Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I always was under the assumption that Magic in the Marvel universe is bestowed, acquired, studied or inherently passed down. Some people have a greater affinity than others. Most have no affinity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Or does there have to be some outside factor, like studying/getting a magical artifact/a magical parent of some kind?
    fandom.com/wiki/Jonathon_White_(Earth-616)

Fantastic Member

I remember early in Astonishing X-men #3 as part of brewing student tensions over the cure, Emma offhandedly mentions Logan having to break up a "mystical swordfight". The line was neat to me just for the implication of that being somewhat common.
    Last edited by Rising7; 02-10-2022 at 10:47 PM.

Mighty Member

Magic's kinda a catch all.

There's innate talent, learned ability, heritage and bestowment.

All can play a factor.

Wanda was the best example, but yeah she's not a mutant any more.

Like others have said or implied, magical abilities is something either learned or something you're born with affinity for via a means other than the X-gene. However, certain mutant abilities can make it easier to use magic.
    - Magik's teleportation discs give her a connection to the dimension of Limbo
    - Rictor's connection to the earth allowed him to learn druid magic.
    - Sapna (a forgotten mutant from the Extraordinary X-Men days) had an omnilingual ability that allowed her to absorb the magical knowledge of Limbo.
    - Eye Boy I think can see magical energies, although I don't think he can use them (yet).
    - Prodigy is supposed to have absorbed Dr. Strange's knowledge, but I don't think he's ever actually used magic.

I've always thought Cypher's ability to learn any language would allow him to master magic as well. His ability was always thought to be a useless power, but it actually makes him extremely versatile. It not only allowed him to master computer language as a hacker (basically a modern day version of a magician), but he also became an expert fighter during the Necrosha event because he could read body language (although that was quickly forgotten about apparently).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    This is my interpretation of OP as well, and while never officially confirmed, its long been suggested that the External Garbha-Hsien aka Saul, actually has the mutant power to manipulate magical energies.
    It makes sense that such a thing could happen. We've got mutants with powers to affect technology, for instance.

It might be amusing to see what sort of kittens are had if a mutant develops a power related to Terragenesis, or some other adjacent power-source in the Marvel Universe, like a power specifically relating to the Infinity Stones, or to Asgard, or to vibranium (I think there is one of those latter...).

Now that would be a funky crossing of the streams, if someday Roberto finds out that one of the many ladies he spent time with in those months on Asgard had a little brown mutant Asgardian kid, who has inherited some goodies from both sides of the family tree...

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    In the MU while some people are born with a greater affinity for magic, anyone can master magic through study and training. That's why Coven Abbaka see themselves as superior to mutants, they didn't gain there powers of a genetic accident, but through hard work and sacrifice.
    The fact is that nothing prevent a mutant to do the same. Is always this paradoxical thought that I thinking mutants non human assume that thing a human can do are precluded to mutants, while is definitely not.
    Oddly enough even mutants seem to buy into this logic at times.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Like others have said or implied, magical abilities is something either learned or something you're born with affinity for via a means other than the X-gene. However, certain mutant abilities can make it easier to use magic.
    - Sapna (a forgotten mutant from the Extraordinary X-Men days) had an omnilingual ability that allowed her to absorb the magical knowledge of Limbo.
    - Eye Boy I think can see magical energies, although I don't think he can use them (yet).
    - Prodigy is supposed to have absorbed Dr. Strange's knowledge, but I don't think he's ever actually used magic.

I've always thought Cypher's ability to learn any language would allow him to master magic as well. His ability was always thought to be a useless power, but it actually makes him extremely versatile. It not only allowed him to master computer language as a hacker (basically a modern day version of a magician), but he also became an expert fighter during the Necrosha event because he could read body language (although that was quickly forgotten about apparently).
    Doug's one attempt to translate a magic spell resulted in him sending the New Mutants to the wrong hell.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no fear, there is power.
    I am the heart of the Force.
    I am the revealing fire of light.
    I am the mystery of darkness.
    In balance with chaos and harmony,
    Immortal in the Force.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Can mutants get magical abilities as a power?
    The simple answer is yes.

Magic is a fundamental force in the Marvel Universe, no different than electromagnetism, psionic energy, cosmic energy, etc., in that respect. It permeates everything. There are entire dimensions comprised of nothing but magical energy. There are also sentient creatures that are comprised of it. And there are already plenty of characters who make use of the universal forces that make up ambient mystical energy.

So it stands to reason, if other mutants can have powers rooted in the primordial and elemental forces that shape the multiverse -- even if only as conduits -- then it's practically a given that a mutant whose powers wholly encompass magical force and/or energy could exist.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-11-2022 at 08:23 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post

This. None of these mutants primary mutations is magic or technically magical. They all learned magic through the primary powerset, or was forced to learn magic. Are there mutants at the Strange Academy?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    This. None of these mutants primary mutations is magic or technically magical. They all learned magic through the primary powerset, or was forced to learn magic. Are there mutants at the Strange Academy?
    Give it time. I bet some genius writer will happen along to establish that Doyle Dormammu is a Faltine-mutant hybrid. Or maybe just a Faltine mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I think what the OP is asking is if a mutant can manifest magic as their mutant ability. Which, as far as I'm aware, has never happened before. Every mutant that uses magic that I know of developed magic as a separate skill from their mutant abilities. Although in the case of Wanda there were some retcons to her mutant ability that made it more connected to magic, and of course they later decided she wasn't a mutant at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    This is my interpretation of OP as well, and while never officially confirmed, its long been suggested that the External Garbha-Hsien aka Saul, actually has the mutant power to manipulate magical energies.
    Yeah that was my question.
    Thanks you guys, (and everyone else) for the responses.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

So, ah, hey there...

I was trying to remember Emplate's backstory. He seems to be able to do magic without ever having had a teacher... was it maybe from his mother's side?

Then I remembered Claudette and Nicole St. Croix. Weren't their abilities mainly magical -- like when they banished Emplate to a pocket dimension? Of course, I also seem to recall Gateway was their mentor at some point, but... is Gateway magical?

Anyway, all of this would require more of a deep dive knowledge than I'm capable of, just wanted to bring it up. ;D
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    So, ah, hey there...

I was trying to remember Emplate's backstory. He seems to be able to do magic without ever having had a teacher... was it maybe from his mother's side?

Then I remembered Claudette and Nicole St. Croix. Weren't their abilities mainly magical -- like when they banished Emplate to a pocket dimension? Of course, I also seem to recall Gateway was their mentor at some point, but... is Gateway magical?

Anyway, all of this would require more of a deep dive knowledge than I'm capable of, just wanted to bring it up. ;D
    Is it magic, or just really weird super-powers? Which kinda gets into the same thing with Wanda.....

Then again there's that old quote from David Xanatos: "Energy is energy, it doesn't matter if the source is technology or magic."

WHAT is magic? Is it just manipulating nature using different methods or... something else?

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Is it magic, or just really weird super-powers? Which kinda gets into the same thing with Wanda.....

Then again there's that old quote from David Xanatos: "Energy is energy, it doesn't matter if the source is technology or magic."

WHAT is magic? Is it just manipulating nature using different methods or... something else?
    Lolol, I just don't know.

Deep questions, man.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007