Default How works the Marvel Multiverse mechanics?

Recently I started to follow New Avengers. I really like the alternate universe stories, parallel universes, alternate continuities et al. Exiles, AoA, Captain Britain Corps, 1602, Earth X saga, What if collections. Count me in. And I'm really loving these times by the way.
    I not consider myself a continuity obsessive fan, but I had a doubt than sparked when I was reading the last issue of New Avengers: essentially the Marvel multiverse is a collection of What if universes, right?: What if AoA don't finished; what if Spider-man joined the 4F, what if the daughter of Spider-man would had grow, what if House of M would had continued and so on. I'm mistaken?
    That's mean than in the Marvel Universe, the new Universes are constantly born for every thing than happens (or not) in the main continuity. That's mean than for every triumph, there is a failure and vice versa? Or the worlds are build under random circunstances?
    Ok, I understand than always depends of the writers' whim in the end, but I want to know if there is some in-continuity rules to explain the constant birthing of new realities.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Mighty Member

Hickman seems to be following the Everett interpretation of quantum mechanics, in that everything that is physically possible happens somewhere, leading to an infinite number of universes. I believe Reed more or less confirmed that in dialogue from one of the first few New Avengers issues.

Well I believe every Universe can create other universes like Main Marvel (616) and Ultimate Universe (1610) are different on most things

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Hickman seems to be following the Everett interpretation of quantum mechanics, in that everything that is physically possible happens somewhere, leading to an infinite number of universes. I believe Reed more or less confirmed that in dialogue from one of the first few New Avengers issues.
    And that's the problem. If there is a 616 where there is an incursion, then, spontaneously a 616 where there is no incursion appears?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    And that's the problem. If there is a 616 where there is an incursion, then, spontaneously a 616 where there is no incursion appears?
    Not quite. The conceit of the story is that the multiverse, which was finite in life anyway, is collapsing on itself. We, therefore, have to assume that its infinitely expanding nature is going in the other direction now.

Actually, we don't even really have to assume it since that's what Reed's diagram showed.

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    Not quite. The conceit of the story is that the multiverse, which was finite in life anyway, is collapsing on itself. We, therefore, have to assume that its infinitely expanding nature is going in the other direction now.

Actually, we don't even really have to assume it since that's what Reed's diagram showed.
    I must to re-read those.
    That's mean no more What if stories? And which role have the Spider-verse in this situation? I mean with Spider-verse, there is an Spock from another universe recruiting Spider-men and fighting Morlun. But the Illuminatti of that world are made exactly the same thing? Because from what I could read, looks like the only difference between both earths is than in one Spock still is Spider-man and in 616, Peter returned.

It depends on how the incursion storyline is resolved.

That said, I really doubt that Marvel would let one story dictate publishing strategy. Even if the incursion storyline ends with every other universe in the multiverse destroyed (which seems unlikely, but just for the sake of argument), that's not going to stop Marvel from making out-of continuity comics and doing all the other things that are related to alternate Marvel universes. Look at DC's Crisis. Even after destroying "infinite" earths and leaving one consolidated continuity, there was still space for Elseworlds and various workarounds to bring in alternate versions of characters where necessary.

Actually the SpOck in Spider-Verse was the 616 version, just during a period where he disappeared from the present in SSM #19
    I surrender to the Contest

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post

Could this be Marvel's version of a Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Yeah Hickman use quantum mechanics idea mainly, this is Nr.3 from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywn2Lz5zmYg

The idea isn't so wrong he shows, when time progress some decisions will end up in the same result and at end when the universe collapse and implode to one point again all time lines will rejoin into one again. The problem is in his idea he made some universes implode much too early which would more expect from the bubble universe idea(which authors often mix in Marvel), the same goes for the overlapping of the universes where on earth moves to another, again something you would expect the bubble universe idea not from the quantum mechanics multiverse idea.

Hickman's idea how those incursions happened is I think implied by the idea of the authors of MU that earth is the center of the universe(which is so as would I say the earth is a disc) and so it is connected to the other earths across the multiverse. Destroying the earth or moving it away would cause a disconnect from the axis of the multiverse .....theoretically.

On a incursion you could also beam the whole planet a few hours into the future to avoid a collision.....theoretically.
    I say theoretically all the time because it depend on the author not on science.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Could this be Marvel's version of a Crisis on Infinite Earths?
    Plus Identity Crisis plus Civil War. It's really a interesting story, but is becoming too tangled. I hope the resolution will be not abrupt.
    But I really want to see when Thanos meet the Thanos of Other Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by TakoM View Post
    Yeah Hickman use quantum mechanics idea mainly, this is Nr.3 from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywn2Lz5zmYg

The idea isn't so wrong he shows, when time progress some decisions will end up in the same result and at end when the universe collapse and implode to one point again all time lines will rejoin into one again. The problem is in his idea he made some universes implode much too early which would more expect from the bubble universe idea(which authors often mix in Marvel), the same goes for the overlapping of the universes where on earth moves to another, again something you would expect the bubble universe idea not from the quantum mechanics multiverse idea.

Hickman's idea how those incursions happened is I think implied by the idea of the authors of MU that earth is the center of the universe(which is so as would I say the earth is a disc) and so it is connected to the other earths across the multiverse. Destroying the earth or moving it away would cause a disconnect from the axis of the multiverse .....theoretically.

On a incursion you could also beam the whole planet a few hours into the future to avoid a collision.....theoretically.
    I say theoretically all the time because it depend on the author not on science.
    Great video TakoM. You are right, in the end depends on Hickman's will.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-31-2014 at 11:57 AM.