Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Rocketeer: The Great Race - 4-issue series from IDW starting in April 2022

From IDW's website:
    The Rocketeer: The Great Race Comic Book Celebrates the 40th Anniversary of the High-Flying Adventurer

“Rocketeer Month” Honors the Legacy of Rocketeer Creator Dave Stevens with Brand-New Miniseries and Encore Printing of The Rocketeer Artist’s Edition

SAN DIEGO, CA (January 20, 2022) – This April, IDW invites pulp adventure fans on a trans-Atlantic journey in The Rocketeer: The Great Race! A brand-new four-issue comic book miniseries commemorating 40 years of Dave Stevens’ iconic hero, The Great Race soars to stratospheric storytelling heights courtesy of New York Times bestselling writer/artist Stephen Mooney!
    “Writing and drawing a Rocketeer book has long been somewhat of a bucket-list item for me. I grew up on Dave Stevens' unique blend of swashbuckling derring-do and pulpy adventure with Cliff, Betty, and Peevy, and those seminal issues still stand today as one of my favorite series of all time,” says Mooney. “It's incredibly daunting and yet also fantastically thrilling and a real challenge. Let's take to the skies!”
    In The Great Race, stunt pilot Cliff Secord returns to a West Coast steeped in paranoia over the looming war in Europe. Having finally had enough of his near-death scrapes as the high-flying Rocketeer, the only thing in Cliff's crosshairs is a prestigious, winner-take-all air race that runs from California to France! Maybe it's finally time to smarten up and fly straight… by taking his best girl Betty to Paris! But other parties want to win the race for their own nefarious ends, and Cliff will need to decide which prize is truly the most valuable of all.
    As an additional bonus, each issue of The Rocketeer: The Great Race will contain an oral history featuring Dave Stevens’s friends, family, and fellow artists, all culled together by Kelvin Mao, the director of the forthcoming documentary on the beloved artist!
    You can read the rest of this here:

Also, there'll be a re-issue of Dave Stevens’ The Rocketeer Artist’s Edition.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

very much looking forward to this!

Sold!!!!!!!

I passed on IDW's last one (2015-2016's The Rocketeer at War) which was written by Marc Guggenheim and the concept sounded a bit off to me.

Since this new series sounds like it's more geared toward Cliff Secord's earlier era (1930s vs. 1940s) I'm hoping it will work better for me.

I haven't made it to the comic book shop yet for this month, but did anybody pick up issue #1 yet?

Was it any good?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I haven't made it to the comic book shop yet for this month, but did anybody pick up issue #1 yet?

Was it any good?
    It was pretty solid, it definitely felt like classic Rocketeer.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Looks good. I’ll wait for the collected edition, if there is one

Was it any good?
    Just read it -- it's mostly set-up, which is fine. There's a character who seems to be a bit of a Tesla/Hughes cross, which is in keeping with the usual stories. I think I'll have a better feel for it after the next issue - but if you like the Rocketeer give it a shot.

Was it any good?
    #1 was really exciting. #2 was less exciting... on the fence if I should get issue #3.

Strong art though

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    #1 was really exciting. #2 was less exciting... on the fence if I should get issue #3.

Strong art though
    Well, if you've already bought / read #1 and #2, and it's only a 4-issue series, might as well get #3 and #4 so you have the complete story.

I just saw this. I loved The Rocketeer Movie and pretty much everything that has to do with him. So I am looking forward to picking this up. But I am going to wait till all 4 issues are out so I can read them all at once.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Well, if you've already bought / read #1 and #2, and it's only a 4-issue series, might as well get #3 and #4 so you have the complete story.
    Yah true but I collect a lot, a lot of comics

If I finish every series I start including stuff I don't connect with I'd need 10 times more money and time.

Strong art though
    agreed. i'm hoping we see more Rocketeer in issues 3 & 4.

Yah true but I collect a lot, a lot of comics

If I finish every series I start including stuff I don't connect with I'd need 10 times more money and time.
    How many of those other series are only four issues long?

It's not like this is a six-or-eight issue run. You've already invested in half of it.

But, you've got to decide for yourself.

How many of those other series are only four issues long?

It's not like this is a six-or-eight issue run. You've already invested in half of it.

But, you've got to decide for yourself.
    I mean DC alone puts out a large number of 4ish issue minis.

I collect DC, Marvel, Image, Dynamite, and a host of other independent books... in fact it's my general rule that I try new books every week ... so I'm always starting a new series. The ones that excite me I finish. Great way to discover new material from across the DC, marvel and independent comics world.

The mini style format is really popular now adays more so over ongoings imo.

I just don't feel the need to complete every run I start.

In addition some runs I'll start and then after an issue or 2 decide to wait for the trade to complete.