Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    I know I don't check into CBR very often anymore, but the X-Men Election had me thinking about this place again.

I was really hoping to see Chamber in a larger capacity than just wallpaper, considering he and Mondo were a part of that book's original cast. Oh well.

Maybe he could muscle his way into Legion of X, considering he's Si Spurrier's "Krakoan crush"...

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/02/14/x-...s-day-special/
    It’s gotta be some form of subliminal messaging.

Same, hopefully he pops up more in a plot oriented capacity.

loooool I didn’t even read that X-Men Monday! XD So funny. Hopefully Si uses him more than sparingly. :P
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Just had a random thought… do you guys think it’s possible for Chamber to get a sinus infection?
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    Just had a random thought… do you guys think it’s possible for Chamber to get a sinus infection?
    I wonder. Healthy Sinuses hold air in them, but as he doesn't breath would they work as normal? Omega Reds death spors never worked on him, so possibly he's immune to infections. Another question is can he cry? I thought it was weird that he had enough blood to feed Jubes too. Honestly the way Jono works is a puzzle lol

Quote Originally Posted by Salemdelight View Post
    I wonder. Healthy Sinuses hold air in them, but as he doesn't breath would they work as normal? Omega Reds death spors never worked on him, so possibly he's immune to infections. Another question is can he cry? I thought it was weird that he had enough blood to feed Jubes too. Honestly the way Jono works is a puzzle lol
    I like to think that since he’s an energy being, he can subconsciously bullshit his body to work certain ways.

Edit: But, I’m gonna go a “No” on the sinus thing.

I like to think that since he’s an energy being, he can subconsciously bullshit his body to work certain ways.

Edit: But, I’m gonna go a “No” on the sinus thing.
    Yeah I agree. It's pretty creepy to think his energy self is essentially keeping his urm flesh body alive and acting as normal as it can be for him.

Yeah I agree. It's pretty creepy to think his energy self is essentially keeping his urm flesh body alive and acting as normal as it can be for him.
    It’s the only way I can think to make some things make sense about this guy. I mean, how else would he bleed? Maybe his blood like super concentrated or something…

And as much as I like the Icons: Chamber mini, there were some things the writer put that make no sense that I just throw out the window.

Like that he smells like sulfur, um no. If that were the case, I’m sure someone would say that physic constructs smell like farts. Or that if Jono got shot in the head, he’d die. One of the Gen X annuals showed that to be false and Gigi didn’t know what she was talking about. lol

So hard to go through canon sometimes because what?

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

It seems like it's hard for writers to stick to canon for a character like Jono, who doesn't appear too often.

A lot of appearances, they don't dip much into it at all, then at other times, random tidbits of info pop up like in Christos Gage's X-Men Legacy where Mimic remarked that Chamber burned cold.

It's a lot of little, odd things to keep straight, which I guess is hard to do if the writer doesn't go back and read every issue of Generation X he was in. ;P

That's my favorite bit of recent(-ish) Chamber info. If only Gage had had more time to spend with Chamber.

As for his body working in weird bullshit ways... yeah, it's pretty inconsistent. I think they said something back in the Gen X days like... he's really a psionic energy being, but he's too traumatized or not confident enough to fully embrace it and he holds onto part of his original body as a result. How much of him is flesh-and-blood vs. how much is energy has changed a bit based on the artist, but we can also say it comes and goes a bit.

Unless someone here knows better than me. I'm just a Gen X fan, not a Jonothon Starsmore expert. ;D
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

I wish artists would make his powers look less like fire coming out of his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    It seems like it's hard for writers to stick to canon for a character like Jono, who doesn't appear too often.

A lot of appearances, they don't dip much into it at all, then at other times, random tidbits of info pop up like in Christos Gage's X-Men Legacy where Mimic remarked that Chamber burned cold.

It's a lot of little, odd things to keep straight, which I guess is hard to do if the writer doesn't go back and read every issue of Generation X he was in. ;P

That's my favorite bit of recent(-ish) Chamber info. If only Gage had had more time to spend with Chamber.

As for his body working in weird bullshit ways... yeah, it's pretty inconsistent. I think they said something back in the Gen X days like... he's really a psionic energy being, but he's too traumatized or not confident enough to fully embrace it and he holds onto part of his original body as a result. How much of him is flesh-and-blood vs. how much is energy has changed a bit based on the artist, but we can also say it comes and goes a bit.

Unless someone here knows better than me. I'm just a Gen X fan, not a Jonothon Starsmore expert. ;D
    Lol and on that note, it sucks because c’mon guys, there’s not 60 years worth of reading to go through! I think Jono is really easy because you just have to looks to a small bit of essential reading and you’re good.

Hmm… maybe I should make an essential reading section. But I dunno, some people feel Strain’s run is essential and I feel like it is easily skipable as every writer afterwards has done so.

I will forever be bitter that Gage didn’t get more of a chance to write Chamber. That man actually asked and did research on the character! And I felt he actually wrote him pretty well for the small bit he appeared. Dx *sobs*

Would really like someone to explore that! This guy literally got no help with his issues. I thought him helping students who went through physical changes was such a good idea, because the x-men honestly fail with that. Now it seems like he’s randomly happy because he went through some off panel character development (ie: written ooc).

It honestly feels like a lot of writer just like to include him just to make fun of him. Which is so frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I wish artists would make his powers look less like fire coming out of his face.
    Yes! I agree! I also miss the color changing. D;

I think Jonos got something like 200 odd issue appearances and a lot a just him as background. So not too hard for writers to read up on him. It'd be great to see a chart of his appearances. I get the feeling editorial aren't keeping up with writers on characters recently as Jonos not the only character that's been off or had history forgotten in recent years. One thing I did like about Strains run, and it was taken from Gages, was that teaching other disabled/othered mutants had such a good influence on him. It seemed realising he's not alone helped him with his own self image. Did more for him than any teachers or teams did, though maybe Ange helped too as he never let Jono wallow. Kinda reflects how he first was with Penny. Being the one to risk approaching her as a friend not an enemy. Same teaching style of not lying to the kids and appoching them head on.

It's sad and frustrating to see writers now use him as a joke. He's one of the few mutants who suffered for their powers and shows the dark side of being a mutant. And has a strange and weird history with Clan Akabar. Why isn't he being used? He's got such a fun background, powers and personality to play with.

I do miss how Chris drew him originally with bits of his power sparking off him. Or how Ian Churchill had his powers wandering in all directions. I miss the blue light appearing when he wasn't feeling too good or powered down.

Sorry for rambling. Having a isp ban blows, I cant log on as much as I'd like.

I think Jonos got something like 200 odd issue appearances and a lot a just him as background. So not too hard for writers to read up on him. It'd be great to see a chart of his appearances. I get the feeling editorial aren't keeping up with writers on characters recently as Jonos not the only character that's been off or had history forgotten in recent years. One thing I did like about Strains run, and it was taken from Gages, was that teaching other disabled/othered mutants had such a good influence on him. It seemed realising he's not alone helped him with his own self image. Did more for him than any teachers or teams did, though maybe Ange helped too as he never let Jono wallow. Kinda reflects how he first was with Penny. Being the one to risk approaching her as a friend not an enemy. Same teaching style of not lying to the kids and appoching them head on.

It's sad and frustrating to see writers now use him as a joke. He's one of the few mutants who suffered for their powers and shows the dark side of being a mutant. And has a strange and weird history with Clan Akabar. Why isn't he being used? He's got such a fun background, powers and personality to play with.

I do miss how Chris drew him originally with bits of his power sparking off him. Or how Ian Churchill had his powers wandering in all directions. I miss the blue light appearing when he wasn't feeling too good or powered down.

That's right. To a casual fan Jono just looks like a pyrokinetic, but with half of his face missing.

If they could make his powers look less firey and more psionic, it would make him stand out more.

It’s okay, we understand.

Okay, I could do something like that on post #2. It’s pretty easy. And we’re not talking like all his appearances. Just the ones that are important to the character.

I’ll include Strain’s run because there are plenty who like it, but I still hope she never writes Generation X again. I was not a fan. Plus unlike Gage who still hinted that Chamber did still have issues with his powers, I felt Strain really threw him (Paige too!) under the bus to be a support for Jubilee. I did think their interaction was cute, but it did not go anywhere. Which I do think is a shame, there was the potential for some good development for both Jono and Jubilee there. Very big missed opportunity. They could have been a cute little family. Shogo had the opportunity to have a cute looking mom and a scary looking dad.

I honestly think it really goes to show that as much as writer say they care about disability representation, they have a lot of work to do. Just look at Vita having Karma keep the leg. When people said something, Vita fired back saying those people hate disability representation. Like get out of here with that. I was raised by a disabled woman and that kinda talk wins no favors.

Right? He has such an interesting back story! Plus, I would honestly like to see about his parents. From what he’s said in Gen X and frankly how he’s just been drifting everywhere, they don’t seem to care about him too much. Also one of the his cards says he was born into wealth and I think he even said his parents when on vacations without him. So this is a case that THEY were rich. I think he just kinda went out and did his own thing. lol

Right? Like you and Kevlon said, the way his powers are drawn really does a lot for how you can read him or even how his powers are supposed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    That's right. To a casual fan Jono just looks like a pyrokinetic, but with half of his face missing.

If they could make his powers look less firey and more psionic, it would make him stand out more.
    One comic even had Madrox warming6his hands6with Jonos flames. So many writers and artists forget he's psionic.

Yeah I wish they'd make them more 'fizzing', something that looks alive. Which it is I guess. Chris tends to draw him creating little skulls and monsters with his powers too and I think that's a really fun way to show his powers as being alive.

It’s okay, we understand.

Okay, I could do something like that on post #2. It’s pretty easy. And we’re not talking like all his appearances. Just the ones that are important to the character.

I’ll include Strain’s run because there are plenty who like it, but I still hope she never writes Generation X again. I was not a fan. Plus unlike Gage who still hinted that Chamber did still have issues with his powers, I felt Strain really threw him (Paige too!) under the bus to be a support for Jubilee. I did think their interaction was cute, but it did not go anywhere. Which I do think is a shame, there was the potential for some good development for both Jono and Jubilee there. Very big missed opportunity. They could have been a cute little family. Shogo had the opportunity to have a cute looking mom and a scary looking dad.

I honestly think it really goes to show that as much as writer say they care about disability representation, they have a lot of work to do. Just look at Vita having Karma keep the leg. When people said something, Vita fired back saying those people hate disability representation. Like get out of here with that. I was raised by a disabled woman and that kinda talk wins no favors.

Right? He has such an interesting back story! Plus, I would honestly like to see about his parents. From what he’s said in Gen X and frankly how he’s just been drifting everywhere, they don’t seem to care about him too much. Also one of the his cards says he was born into wealth and I think he even said his parents when on vacations without him. So this is a case that THEY were rich. I think he just kinda went out and did his own thing. lol

Right? Like you and Kevlon said, the way his powers are drawn really does a lot for how you can read him or even how his powers are supposed to work.
    It'd be great if you could, but no rush 😉 But yeah just keep to the important issues or you'd be playing where's Jono again. There were some things I liked and didn't like in Strains run. How he was with Jubes, Roxy and Shogo was one of the things I did. Got to see his caring side shining through. But yeah he was sort of Mr Background again when he and Paige are Genxers and as important as Jubes. Even in not so great stories like New Warriors he got to show parts he doesn't get to show much. Like being the only one to put his tech together in the dark. And stepping up to lead them and collate their last weapons together to face down Machine smith. It's rare we see intelligent and leader Jono.

I'm the same in both my parents are disabled, so Jono just meant a lot to me to see growing up. His struggles and trying to be the person he wants to be, but stumbling along the way. Like Angelo said, he wants to be loved for who he is now, not who he was. Vitas reply was frustrating as I saw a lot of disabled people unhappy with her reply. And you can't just say that to people living the reality.

Yes! It would be great to know more about his family. I mean they're around as Karma got in touch after he died. Like you said the card said he's born into wealth. Though if he's from a rich family (I think one card said he was almost royalty even, so old money), the thing that puzzles me as a Brit is where did he get that Cockney accent (and attitude)? Cockneys are mostly working class, not old money. Then there's Si saying he is born in Leyton, which is also a lower class area not posh. I guess it's a clash of US and UK writers, with US writers not understanding UK accents and class issues. I wonder if he went to live or hung out with a family member who is a Cockney (maybe on his mums side) or a school friends family who was more concerned with his wellbeing and picked up his accent from there. He'd have to stay somewhere while his family is swanning off on holidays. But he does seem to have nobody who cares about him, apart from Gale, in his past.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Lol and on that note, it sucks because c’mon guys, there’s not 60 years worth of reading to go through! I think Jono is really easy because you just have to looks to a small bit of essential reading and you’re good.

Hmm… maybe I should make an essential reading section. But I dunno, some people feel Strain’s run is essential and I feel like it is easily skipable as every writer afterwards has done so.
    I know you've already started to do this, but if I can make a suggestion: Two Reading Lists. One short essential one for powers and a larger, more general recommended one for story/personality beats. Because I don't think Christina Strain did anything with his powers (i.e. explanations or upgrades), but she did provide a more substantial appearance than just wallpapering and therefore deserves to be included on a Chamber reading list.

I will forever be bitter that Gage didn’t get more of a chance to write Chamber. That man actually asked and did research on the character! And I felt he actually wrote him pretty well for the small bit he appeared. Dx *sobs*

Would really like someone to explore that! This guy literally got no help with his issues. I thought him helping students who went through physical changes was such a good idea, because the x-men honestly fail with that. Now it seems like he’s randomly happy because he went through some off panel character development (ie: written ooc).

It honestly feels like a lot of writer just like to include him just to make fun of him. Which is so frustrating.
    Same, I'm soooooo bitter that the book was going to end soon, so Gage had to shift focus to Rogue before it all came to an end.

As for "randomly happy," I think part of it is that he's not an angst-filled teenager anymore. XD Plus, he has to be a mentor to all the physically changed mutant kids out there. I would've liked to have seen the character growth on the page, though.

I think Jonos got something like 200 odd issue appearances and a lot a just him as background. So not too hard for writers to read up on him. It'd be great to see a chart of his appearances. I get the feeling editorial aren't keeping up with writers on characters recently as Jonos not the only character that's been off or had history forgotten in recent years. One thing I did like about Strains run, and it was taken from Gages, was that teaching other disabled/othered mutants had such a good influence on him. It seemed realising he's not alone helped him with his own self image. Did more for him than any teachers or teams did, though maybe Ange helped too as he never let Jono wallow. Kinda reflects how he first was with Penny. Being the one to risk approaching her as a friend not an enemy. Same teaching style of not lying to the kids and approaching them head on.
    That's a good point, about his teaching style reflecting how he first approached Penny!

And yeah, a lot of his appearances are just wallpaper, so it should be pretty easy to make a list that's of more "substantial" appearances...

I feel like that's exactly where Strain was going with their relationship, but the run was cancelled before she could develop it further. She always lamented in interviews about how she wished she had more pages to tell the story... she probably would've brought more depth to it if she'd had more space and time. She just had a large cast, between the few old Gen Xers and the new GenXers.

I want a new Generation X series about the old GenXers. I agree that it doesn't have to be Christina Strain again, but at the same time, there was something special about her run, particularly for fans of those new GenXers.

Yes! It would be great to know more about his family. I mean they're around as Karma got in touch after he died. Like you said the card said he's born into wealth. Though if he's from a rich family (I think one card said he was almost royalty even, so old money), the thing that puzzles me as a Brit is where did he get that Cockney accent (and attitude)? Cockneys are mostly working class, not old money. Then there's Si saying he is born in Leyton, which is also a lower class area not posh. I guess it's a clash of US and UK writers, with US writers not understanding UK accents and class issues. I wonder if he went to live or hung out with a family member who is a Cockney (maybe on his mums side) or a school friends family who was more concerned with his wellbeing and picked up his accent from there. He'd have to stay somewhere while his family is swanning off on holidays. But he does seem to have nobody who cares about him, apart from Gale, in his past.
    I think we could use another look at his parents and his past. I always assumed the Cockney accent and attitude were something he was putting on when he escaped his rich lifestyle to go be in a band. ...He was in a band, right? That's not just my headcanon?? Hah. Anyway, his posh ways would've been made fun of in the punk/rock scene, so he adopted an attitude that was more fitting and just stuck with it in Generation X because he wasn't ever comfortable just being himself (at least at first). (But of course, the REAL answer is that US writers don't understand the intricacies of the UK...)
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007