Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Lightbulb THE HOBBIT: Graphic Novel by Chuck Dixon - Opinions?

So, to those that read it, what are your feelings on it? The art and the writing? Or even those who haven't read it? Do you think it should have become a graphic novel?

I love David Wenzel's painted art. It captures the spirit and tone of the Hobbit perfectly. I am less enamored of Chuck Dixon's adaptation, but it's solid if not spectacular. I remember the wonder of discovering the first issue on a Walden Books spinner rack when it came out in '89 when I was at university. At the time, it was so rare to find Tolkien merch outside of the books themselves and the Middle Earth Role Playing game from ICE that I was elated simply to have found it. I was familiar with Dave Wenzel's line art in comics form when he took over on Avengers for George Perez in the late 70s, but was not a fan, but was so pleasantly surprised by his painted artwork here. It's the same style he later used on The Wizard's Tale with Kurt Busiek, and I became a big fan of his stuff because of this book. So for me, it's worth it just for Wenzel's art alone.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I love David Wenzel's painted art. It captures the spirit and tone of the Hobbit perfectly. I am less enamored of Chuck Dixon's adaptation, but it's solid if not spectacular. I remember the wonder of discovering the first issue on a Walden Books spinner rack when it came out in '89 when I was at university. At the time, it was so rare to find Tolkien merch outside of the books themselves and the Middle Earth Role Playing game from ICE that I was elated simply to have found it. I was familiar with Dave Wenzel's line art in comics form when he took over on Avengers for George Perez in the late 70s, but was not a fan, but was so pleasantly surprised by his painted artwork here. It's the same style he later used on The Wizard's Tale with Kurt Busiek, and I became a big fan of his stuff because of this book. So for me, it's worth it just for Wenzel's art alone.

-M
    Thaaank yoouuu! David Wenzel's painted art is gorgeous from the cover, good the interiors are just us good. I think I remember him doing pencils for Thor or unless their art looked similar. I am glad you think the adaptation is solid even if it didn't blow you away as a whole. I agree there should be more Tolkien merch. I think I may get this since you seem to think its worth buying.

If you dig Wenzel's painted fantasy art, you should try to track down this comic from Comico from '91 just after he did the Hobbit...

The Kingdom of the Dwarves

It's more an illustrated prose product than an actual comic, but it's got gorgeous painted artwork from Wenzel.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 02-24-2022 at 09:11 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    If you dig Wenzel's painted fantasy art, you should try to track done this comic from Comico from '91 just after he did the Hobbit...

The Kingdom of the Dwarves

It's more an illustrated prose product than an actual comic, but it's got gorgeous painted artwork from Wenzel.

-M
    Thank you. That guy is a master.