View Poll Results: Are you expecting DARK CRISIS to be a fun read?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it's going to be a dreadful bore.

33 48.53%
  • Yeah, it's going to be a gas!

35 51.47%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I like that it is an event that's not about changing everything but exploring what has already been there not only for the last year but for decades. Whether the spotlight stays on certain characters or not I don't care, what's important to me is that they get their chance to shine.

The Legacy aspect and the focus on character relations have me most excited.

I love Sampere's art, so I have nothing to worry about there. I just hope Williamson delivers what he has been teasing. A character-driven story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Anyone remember when characters actually had lives that involved more than cosmic threats?
    Yes and I miss that.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Williamson already stated it's not going to retcon or change anything about the continuity, so people complaining about that in this thread are very misinformed. Sad! Complain that Conner Kent is still Superboy!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Been reading the announcement and I see nothing about retcon or changing things or claiming that it will be permanent
    The main promise there is to celebrate legacy characters
    Also about the death... They straight up said one of the goal is to find the lost justice league so they're not even pretending they're dead except for the lead up being called Death

I like the villains lineup and I like that... Unlike 5g only using 5g characters the covers imply they're using every legacy generation. There's still gonna be some characters that are more main characters than the others such as Jon, but unlike No Justice where straight from the cover and team reveal deliberately skipping Titans, this one the covers include every generation

I can't say I'm actually excited but I'm more excited for this than any previous events

Also bonus point for not having Harley for once. She's been everywhere the past few years it's actually nice that they can actually focus on what they promise which is legacy heroes

At best, I think it's going to be okay.

Like O'Brian Tallent said, can someone at DC write an event that doesn't involve shock deaths?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    For all its many faults, Metal and Death Metal were always fun. I expect Dark Crisis will deliver enough thrills to make it worth the ride.

I am, however, hoping for a more satisfying conclusion than what Death Metal got.
    Batman playing bass guitar and Superman singing wasn't satisfying enough?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    So for me, there is no finality to any of this crap. we all know the best heroes DC has to offer are not going to stay dead. This is all just a cash grab and it probably won't have any lasting consequences
    Does anything have lasting consequences at DC anymore? One mostly just has to enjoy any individual story as is without expecting any repercussions.(especially in an "event" comic) The fact that there's a big event not centered on the Trinity already has me interested.

There are little to no lasting consequences in modern comics anymore since the characters they usually choose to kill off are either popular with established fanbase and it makes no business sense to keep them on the shelf for an extended period of time, or there are plans for adaptations so it's not practical to take them out in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    There are little to no lasting consequences in modern comics anymore since the characters they usually choose to kill off are either popular with established fanbase and it makes no business sense to keep them on the shelf for an extended period of time, or there are plans for adaptations so it's not practical to take them out in the comics.
    Ive never understood this attitude.

Like Jack Nicholson's joker dies and returns multiple times later. Doesnt take away the impact in b89.

Danny Devito's penguin dies in Returns and is now back in The Batman with Colin's take.

BALES batman retires in Rises and was back later as Affleck...

I just dont see how one creative teams has to so dramatically effect anothers...

Would you have been happy to see Doomsday kill Superman in 92 and have superman off the table for 20 years?

No main stay characters fans want that.

Each iteration. Eacb era. Each period in comics is its own path of stories.

When a character dies ... like wonder womans sacrifice in Death Metal. The power of imagination and suspension of disbelief allows me to enjoy that story as its own thing. Regardless of her presents in other stories or in past stories or her obvious return in future stories.

Its not that hard to parse things.

Same reason Batman and Robin can be in the same quadtrilogy as B89 and B89 isnt a lesser film simply because I hate B&R.

Its not that hard to ignore. Or seperate creative visions for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Ive never understood this attitude.

Like Jack Nicholson's joker dies and returns multiple times later. Doesnt take away the impact in b89.

Danny Devito's penguin dies in Returns and is now back in The Batman with Colin's take.

BALES batman retires in Rises and was back later as Affleck...

I just dont see how one creative teams has to so dramatically effect anothers...

Would you have been happy to see Doomsday kill Superman in 92 and have superman off the table for 20 years?

No main stay characters fans want that.

Each iteration. Eacb era. Each period in comics is its own path of stories.

When a character dies ... like wonder womans sacrifice in Death Metal. The power of imagination and suspension of disbelief allows me to enjoy that story as its own thing. Regardless of her presents in other stories or in past stories or her obvious return in future stories.

Its not that hard to parse things.

Same reason Batman and Robin can be in the same quadtrilogy as B89 and B89 isnt a lesser film simply because I hate B&R.

Its not that hard to ignore. Or seperate creative visions for me.
    It's an attitude towards the nature of corporate characters. Noone says those "deaths" can't be impactful or that you can't suspend your disbelief, whether it's in the comics or adaptations, the point is that as long as those characters make money they're not going to be tossed aside for good. I'm perfectly capable of enjoying a well-written story that ends with a major death while still knowing that this death likely isn't going to stick around that long. I don't see myself as being too cynical about having that mindset, it's just the nature of the characters who have been around for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Does anything have lasting consequences at DC anymore? One mostly just has to enjoy any individual story as is without expecting any repercussions.(especially in an "event" comic) The fact that there's a big event not centered on the Trinity already has me interested.
    yeah, things should have lasting consequences. Stories should build off of one another, that's how things are supposed to work. The dark Phoenix saga had a lasting impact and still does with Cyclops and Jean to this day. That matters

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    yeah, things should have lasting consequences. Stories should build off of one another, that's how things are supposed to work. The dark Phoenix saga had a lasting impact and still does with Cyclops and Jean to this day. That matters
    There are loads of changes from coie onward that are lasting or lasted decades. Barry or Hal are obvious ones. Effects to the legion or jsa, some changes last a year or 2 others last many years and others decades.

But people find ways to complain about changes last to long or not long enough.

You'll never please everyone.

We are in the middle of a perpetual crisis since Rebirth. And to be franc all of them kind of suck

Hard pass for me.

Absolutely nothing about this story seems appealing. I've seen the Justice League get ripped to pieces already in DCeased and the animated Apokolips War (both sucked).
    Their being defeated by the Dark Multiverse was the premise of the last big event which was less than a year ago. Don't need to see it again.
    I've seen "Can the young heroes succeed where their mentors have failed?" plot done dozens of times and I'm really tired of it.
    I have not one f*** to give about DC's cosmic gobbledy-gook with the Hand and the Source and the Darkness and all the other bollocks.
    And I'm beyond done with the ever escalating Crises. I just don't care anymore.

Having nothing to look forward to based on its own merits, I'm left to look at this as simply a Wonder Woman fan. So I ask the same question I always do regarding any DC crossover story: "Is she in it, and if she is, what's her role?"
    And we already know the answer: she dies horribly before the story even starts along with all the other losers in the Justice League.

Experience dictates that when she comes back she will proceed to do...absolutely nothing of value or relevance. We were thrown a bone in Death Metal, but now it's back to business as usual with Diana being superfluous, inconsequential, and quickly brushed aside.
    I'm sure her return from the dead or wherever will make a pretty splash page at least.

The only good thing I can say about this claptrap is at least it's apparently going to be self-contained and not affect the solo books. So I can continue reading Wonder Woman's individual comic and pretend this crap isn't happening.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 02-13-2022 at 12:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

The one thing I am curious about with this event is whether they do go through with bringing back the Pre-COIE Multiverse/continuity in some form. It seems that on some level DC has been constantly working towards this for the last 15-20 years, since at least Infinite Crisis...I wonder if this is where they finally bite the bullet!