Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Woof! If there’s one thing we can do in this thread, it is respond in novels. lol
    Anyway The Mash Potato got be feeling up enough to respond.

@Salemdelight: That hand warming bit was from Rosenberg’s run, right? I have such mixed feelings on that run. I honestly feel like he took a major hit to set things up for Hickman. But I know the artists might not have been too familiar with Chamber, considering the way he was drawn/shows to use his powers.

I also liked how he had a positive relationship with Roxie. It was nice to show that with his negative experience(s) Jono could reach out and help her. It was well done.

Oh man, I forgot about New Warriors. That was such a shame, that run. Like… I did not care for the characterizations… and it had potential, but what happened?! Yeah, that train wreck (or parts of it anyway) goes on the reading list too. lol

Yes! You get me! Like, it’s not a bad thing to admit you messed up! You don’t have to try to hide behind “diversity” especially when you have characters that you’re IGNORING right there! But yes, when I discovered Chamber, he meant a lot to me too for the same reason. Also I felt he was more real with his struggles. I know my mom struggled a lot with her disability, especially when people expected her to function like a fully abled person would. Sometimes it left her really upset, especially if people questioned it.

@ Starleafgirl: OMG! Get outta my head! XD I was planning (and am now in the process) of doing that. lol I think for Strain, it’s more the interpersonal communication between characters that is notable.

*Forever mourning Gage’s run*

Yes! That is my main problem! I at least would have liked to have a panel or two of Jono like, “You know what, you guys suck at helping students with physical changes. Let ME help them!” Because Hellion and No-Girl were also in his class, which is something I liked.

I can’t be too mad though, because we got Spurrier Jono and that was a treat! lol

I know, New Mutants has how many volumes? C’mon, Marvel! Give us another one with a good writer! T_T Please!! Bring the old team back together! I got your first arc read: Gen X gets back together to set things right with the OG Penance and she takes her rightful place in the mutant world! BAM! THERE YOU HAVE IT! If it can be accepted that Betsy’s initial change was a body swap thing, we can bring Penny back!

As for Jono parents… maybe he’s like that Goo Goo Dolls song:

I’m the fortunate son, of a fortunate son,
    Living large on the wrong side of town

Jono’s backstory is so interesting because we know so little of it.

It’s weird… because wasn’t Gayle a Lady…. Like legit.

So confusing… Jono would say they went skiing and he only got socks for Christmas. So maybe he was born into this weird cult… and his parents didn’t want kids….? Maybe Karma called and said he was dead and they were like, “Kay, don’t bother us again.”

I dunno if Jono was in a band… but we have the informed ability of guitar playing. Like… the only time that boy was shown playing a guitar was when everyone was on that LSD type trip in the middle of the ocean and Synce was like, “What’s that sound?” When Jono started singing.

As for his attitude, I kinda felt like he was a bit of a scrappy fellow. He seemed to enjoy hitting things. Also he was a bit more “mature” under Loebdell’s pen. But he was also older, so I think he was initially meant to be the surly older brother. Maybe he got away from that lifestyle and accidentally found his people, away from the upper society types.
    Last edited by Rufio; 02-19-2022 at 10:46 PM.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    @ Starleafgirl: OMG! Get outta my head! XD I was planning (and am now in the process) of doing that. lol I think for Strain, it’s more the interpersonal communication between characters that is notable.

*Forever mourning Gage’s run*
    But it's so comfortable in your head, I have a futon set up and everything! D:

Yeah, I liked everything about Professor Starsmore. ;D And Spurrier Jono had some nice moments, too!

I'm forever mad about how many volumes New Mutants gets vs. how many volumes Generation X has had. ;P I, too, pitched an idea of getting the band back together to retrieve Penny. It's really sad to me that no writer shows them even caring about the fact that she's MIA... I would've figured that reporter Mickey (from The Loners) would've contacted the X-Men at some point. Nowadays, it's as simple as Penny and Ricochet walking through a Krakoa gate and Ricochet explaining how they came to find "Hollow."

I mean, Wiz Kid is doing his thing over at S.W.O.R.D., so there's clearly a portal close to Avengers Academy (where Penance/Hollow was last seen with the Loners). :P

I agree with you, though: bring Penny back! And show the other GenXers happily reuniting with her!

As for Jono parents… maybe he’s like that Goo Goo Dolls song:

I’m the fortunate son, of a fortunate son,
    Living large on the wrong side of town

Jono’s backstory is so interesting because we know so little of it.

It’s weird… because wasn’t Gayle a Lady…. Like legit.
    I have no clue, but lol, if she was, maybe they were both rich kids who ended up on the wrong side of that song together. ;D

In my headcanon, the fact that he's part of Apocalypse's bloodline with that weird cult definitely has something to do with why his parents are so callous and indifferent when it comes to their own kid. Like... I guess they were just bad people to start with. :P So like you said, wanting to distance himself from them (and their lifestyle) would be why he fell into that crowd with the lower-rung folks with that accent.

But of course, I'd like to see the real canon backstory explained in a good way that makes sense at some point.

So according to what you said, maybe he was in a band, and maybe not, but he definitely plays guitar and sings, so it would be understandable to think he used to be in a band. ;D

And lol, I love responding in novels. XD

Oh no, I just got reminded of the New Warriors run's existence! I also agree it had potential, but geeeeeez was it ever a train wreck. The only two that came out looking halfway competent were Jubilee and Jono. And the giant fairy thing... why..... lol.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Lol essays it is. We get so few things about Jono in the comics we make up for it in words here.

@rufion it was Rosemburgs run. During the war of the realms where they're standing around in their knickers. Still won't forgive him for saying Jono was a hipster. Glad he got some team time and called Scott a tosser, no airs and graces that lad, but he didn't really get Jono. Man I hope Si gives him a good story, even if it's a small one.

New Warriors was such a bummer as we had an Apocalypse Jono and they never used that. I enjoyed his having Jubes' back and getting to show he's got brains. But damn it went nowhere and he was missing his snark.

@starleafgirlYeah he could have put on the accent for sure. There's a few British celebs who do that too, hiding that they're posh. But like them he would have been ripped to shreds by real Cockneys if he did. Working class Brits don't like when posh blokes pretend to be them. They would have respected him more for keeping his normal one I believe. But he may have picked it up naturally hanging around friends, Band mates and family who weren't posh. He's pretty much a true latchkey kid and who wants to stay in that unloving home for one second? Bet he wandered all over London as a kid to get away. And definitely ran in rough areas, what with him saying he's a pub brawler. But that's just my own thoughts and it's so cool how we all have different views on his mysterious past. I really hope someone gives us answers into that past (Si!) because he's a scrappy scruffy lad and doesn't seem to have had a normal life and that's a story worth telling. Being tattooed when young, parents ignoring him, being told weird Cult stories. What a weird family to come from.

Lady Gale was proper posh even had a Mansion. It was shown in the follow up book to AOA, Emplate goes to see her about their mutual friend. I think it was mentioned he was in a band in the Annual where he blew himself up, said something about being a stage musician. He also mentioned his time in his band in the Gen X novel that was based on, but then he was Scottish in that one bizarrely. So I ignore that.

I guess we Chamber fans, get thrown a bone and we take it run. Ergo, essays and novels

Also, do go on about British culture. This is fascinating for someone who has only know west Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    But it's so comfortable in your head, I have a futon set up and everything! D:

Yeah, I liked everything about Professor Starsmore. ;D And Spurrier Jono had some nice moments, too!

I'm forever mad about how many volumes New Mutants gets vs. how many volumes Generation X has had. ;P I, too, pitched an idea of getting the band back together to retrieve Penny. It's really sad to me that no writer shows them even caring about the fact that she's MIA... I would've figured that reporter Mickey (from The Loners) would've contacted the X-Men at some point. Nowadays, it's as simple as Penny and Ricochet walking through a Krakoa gate and Ricochet explaining how they came to find "Hollow."

I mean, Wiz Kid is doing his thing over at S.W.O.R.D., so there's clearly a portal close to Avengers Academy (where Penance/Hollow was last seen with the Loners). :P

I agree with you, though: bring Penny back! And show the other GenXers happily reuniting with her!

I have no clue, but lol, if she was, maybe they were both rich kids who ended up on the wrong side of that song together. ;D

In my headcanon, the fact that he's part of Apocalypse's bloodline with that weird cult definitely has something to do with why his parents are so callous and indifferent when it comes to their own kid. Like... I guess they were just bad people to start with. :P So like you said, wanting to distance himself from them (and their lifestyle) would be why he fell into that crowd with the lower-rung folks with that accent.

But of course, I'd like to see the real canon backstory explained in a good way that makes sense at some point.

So according to what you said, maybe he was in a band, and maybe not, but he definitely plays guitar and sings, so it would be understandable to think he used to be in a band. ;D

And lol, I love responding in novels. XD

Oh no, I just got reminded of the New Warriors run's existence! I also agree it had potential, but geeeeeez was it ever a train wreck. The only two that came out looking halfway competent were Jubilee and Jono. And the giant fairy thing... why..... lol.
    <_<;;; ARE YOU FOR REAL?! I JUST BOUGHT A FUTON!

I liked how “mouthy” he was under Spurrier’s pen. lol

We just want a well written Generation X reunion. Apparently that is too much to ask for.

Man, Jono and Gayle had the weirdest relationship. I’m pretty sure they genuinely cared for each other, but boy did things get all weird. Maybe he was this lower class bad boy and was all she was attracted to that. There’s a picture of them all hanging out him with his guitar so I imagine before he cocked blocked himself, that Jono used to serenade Gayle from time to time. He was said to be pretty confident before his accident.

Yeah, that’s my headcanon until something actually becomes canon!

lol The fairy thing… um… I guess Jono is a man secure in his masculinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Salemdelight View Post
    Lol essays it is. We get so few things about Jono in the comics we make up for it in words here.

@rufion it was Rosemburgs run. During the war of the realms where they're standing around in their knickers. Still won't forgive him for saying Jono was a hipster. Glad he got some team time and called Scott a tosser, no airs and graces that lad, but he didn't really get Jono. Man I hope Si gives him a good story, even if it's a small one.

New Warriors was such a bummer as we had an Apocalypse Jono and they never used that. I enjoyed his having Jubes' back and getting to show he's got brains. But damn it went nowhere and he was missing his snark.

@starleafgirlYeah he could have put on the accent for sure. There's a few British celebs who do that too, hiding that they're posh. But like them he would have been ripped to shreds by real Cockneys if he did. Working class Brits don't like when posh blokes pretend to be them. They would have respected him more for keeping his normal one I believe. But he may have picked it up naturally hanging around friends, Band mates and family who weren't posh. He's pretty much a true latchkey kid and who wants to stay in that unloving home for one second? Bet he wandered all over London as a kid to get away. And definitely ran in rough areas, what with him saying he's a pub brawler. But that's just my own thoughts and it's so cool how we all have different views on his mysterious past. I really hope someone gives us answers into that past (Si!) because he's a scrappy scruffy lad and doesn't seem to have had a normal life and that's a story worth telling. Being tattooed when young, parents ignoring him, being told weird Cult stories. What a weird family to come from.

Lady Gale was proper posh even had a Mansion. It was shown in the follow up book to AOA, Emplate goes to see her about their mutual friend. I think it was mentioned he was in a band in the Annual where he blew himself up, said something about being a stage musician. He also mentioned his time in his band in the Gen X novel that was based on, but then he was Scottish in that one bizarrely. So I ignore that.
    I imagine Jono probably played hookey a lot. Oh, man, I just love that who hypothesis on his background. I would love for an actual British writer (Si!) to write a good backstory for Jono. I think they’d understand the culture there a lot better. lol

She was, right? Sometimes it’s hard to tell what is canon and what we are filling in. XD that Scottish thing is weird because didn’t loebdell write the novels? O_o
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;

Hey, everyone! How’s it going?

I started adding essential reading, but it’s a work in progress. That said if you see anything that is currently missing or would like to make suggestions for anything yet to be added, please let me know.

Thanks!

Edit: Just want to say that New Warriors is WAY worse than I remember. No wonder I only remembered it as a train wreck, this is awful. How did this get so many issues? Wtf? I don’t think I can stress enough… just how dumb this run is making me feel.

Edit: lol
    Last edited by Rufio; 02-21-2022 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Also, apparently there’s a lady in my work place that looks like Dolly Parton from the 1970s~1980s. lol

Hahaha, yup.

LOL maybe one of those two sources are why I had it in my head that he was in a band.

Anyway, I like your explanation of his background, makes sense. I was also thinking he wouldn't be spending a ton of time in that posh home, so he got his accent from other sources.

Us exchanging ideas like this makes me think they should do a comic book where various x-kids sit around and talk about what each of them think Professor Starsmore's background is, since he's sooooo tight-lipped no one really knows much about him. All that stuff would be shown in panels that are color-tinted differently depending on who's telling the story... one version where he was in a band, another where he was in the weird Apocalypse cult, etc.... ;D

<_<;;; ARE YOU FOR REAL?! I JUST BOUGHT A FUTON!

I liked how “mouthy” he was under Spurrier’s pen. lol

We just want a well written Generation X reunion. Apparently that is too much to ask for.
    I know, because I'm in your head! (lol)

Re: Proper Gen X Reunion: Exactly! Too much to ask or what??

Till we know anything for sure, we're all allowed our different headcanons, lol. ;D

Edit: Just want to say that New Warriors is WAY worse than I remember. No wonder I only remembered it as a train wreck, this is awful. How did this get so many issues? Wtf? I don’t think I can stress enough… just how dumb this run is making me feel.

Edit: lol
    TOLD YOU. Lol.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg

Hahaha, yup.

LOL maybe one of those two sources are why I had it in my head that he was in a band.

Anyway, I like your explanation of his background, makes sense. I was also thinking he wouldn't be spending a ton of time in that posh home, so he got his accent from other sources.

Us exchanging ideas like this makes me think they should do a comic book where various x-kids sit around and talk about what each of them think Professor Starsmore's background is, since he's sooooo tight-lipped no one really knows much about him. All that stuff would be shown in panels that are color-tinted differently depending on who's telling the story... one version where he was in a band, another where he was in the weird Apocalypse cult, etc.... ;D

I know, because I'm in your head! (lol)

Re: Proper Gen X Reunion: Exactly! Too much to ask or what??

Till we know anything for sure, we're all allowed our different headcanons, lol. ;D

TOLD YOU. Lol.
    Aww, that’s so cute. We’re X-Kids. I’m gonna go with that he was in a band. I think before his accident, Jono was pretty charismatic and probably enjoyed that kinda thing.

Salem gave an awesome explanation. It makes so much sense. I like.

>:’( I’ll have you know, it’s a Queen! So you better be happy with it!

I will patiently wait for a writer who cares enough. lol

Omg, yes you did… but even with that warning… it’s just… so bad. So funny though, Jono gets hurt like every issue. Someone’s always like “JONOOOOO!” XD I just couldn’t and I gave up. I’ll go back to it, but man. It’s bad. I did give a warning. It is bad. But I don’t think any new reader can be fully prepared.

Edit: I went back and finished it. Out of all of the 20 issues, for Jono… if ANY, you really only need two. And honestly after issue 10 maaaaybe 13, it’s basically the same issue over and over again.

Man, everyone is so badly written. I get that the writer was really trying to sell Night Thrasher, but that is some major herd mentality. Dumb, that run made me dumb. What I think really sucks too, is that NOTHING came from that run. It had no major impact on the Marvel universe or the characters. As evident by the fact that Stacy X just popped up alive without explanation.
    Last edited by Rufio; 02-22-2022 at 03:28 PM.

Jawbreaker it's always great to see you pop up no matter how long it is. Being a caretaker is HARD work indeed.
    Also, caretaker isn’t easy work. Major props to you.
    thanks for your kind words guys. It is hard but Im hoping to be able to get some help eventually.

I know I don't check into CBR very often anymore, but the X-Men Election had me thinking about this place again.
    I was really hoping to see Chamber in a larger capacity than just wallpaper, considering he and Mondo were a part of that book's original cast. Oh well.
    Maybe he could muscle his way into Legion of X, considering he's Si Spurrier's "Krakoan crush"...
    https://aiptcomics.com/2022/02/14/x-...s-day-special/
    OMG I've been wondering where you've been! How do you feel about them giving Monet her own Penance form? Personally dont like that they've basically taken Penance's unique look and slapped it onto another X-man that doesn't need it.

I honestly hate the Kurt-Jono friendship. I absolutely disagreed with Kurt chewing Jono out like he did.
    I actually like cursing Jono. XD I hope to see more. lol And Si’s actually British so we get real talk there. I just hope he uses him well. l

I love Poptopia, it was one of the first comics with Jono I read. I like when they're stranded in the Alps and Jono tries to speak German to Kurt's circus friend and Kurt's looking a him like wtf he can speak some German? ok not bad...

and when he contacted Stacy X telepathically. That was cool.

That's my favorite bit of recent(-ish) Chamber info. If only Gage had had more time to spend with Chamber.
    As for his body working in weird bullshit ways... yeah, it's pretty inconsistent.

I read that panel like he seems really uncomfortable with someone else actually wanting to mimic his power. Like he just wishes Mimic would stop asking him all these questions. Too personal for his comfort level. Especially since he probably doesn't know Mimic well at all.

As for his body working in weird bullshit ways
    I love that, that should be Jono's answer next time someone pesters him about how his powers work. It works in weird bullshit ways.

@rufion it was Rosemburgs run. During the war of the realms where they're standing around in their knickers.
    Wat? Lol! Why dont I remember this? I remember Eyeboy seeing him nude and finding out he has Smith lyrics tattoo somewhere Eyeboy wish he hadn't seen in Gen X vol2. That's such a fangirl kind of detail.

I picked up that New Warriors book b/c back then I had more money, time, and I was desperate for any bit of Jono even if he had fish lips. I think i dropped it before the last arc b/c the art in the previews made me cry.
    thanks for doing the reading list! I think there used ti be an essential list at a site called Uncannyxmen.net but that was eons ago and I dont know if the site still exists. Doesn't Wikipedia have a list?

I didn't like Rosumburg's Jono, he clearly didn't like the character and made him murder-happy and made him die saying the dumbest thing I think he's ever telepathically said.

As for Jono's backstory... so the consensus is that Jono was one of those kids that were supposedly well off but wanted to rebel. So he was a goth (as opposed to punks who were lower working class.)I could never tell if Gen X era Jono was supposed to be goth or punk.

I keep wanting to see them put together a new version of Akkaba not run by Ozymandius. Mini-poccy Jono was kinda there, but that was well... Ozymandius's idea.

Hmm.. Jono, Clarice, who else is a present-day descendant?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I keep wanting to see them put together a new version of Akkaba not run by Ozymandius. Mini-poccy Jono was kinda there, but that was well... Ozymandius's idea.

Hmm.. Jono, Clarice, who else is a present-day descendant?
    The only other currently living descendant of Clan Akkaba that we know of (since the rest of the Clan either died facing the vampires or in the present day were depowered on M-Day and then killed by the Apocalypse Twins) is Frederick Slade, Clarice's great-grandfather. He's old as fuck but still definitely alive, and I keep saying he definitely needs to show up on Krakoa and he's a known schemer definitely capable of (and likely to be interested in) using the resurrection protocols to regain his youth and vitality and make a play for leadership of Clan Akkaba now that Apocalypse is gone and hundreds of thousands of other members will inevitably be returning via resurrection over the next several years comic book time.

Clarice has never met him but Jono has.

However even more interesting than Frederick, potentially, is the possibility now of Jack Starsmore coming back....Frederick's cousin and Jono's great-grandfather with a fire-breathing power. Jono's mentioned knowing him personally and being pretty familiar with his habits and stories before he died presumably of old age.....which means even without the changes to resurrection by Wanda's spell, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack was already backed up by Cerebro by the time he died, and could be brought back the same way a recent new character Somnus was.

That to me is a hella interesting connection waiting to be explored.....Jono's great-grandfather returning as like, a contemporary of his now (especially if offset by Clarice dealing with the same thing as Frederick comes to Krakoa). What's also really interesting there is unlike how Frederick actively WANTS control of Clan Akkaba, HIS contemporary Jack had a completely different take on the Clan and was kinda glad to be free of its influence after the vampires wiped out most of his generation, and is just as likely to want nothing to do with it or its returning members now. Thus allowing for lots of conflicting points of view/takes there. Course, with resurrection plenty of other descendants are now possibilities for return....like Apocalypse and Autumn Rolfson's son William, Evan, Frederick's brother Hamilton Slade himself, etc.

(Hell, I maintain there should be a communal house somewhere on the island - and avoided by pretty much everyone, lol - that's full of the various Horsemen Apocalypse has accumulated over the centuries, like Kieros, Rolfson, Plague, Decimus Furius, Jeb Lee, etc. They gotta have a very interesting perspective on Apocalypse having peaced out the second the Otherworld Tournament story was over like haha forget everything I told you guys all these years, I got mine, see you never).

But also, we have seen Jono in the background of Legion of X promo art, so we know he's at least hung out on Mars/Legion's Altar space. And I reeeeeeally want to see some kind of interaction between Jono and Apocalypse's sister in law Isca. Would love to know what she and Jono think of each other.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 02-23-2022 at 03:44 AM.

Man, Age of X was good. Tbh, I recommend people just read it. It doesn’t even have to be for a specific character.

In regards to Jono, I was thinking that while a lot of X-Men had their memories of Age of X repressed, Jono probably kept his. He was basically overwritten by Legion. I’d like this to be revisited in the future sometime. (please Marvel)

Added to Rufio’s Unatainable Wishlist:
    A new Chamber mini written by Mike Carey

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    thanks for your kind words guys. It is hard but Im hoping to be able to get some help eventually.

OMG I've been wondering where you've been! How do you feel about them giving Monet her own Penance form? Personally dont like that they've basically taken Penance's unique look and slapped it onto another X-man that doesn't need it.

I love Poptopia, it was one of the first comics with Jono I read. I like when they're stranded in the Alps and Jono tries to speak German to Kurt's circus friend and Kurt's looking a him like wtf he can speak some German? ok not bad...

and when he contacted Stacy X telepathically. That was cool.

I read that panel like he seems really uncomfortable with someone else actually wanting to mimic his power. Like he just wishes Mimic would stop asking him all these questions. Too personal for his comfort level. Especially since he probably doesn't know Mimic well at all.

I love that, that should be Jono's answer next time someone pesters him about how his powers work. It works in weird bullshit ways.

Wat? Lol! Why dont I remember this? I remember Eyeboy seeing him nude and finding out he has Smith lyrics tattoo somewhere Eyeboy wish he hadn't seen in Gen X vol2. That's such a fangirl kind of detail.

I picked up that New Warriors book b/c back then I had more money, time, and I was desperate for any bit of Jono even if he had fish lips. I think i dropped it before the last arc b/c the art in the previews made me cry.
    thanks for doing the reading list! I think there used ti be an essential list at a site called Uncannyxmen.net but that was eons ago and I dont know if the site still exists. Doesn't Wikipedia have a list?

I didn't like Rosumburg's Jono, he clearly didn't like the character and made him murder-happy and made him die saying the dumbest thing I think he's ever telepathically said.

As for Jono's backstory... so the consensus is that Jono was one of those kids that were supposedly well off but wanted to rebel. So he was a goth (as opposed to punks who were lower working class.)I could never tell if Gen X era Jono was supposed to be goth or punk.
    lol In regards to this forum, I associate jawbreaker, salemdelight, and starleafgirl with Chamber.

I thought was Poptopia good, but I did not like that part. I think they can get a long, but them just being friends… hmmm… I want to see more interaction. And yesss, those feats are going on my recommend reading list for his powers. Jono can do so much.

It is the perfect explanation! His powers work in bullshit ways. Makes things make sense.

lol Jono internally: Mimic, shut up! Take a hint!

XD Yeah, that is some fan girl level attention to detail. He’s gonna have to get a new one. lol

I think both of those sites are around, but I’ve been following marvel.fandom. I know it’s a little iffy sometimes, but for characters like Jono it is pretty good. You just gotta pick through and see what he ACTUALLY appears in. Jono makes for some Great wallpaper, but in most of his appearances, he does at least says something. (Except Generation M, where he was a main character who had to do nothing.)

My thing with Rosenberg’s run, is that it is just another reason why Jono shouldn’t have a good relationship with Emma. I don’t like his characterization in the run, but Emma was the one who put it in his head that the Marauders killed his peeps. She could have just left him alone. Which is also why Emma fans should hate the run too. lol I DID LIKE that he was with the Morlocks. I liked that he was in a leadership role and trying to keep them safe. And I thought it was very good that he wanted nothing to do with the X-Men. But overall, not a good run. Bleh.

Going back to Emma, I really wish more writers would bring up that Generation X fled in the dead of night to get away from her (and Sean, but he caught them). Then she started working at the main campus and I know after Shism, a lot of those kids didn’t like her either. She’s a good character but I wish more of this got brought up more.

Yeah, writers should just jump in here for back story. I think we got it pretty well consolidated.
    Last edited by Rufio; 02-23-2022 at 10:09 AM. Reason: I do math. I don’t write. Big problems

Aww, that’s so cute. We’re X-Kids. I’m gonna go with that he was in a band. I think before his accident, Jono was pretty charismatic and probably enjoyed that kinda thing.

Salem gave an awesome explanation. It makes so much sense. I like.

>:’( I’ll have you know, it’s a Queen! So you better be happy with it!

I will patiently wait for a writer who cares enough. lol
    I agree, it fits with his whole vibe of being more confident before his power manifested.

And the futon is indeed very comfy. Props.

"X-Kids" Unite!

Omg, yes you did… but even with that warning… it’s just… so bad. So funny though, Jono gets hurt like every issue. Someone’s always like “JONOOOOO!” XD I just couldn’t and I gave up. I’ll go back to it, but man. It’s bad. I did give a warning. It is bad. But I don’t think any new reader can be fully prepared.

Edit: I went back and finished it. Out of all of the 20 issues, for Jono… if ANY, you really only need two. And honestly after issue 10 maaaaybe 13, it’s basically the same issue over and over again.

Man, everyone is so badly written. I get that the writer was really trying to sell Night Thrasher, but that is some major herd mentality. Dumb, that run made me dumb. What I think really sucks too, is that NOTHING came from that run. It had no major impact on the Marvel universe or the characters. As evident by the fact that Stacy X just popped up alive without explanation.
    So, so bad! Two issues aligns with what I thought of at the time, too, though I'm not going to re-read to remember. ;P All I really liked was him staring at himself in the mirror being in-character emo about his Apoca-looks and then something near the end... I guess also the fact that only he and Jubilee seemed to have brains among the herd -- I mean, team! (And sadly, really only Jubilee stood out as a possible leader.)

First of all, wanted to say I hope everything's going better IRL for you. The role of caretaker is hard, but important.

Second of all, nice to see you again! I remembered you from before I left CBR. ^^ I've mainly been hanging out on Twitter, reading comic book creator tweets and the like, plus co-managing a Storm fan group on Facebook.

Third of all, OMG don't even get me started on M-Penance! Lol. I was absolutely crushed when I found out that the Penance that I had been seeing in art for Dawn of X was actually Monet, not Penny. Every writer since Larry Hama has done their best to untangle and distance M and Penny, rewrite the narrative to leave open the possibility that Penance is her own mutant and actually always was.

...Then Hickman comes along and says, "Remember the '90s? Let's slap 'em together again!" as if Penance is just a new coat of paint for Monet. It's hurtful as a fan to continually see your favorite character's body and name, then have to remind yourself that it's not actually your favorite character, it's some sort of body-merging/DNA-activating resurrection protocol nonsense that has never even been fully explained. Can you imagine if they did that to Jono? Stuck someone else's mind into his body, then never explain what happened to Jono? /shudder

That said, there has been a lot of nice new Penance art resulting from this. I'll try to comfort myself with that silver lining, but they better explain Monet and the Mini-Penances soon. ;P

Agree, that's how I read it, too. Like he just wanted Mimic out of there as soon as possible, didn't want to talk about anything personal. Which is great characterization by Christos Gage!

Hahaha, yeah.

I personally thought of both Penny and Jono as goths, because it was the '90s, but punk fits Jono's '90s vibe, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    That to me is a hella interesting connection waiting to be explored.....Jono's great-grandfather returning as like, a contemporary of his now (especially if offset by Clarice dealing with the same thing as Frederick comes to Krakoa). What's also really interesting there is unlike how Frederick actively WANTS control of Clan Akkaba, HIS contemporary Jack had a completely different take on the Clan and was kinda glad to be free of its influence after the vampires wiped out most of his generation, and is just as likely to want nothing to do with it or its returning members now. Thus allowing for lots of conflicting points of view/takes there. Course, with resurrection plenty of other descendants are now possibilities for return....like Apocalypse and Autumn Rolfson's son William, Evan, Frederick's brother Hamilton Slade himself, etc.
    Gasp! I would also love to see Jono interact with Jack Starsmore! This whole conflict with Frederick over the cult sounds great, too. It could lead to Chamber and Blink interacting more, too.

I also think Clan Akkaba is due for a comeback thanks to Krakoa, but I seem to recall Apocalypse left. Maybe the cult would be devoted to worshiping him in his absence or finding a "new" Apocalypse? At least, that's what it would be on the outside, whereas on the inside, it's all about Frederick solidifying a position of power for himself. ;D

Agreed on Jono interacting with Isca.

Evan died a while ago, eh? I don't know what happened there, exactly, but I liked Evan and always wished he and Jono would talk about Apocalypse things and be there for each other like family.

Jono, Evan, and Isca = an awkward family dinner for sure. Better invite Clarice just to lighten things up.
    Prεtty Pεnny

I'm gonna double-post here 'cos I didn't see Rufio's new post till I had already posted.

Man, Age of X was good. Tbh, I recommend people just read it. It doesn’t even have to be for a specific character.

In regards to Jono, I was thinking that while a lot of X-Men had their memories of Age of X repressed, Jono probably kept his. He was basically overwritten by Legion. I’d like this to be revisited in the future sometime. (please Marvel)

Added to Rufio’s Unattainable Wishlist:
    A new Chamber mini written by Mike Carey
    Agreed about Age of X. I always figured Jono kept his memory of Age of X, too. He kind of had to, otherwise he'd look down at his body and go, "Uh, guys... what's going on here?" :P

As for your Unattainable Wishlist: May I suggest a new Generation X volume drawn by Russell Dauterman? I know I've said it before, but I really think of him as the next Bachalo, unless someone here has a better suggestion. ^^

lol In regards to this forum, I associate jawbreaker, salemdelight, and starleafgirl with Chamber.
    Aww! Well, now I associate you with Chamber, too, hehe.

Yeah, writers should just jump in here for back story. I think we got it pretty well consolidated.
    Agreed! I always thought that for more obscure wallpaper-ish characters like Chamber and Penance, creators should definitely ask the fans before writing backstory for them, if for no other reason than to get a good Reading List out of it. ;D Fans always remember the oddest little details and it's details that help a backstory jive with everything that's come before (though writers should also just go back and read the important issues themselves to be sure).
    Prεtty Pεnny

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    The only other currently living descendant of Clan Akkaba that we know of (since the rest of the Clan either died facing the vampires or in the present day were depowered on M-Day and then killed by the Apocalypse Twins) is Frederick Slade, Clarice's great-grandfather. He's old as fuck but still definitely alive, and I keep saying he definitely needs to show up on Krakoa and he's a known schemer definitely capable of (and likely to be interested in) using the resurrection protocols to regain his youth and vitality and make a play for leadership of Clan Akkaba now that Apocalypse is gone and hundreds of thousands of other members will inevitably be returning via resurrection over the next several years comic book time.

Clarice has never met him but Jono has.
    yeah, but it'd be nice to see. Also the other people from old Akkaba would be nice to see return. What would a guy like Brashear get up to in Krakoa?
    However even more interesting than Frederick, potentially, is the possibility now of Jack Starsmore coming back....Frederick's cousin and Jono's great-grandfather with a fire-breathing power. Jono's mentioned knowing him personally and being pretty familiar with his habits and stories before he died presumably of old age.....which means even without the changes to resurrection by Wanda's spell, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack was already backed up by Cerebro by the time he died, and could be brought back the same way a recent new character Somnus was.

Sooo many ways Akkaba centric stories could go
    (Hell, I maintain there should be a communal house somewhere on the island - and avoided by pretty much everyone, lol - that's full of the various Horsemen Apocalypse has accumulated over the centuries, like Kieros, Rolfson, Plague, Decimus Furius, Jeb Lee, etc. They gotta have a very interesting perspective on Apocalypse having peaced out the second the Otherworld Tournament story was over like haha forget everything I told you guys all these years, I got mine, see you never).
    I can support this only if Wolverine(aka the Horseman of Death) gets locked inside and never let out. Honestly, a lot of them are actually decent people when not doing Horseman stuff.... also half of them are also Xmen. Angel, Polaris, Gambit, and probably more I'm forgetting.(Does Sunfire count as an Xman?)
    But also, we have seen Jono in the background of Legion of X promo art, so we know he's at least hung out on Mars/Legion's Altar space. And I reeeeeeally want to see some kind of interaction between Jono and Apocalypse's sister in law Isca. Would love to know what she and Jono think of each other.
    Isca prob thinks he sucks.

Oh man, X-Men Legacy Vol 2 was so good. It was so hard to get the appearances because I just kept reading it! σ(^_^; ) I kept having to go back because I would realized Jono hasn’t appeared for a couple of issues and WHEN DID HE LAST APPEAR?!

But I think I got the important showings. There are issues I didn’t include that Jono appears in, but he doesn’t say or do much… so yeah.

Edit: Starting on Gen X Vol 2. I think one of my biggest complaints about this series is just HOW MUCH Strain ignored pre-established canon. Shogo is older, Jono trains a class when he has a class for students who went through physical changes. Hellion was in his class so it wasn’t a mutation thing. In fact ROXY WAS IN JONO’S CLASS!

I’ll never forgive her making Paige a therapist when she could have gone into a STEM field. Or even the fact that Paige, who has an obvious mutation going on with her face, was able to go to college. Tbh, Paige is one of the last people who should be a therapist, just saying.

Anyway, I’m gonna be as non bias as possible and find the pertinent issues in case any of you lovely people would like to check out this run and form your own opinions. Naturally, this will only include issues where Jono serves a contributing function. There actually is a nice showing at the end of the run, but I’ll let you kids get to that on your own. Look, did you see? I said something nice.

Edit 2: Also can we PLEASE stop with the lack of accessibility jokes?! PLEASE? This school was built in the USA AFTER the freaking ADA went through, there should be ramps and elevators. We shouldn’t be seeing “lol this school that was named after a guy who was in a wheelchair has no ramps” jokes. That shouldn’t even be a thing.

Strain was all for calling Eyeboy a privilege cis white boy, but she has no problems making fun of these situations.

Edit 3: Anyway, Strain’s run ends on a pretty good note. Oh Nature Girl, how some of us mourn for thee.

*Groan* Now on to Uncanny X-Men Vol 5.

Edit 4: Oh man, we Chamber fans have had a rough few years. This writing is terrible and you know what? Jono hasn’t even done anything. He’s just standing around in the background being Waldo! Anyway, I blame run on the fact that they were closing things off and setting things up for Hickman.
    Last edited by Rufio; 03-09-2022 at 11:58 AM.