Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm not sure about the timing, but Abe showed up in Superior Foes of Spider-Man, IIRC.
    That's a good few years before Secret Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Melissa was in a recent Al Ewing comic, I think.
    Kurt Busiek, actually. She cameoed in The Marvels.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Yeah, that was a screw up on Roy Thomas' part. Hawkeye's ongoing solo feature in AVENGERS SPOTLIGHT specifically addressed them working through their issues (including seeing a marriage counselor at one point), and the two of them repairing their relationship. Byrne also showed them reuniting and being a couple again. Then Roy Thomas took over the book and had Clint leave Bobbi with the Great Lakes Avengers while he returned to active duty with the Whackos. He just had them suddenly estranged again for no given reason....and then ultimately put them back together again himself!

I assume he just decided it was more interesting for character drama to have them as a bickering estranged couple -- but it was rather surprising and annoying to see them suddenly back to that while Clint's solo book was showing them happily together again.
    While I LOVE Thomas and Ross' run in the West Coast Avengers (it's my favorite, followed by Byrne's and then Englehart's), I really didn't like the treatment he gave Hawkeye in his run. He basically negated all the character growth and development Hawk got under Stern and Englehart (IMHO, Byrne didn't go ahead with this natural development, however, he didn't necessarily regress Clint), seemingly returning him to the point he left the character when Thomas himself stopped writing the Avengers' book. Instead of the competent leader, Hawk once again was the imature, short tempered troublemaker. I thought it was a shame.

Peace

Another great issue. Really enjoyed this one and the reveal of the villain explains a lot of the back drop moments of doubt put throughout the story so it was really weaved together well. The art was really good here too. Some of my fave panels.

nightofthelivingskrulls.jpg
    quitethegroup.jpg
    abouttogodown.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

This team has potential.

The last page says the team will still exist... but I assume Monica has quit, since she isn't even in New York in her new solo?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The last page says the team will still exist... but I assume Monica has quit, since she isn't even in New York in her new solo?
    Why would she need to be in New York?

Jumping around the planet is something she's done since the beginning

I don’t know how I feel about the mini ending. It was ok I guess but like, I felt like so much of it went nowhere??? What was the point of Gusten Glory again? I feel like I know nothing more about this character then when I started.

I'm just disappointed that Clint didn't tell Luke Cage that his yellow suits were awful. The end of the book when they were having a one on one conversation was the perfect time to do it.

I liked this book. There is room to grow here. Zub is a great writer but sometimes I think he came along at the worst possible time. I feel he would have fared so much better in the 80s or 90s. He sets things up with the expectation that the book won't be cancelled in a heartbeat and that the reader has an attention span
    Last edited by Anthony W; 12-29-2022 at 09:44 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Why would she need to be in New York?

Jumping around the planet is something she's done since the beginning
    Exactly. Case in point, she WAS in New York in the first issue of her solo -- she was just other places as well on other pages. During her original days as an active Avenger in the 80s she was based out of Avengers Mansion in New York but would go home to have dinner with her parents in New Orleans in the evenings...and in one issue was shown having lunch in Paris.

During Busiek's run she served on the Avengers asteroid base out in space--but unlike Quasar and Living Lightning she continued to live on Earth and just commuted out to the base when on duty.

With Nightmare being revealed to have been behind America Chavez' recent power fluctuations, could it also be used to retcon away her latest origin story and say it was all literally a bad dream? America did see two versions of her moms in Nightmare's illusions in this last issue (the original other dimensional super heroes and the recent human doctors).
    Last edited by nightw1ng; 12-30-2022 at 02:11 AM.

Can't explain the sister that way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Can't explain the sister that way.
    LMD. Or a creature Nightmare created in his realm, and then used America's powers to bring into her world, without her knowing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    With Nightmare being revealed to have been behind America Chavez' recent power fluctuations, could it also be used to retcon away her latest origin story and say it was all literally a bad dream? America did see two versions of her moms in Nightmare's illusions in this last issue (the original other dimensional super heroes and the recent human doctors).
    Nope...considering that I have to put up with this guy on Captain America completely retconing Steve's and Bucky's origins to be all part of the century long global conspiracy story he is telling you have to have America Chavez be from 616 with mothers who were not all that altruistic.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    With Nightmare being revealed to have been behind America Chavez' recent power fluctuations, could it also be used to retcon away her latest origin story and say it was all literally a bad dream?
    I hope not. The latest origin story was actually good. I remember reading it and being shocked that it wasn't trash and then being blown away by the fact that it was good. Vasquez and Gomez knocked it out of the park. For all intents and purposes they saved the characters reputation.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

You mean after her other solo book, with it's "holy menstruation" line? Did I get that right?