Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Default Which DC sidekick has main character energy?

DC official Twitter asked

Most of the answers are either non sidekick or hasn't been a sidekick for a long time and already a main character of their own book, like Wally (big Wally not small Wally)

DC official Superman twitter answered Jon, and the comments immediately jumped in that apparently DC themselves admitted that he's just a sidekick

At the very least the DC official twitter is kind enough to question if Harley and Nightwing count

Then there's one reply to a vote of Jaime Reyes saying he's a main character with sidekick energy

So what's your answer?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Most of the answers are either non sidekick or hasn't been a sidekick for a long time and already a main character of their own book, like Wally (big Wally not small Wally)

DC official Superman twitter answered Jon, and the comments immediately jumped in that apparently DC themselves admitted that he's just a sidekick

At the very least the DC official twitter is kind enough to question if Harley and Nightwing count

Then there's one reply to a vote of Jaime Reyes saying he's a main character with sidekick energy

So what's your answer?
    Link to that twitter page? I have an unconventional answer in mind.

Conner kent /kon-el, you talking about energy, big energy
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

So what's your answer?
    He was pre-age up. The Titans didn't even want the poor kid. Damian was the only aye among a bunch of nays when they voted.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Link to that twitter page? I have an unconventional answer in mind.
    https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1547259346643431424

Astonishing Member

Thanks!

The question's premise is a but limiting, DC has lots of characters who aren't sidekicks that could be main characters.

Obviously Damien. If you called him a sidekick he’d probably kill you.

Damian is the only one currently I think fits. His story is intriguing enough to stand on its own, being a sidekick just adds to it.

Dick and Wally would be cheating but I do think even as Robin, Dick was fairly interesting especially when with the Titans.

I think most sidekicks, even the ones that aren't, simply can't or haven't carried their own material well enough. Yeah, there's Conner (not much of a sidekick), Tim (long-standing solo but when sitting next to the others I honestly think he pokes out as the least immediately interesting), or Bart (who was never one either).

Cassie Sandsmark has some potential but the attention has been off her so long and the post-One Year Later material didn't do her much justice. Yara Flor doesn't count doesn't the mantle but I would say her too.

Duke Thomas could be with the right people behind him. A day protector in Gotham at least shys away from the Batfamily norm.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Harper Row - Bluebird
    Goliath - Damian Wayne's Big Red Flying Companion
    Raquel Ervin - Rocket

Damian, Tim, Barbara, Steph, Cass, Jason, and Dick are in books right now. The Ghost will have his Batman Inc. debut soon. Huntress, Batwing, Batwoman, Talon, Azrael, and The Signal have all had ongoings or mini's in the past. It's really time to give Bluebird her own ongoing or mini. Am I missing any important bat-people? Maybe not important but I'm sure to have missed a few.

Are there any sidekicks working with an adult hero right now? Besides Tim?

I do feel like there are plenty of teen, young, or amateur heroes that deserve the spotlight but that wasn't the question.

I think any character with the right premise, creative team, and focus.

Harper Row vs Punchline I feel would be very successful as a Webtoon, I mean, they're basically characters designed for the current, internet generation. Harper is very Tumblr, for one.

I've never seen Rocket in comics so I don't even know she's a sidekick

I know that DC already tried it, but I still believe there's potential...

Carrie Kelley

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-14-2022 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by a moment closer View Post
    Harper Row - Bluebird
    Are there any sidekicks working with an adult hero right now? Besides Tim?
    I think Flash has his sidekicks at least occasionally working with him in his book, Teen-Lantern was at least in the last Green Lantern book, and Jackson Hyde shares currently a book with Aquaman.

Donna Troy: she's rarely headlined an ongoing but she has elements of it going for her.

Connor Kent: a lot of what they are doing with Jon is what I wish they were doing with Connor Kent instead. Have him be the new Superman and give him a boyfriend.

Roy Harper: since he rarely headlines an ongoing but I think he is unique enough from Ollie that he can hold his own.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Donna Troy: she's rarely headlined an ongoing but she has elements of it going for her.

Connor Kent: a lot of what they are doing with Jon is what I wish they were doing with Connor Kent instead. Have him be the new Superman and give him a boyfriend.

Roy Harper: since he rarely headlines an ongoing but I think he is unique enough from Ollie that he can hold his own.
    I don't think that you can really call Characters like Donna, Conner and Roy still sidekicks.

Donna and Conner where afaik never really classic sidekicks to begin with and, and Roy hasn't been Ollies sidekick since the early 70s.