Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    From the 1977 DC Calendar. Art by Joe Kubert.

Attachment 121223
    What I wouldn't give for a DC calendar with art like this .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What I wouldn't give for a DC calendar with art like this .
    I found the 1976 calendar at a record shop in my local mall and asked for it as Christmas gift. Still have it! It has a lot of Neal Adams illustrations including a brilliant Bronze Age Legion shot that recalls Adams' cover of Superman 252. Dick Giornado provided illustrations for some of the other months including one with Hawkgirl, Supergirl, Mary Marvel and Lois Lane.

I would have purchased that 1977 calendar I found it. I do recall you could mail-order it. I had never seen that Kubert/Hawks illustration, but after a Google search led me to pics of the rest of the calendar, I daresay it was the best of the lot. Even better than the Neal Adams shot of Spectre and Deadman facing off against stone giants on Easter Island.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I found the 1976 calendar at a record shop in my local mall and asked for it as Christmas gift. Still have it! It has a lot of Neal Adams illustrations including a brilliant Bronze Age Legion shot that recalls Adams' cover of Superman 252. Dick Giornado provided illustrations for some of the other months including one with Hawkgirl, Supergirl, Mary Marvel and Lois Lane.

I would have purchased that 1977 calendar I found it. I do recall you could mail-order it. I had never seen that Kubert/Hawks illustration, but after a Google search led me to pics of the rest of the calendar, I daresay it was the best of the lot. Even better than the Neal Adams shot of Spectre and Deadman facing off against stone giants on Easter Island.
    Sounds like it would be awesome to own one...

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

House ad for The Shadow War of Hawkman. I believe Richard Howell did the art.

ShadowWarHawkman.jpg

ShadowWarHawkman.jpg
    That's a killer tagline .

Astonishing Member

ShadowWarHawkman.jpg
    Howell with Alfredo Alcala as inker. Howell went on to draw the regular, short-lived ongoing. Alacala didn't particpate that time-- and the art suffered for it. This was a post-Crisis series, but they still managed to muck things with Hawkword set in present time.

. . . This was a post-Crisis series, but they still managed to muck things with Hawkword set in present time.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that.
    * Shadow War of Hawkman came out in January-April of 1985, and Crisis on Infinite Earths had issue #1 (of 12) released in December 1984.
    * After the Shadow War of Hawkman four-issue series, there was a Hawkman Special and a seventeen-issue Hawkman series.
    * The three-issue Hawkworld "Prestige Format" series by Timothy Truman came out in 1989.

So Shadow War of Hawkman itself came out during Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

ShadowWarHawkman.jpg
    It's a rare treat when Carter (or Katar, as in this instance) gets love from editorial. As far as 80s ads for comics go, that's a great one.

Hoping we see Hawkman fly again soon.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's a rare treat when Carter (or Katar, as in this instance) gets love from editorial. As far as 80s ads for comics go, that's a great one.

Hoping we see Hawkman fly again soon.
    It would be kind of surreal to see Carter and Shayera mourn Kendra...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It would be kind of surreal to see Carter and Shayera mourn Kendra...
    Bring Venditti back for a Dark Crisis: Hawkman special!
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

ShadowWarHawkman.jpg
    Howell with Alfredo Alcala as inker. Howell went on to draw the regular, short-lived ongoing. Alacala didn't particpate that time-- and the art suffered for it. This was a post-Crisis series, but they still managed to muck things with Hawkword set in present time.
    Yeah, Alcala really made all the difference. Howell without him was kind of cartoony. Didn't fit the character. I did like some of Howell's fill-in work on All-Star Squadron (#27-28 for instance), liked his inks in issues 36,37 (so much so, that i wish they'd put him as Arvell Jones regular inker), and hated others (#40, with inks by Bill Collins. He worked so well with Horberg, not so much with Howell). After that, never warmed up to his style again.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 05-30-2022 at 09:06 AM.

ShadowWarHawkman.jpg
    Nice find. I hope that with Hawkman's upcoming appearance in Black Adam that DC features him somewhat more. An ongoing is ideal, but a mini or some guest appearances would be nice too.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Nice find. I hope that with Hawkman's upcoming appearance in Black Adam that DC features him somewhat more. An ongoing is ideal, but a mini or some guest appearances would be nice too.
    Maybe then we'll finally get a JSA book .

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Richard Howell House Ad for the 1986 HAWKMAN series.

HawkmanAd.jpg

Incredible Member