot for me - there's a lot of big talk about what a strong, forthright character she's going to be now (I get the feeling he at least HEARD some of the criticism of her previous arc and is trying to compensate for it here) but if we don't actually SEE that version of the character on the page, its like.....mmm, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I'm so torn because I like how Spurrier TALKS about his concepts and his characters but his execution doesn't often follow through for me. The sight of Cortez still being visually prominent in that one picture doesn't help, because I think his whole storyline with Lost was just incredibly conceptually flawed and the best thing Spurrier could do would be to just move past it, but c'est la vie. Tbh his handling of Lost moving forward is going to decide a lot for me - there's a lot of big talk about what a strong, forthright character she's going to be now (I get the feeling he at least HEARD some of the criticism of her previous arc and is trying to compensate for it here) but if we don't actually SEE that version of the character on the page, its like.....mmm, interesting.
    Agree with all of this. I think Spurrier has great ideas and speaks about them in interviews in a way that gets you really intrigued, but the execution in Way of X was very hit or miss for me. He’s recently talked about how he likes reading constructive criticism and how it helps further learning and development though, so there’s hope. I’ll definitely be giving the book a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    I feel like there’s some sort of strange irony to this. Didn’t Nightcrawler’s AU daughter Nocturne have this exact power and she’s considered a hero?
    She didn't actually use it that often, compared to acrobatics. And presumably the Skinjacker is just doing it for kicks where Nocturne used it for actual "save the world" purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Is that supposed to be Maggott in front of Lost? I think that's Chamber between Pixie and Dr. Nemesis. I love a man with a beard, but I still think it just doesn't make sense with Kurt being covered in fur.
    @Spurrier: on behalf of all Chamber fans, please get him out of the yellow. Thank you

Anyway, I’m trying not to be optimistic because that usually leads to disappointment. But I am curious to see how this goes.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Yeah, I completely agree, I really wanted to love Way of X, as Kurt’s always been my favourite. The pre book interviews and hype were fantastic but my biggest issues were Kurt’s sometimes bizarre characterisation and Lost. Again, the idea of Lost felt better than the execution. Using a character of colour in such a clumsy and stereotypical way felt cringeworthy (as did David’s horrible interference with Alani and Cecilly).

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    Agree with all of this. I think Spurrier has great ideas and speaks about them in interviews in a way that gets you really intrigued, but the execution in Way of X was very hit or miss for me. He’s recently talked about how he likes reading constructive criticism and how it helps further learning and development though, so there’s hope. I’ll definitely be giving the book a try.
    He definitely reacted to the criticism of the Loa/Mercury situation and I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt on his deliberate intention to show that David was wrong but it felt clumsy and a misstep.
    Lost bugged me. We need more women of colour in the X-Books but I don’t want them to be victims (or just care givers, she’s relegated to caring for other peoples children in one book). I want to see her succeed, develop, find her place, find her voice.
    And I want our Kurt, please, not sanctimonious, preachy Kurt, getting blind drunk and making an ass of himself. Why? It wasn’t a plot point, there wasn’t a purpose to it, none of his friends (his family) stepped in or even commented (apart from Kitty who just leaves him under a tree). Why is he living alone, sleeping on the floor, surrounded by empty bottles? Is his drinking a plot thread or just how the writer sees him?

So I will give him another chance but I am much less enthusiastic than I was with Way of X.

Incredible Member

All I will say is they dont bring back and show a reunion of Squidboy and Juggernaut, then Cain should release a Mystique/Destiny sized retribution on the island.

I know what you mean, way of X was not my thing at all. What Cortez did to Lost was wrong, wrong wrong, and the fact that nightcrawler basically forced Lost to deal with something traumatic she wasn't ready for and with the perpetrator no less just had me all kinds of triggered and not even for myself. Then there was the fact that the one black character became a gag of making people throw up, it just for me was not a good look. On top of that i didn't understand why the Xorn brothers just fell in line with Legion or why Nightcrawler became so submissive to his whims. In hindsight and seeing where hickman was planning to go while the execution in my opinion left a lot to be desired i can understand the concept he was working with.

Beyond that his original legion series with blindfold in it was top notch and his Black Knight Xmen was good which left me to get the Curse of the Ebony blade trade which was a really fun read and ended up with a new magical mixed-raced mutant who is the child of a prominent marvel legend. Also he seemed like a real fan in both the Black knight book and the interview so thats basically the long way of saying i will give it a try for sure. lol

His work adapts and usually for the better. can't fault that.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Yeah. I like Spurrier's writing, but I've been burned by his execution before, and Way of X was a huge letdown for me. He was clearly more interested in writing Legion than any other character, and I'm afraid Kurt's going to wind up playing second fiddle again. I'll wait for the reviews on this one.

BANNED

Way of X was probably the title that left the biggest impression on me, after Hellions. I was into it for the most part, but by the end of Onslaught Revelation, neither "the spark" or the Alter really landed for me, and I was left feeling pretty letdown. The former was just too ill-defined & abstract, while the latter's hivemind concept elicited little more than aversion. So, I was on the fence, but with this answer:

The titular character of this book, David Haller (AKA Legion), is another old favorite of yours who appeared in Way of X and was the focus of your X-Men: Legacy run.

Yes, I love Legion because, to me, he's the epitome of creative use of the mutant metaphor. The metaphor, of course, has been used to comment on racism, gender, sexuality, class, and prejudice -- all these important matters. When I did X-Men: Legacy, it was beyond important to me that it be a metaphor for mental health. Legion is the perfect character to let you talk about that. The fact that you can't cure yourself when you're struggling with mental issues, but you can learn to manage yourself. You can own your problems. He had this little rubric of, "I rule me." He refused to be under anyone else's power, even himself. He realized he was always going to be a problem, so he wrote himself out of reality. Marvel being Marvel, he immediately wrote himself back in. [laughs] That's cool because it means I get to play with him some more. ...
    I think I'm more inclined now, to give him a chance to expound further, and win me back. After the cores of X-Men, Red, and Immortal, this was already the satellite series that had piqued my interest most, anyway.