Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    Oh man, X-Men Legacy Vol 2 was so good. It was so hard to get the appearances because I just kept reading it! σ(^_^; ) I kept having to go back because I would realized Jono hasn’t appeared for a couple of issues and WHEN DID HE LAST APPEAR?!

But I think I got the important showings. There are issues I didn’t include that Jono appears in, but he doesn’t say or do much… so yeah.
    Understandable; Christos Gage is a good writer. ^^

Edit: Starting on Gen X Vol 2. I think one of my biggest complaints about this series is just HOW MUCH Strain ignored pre-established canon. Shogo is older, Jono trains a class when he has a class for students who went through physical changes. Hellion was in his class so it wasn’t a mutation thing. In fact ROXY WAS IN JONO’S CLASS!

I’ll never forgive her making Paige a therapist when she could have gone into a STEM field. Or even the fact that Paige, who has an obvious mutation going on with her face, was able to go to college. Tbh, Paige is one of the last people who should be a therapist, just saying.
    She was trying to advance Shogo's age because, you know, kids grow up eventually. They shouldn't just stay babies forever. /stare-hard-at-all-other-comic-books

I didn't like the change in Jono's profession, but at least he was still a teacher. That felt like respecting the canon enough. You could even think that he's doing both at that school, that he's got a formal classroom setting for his Dealing with Physical Changes class and then helps out these Gen X students in his spare time. It's been a while since I read Gen X Vol. 2, but I think that fits.

Once again, though, Paige gets stuck with the short end of the stick! You can go to college online these days, plus the X-Men have image inducers, plus why can't Husk just husk herself a nice-looking face?? I don't know, there's a lot to unpack there with Paige. But at least she was freed from that mental illness/romance with Toad arc...

I agree that she's smart enough to go into STEM; it really felt like short-changing the character to have her be a therapist just so there's a character to say therapist things to these kids. But what else is new, Husk is constantly getting the worst of things (hello, much-older Angel romance).

*Groan* Now on to Uncanny X-Men Vol 5.

Edit 4: Oh man, we Chamber fans have had a rough few years. This writing is terrible and you know what? Jono hasn’t even done anything. He’s just standing around in the background being Waldo! Anyway, I blame run on the fact that they were closing things off and setting things up for Hickman.
    Oh no, Uncanny X-Men Vol. 5. D: But wait till he DOES do something, that's even worse than doing nothing, considering how it ended up for him! ^_^;;
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Understandable; Christos Gage is a good writer. ^^

She was trying to advance Shogo's age because, you know, kids grow up eventually. They shouldn't just stay babies forever. /stare-hard-at-all-other-comic-books

I didn't like the change in Jono's profession, but at least he was still a teacher. That felt like respecting the canon enough. You could even think that he's doing both at that school, that he's got a formal classroom setting for his Dealing with Physical Changes class and then helps out these Gen X students in his spare time. It's been a while since I read Gen X Vol. 2, but I think that fits.

Once again, though, Paige gets stuck with the short end of the stick! You can go to college online these days, plus the X-Men have image inducers, plus why can't Husk just husk herself a nice-looking face?? I don't know, there's a lot to unpack there with Paige. But at least she was freed from that mental illness/romance with Toad arc...

I agree that she's smart enough to go into STEM; it really felt like short-changing the character to have her be a therapist just so there's a character to say therapist things to these kids. But what else is new, Husk is constantly getting the worst of things (hello, much-older Angel romance).

Oh no, Uncanny X-Men Vol. 5. D: But wait till he DOES do something, that's even worse than doing nothing, considering how it ended up for him! ^_^;;
    Spurrier, but yes, yes I agree. I will never forgive Marvel for taking Gage away from us. You hear that, Marvel?! I keep track of your sins. lol

But all the other kids were still the same age. I think it’s just more confusing, but I really really wish other writers kept him a toddler.

You know, I like that he was there for Roxy (and the other kids). I can give Strain that. Because you know what?! Vita sure as heck didn’t let Jono do ANY OF THAT STUFF. *Bitter*

I just… omg… poor Paige. She is such a good character and doesn’t deserve what has been given to her.

I finished it. Oh maaaaaaan. Just terrible. And as someone who is not a big fan of the Hickman era, I gotta say the buildup wasn’t worth it. What with the way Age of X-Man and Uncanny turned out to be. Shame, shame.

I just got to finish up with New Mutants and then go BACK to Gen X Vol 1 and find those issues. Which I feel like that’s going to be pretty easy and I got most of the important stuff. Any issue recommendations?
    Last edited by Rufio; 03-09-2022 at 01:53 PM.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Spurrier, but yes, yes I agree. I will never forgive Marvel for taking Gage away from us. You hear that, Marvel?! I keep track of your sins. lol

But all the other kids were still the same age. I think it’s just more confusing, but I really really wish other writers kept him a toddler.
    Oh right, we had some Spurrier Jono before that got taken away from us, too... Well then yeah, Spurrier's take was good, too!

I know all the other kids were the same age and the New X-Men generation have been teenagers for like 20 years, lol, but babies grow quickly, so maybe that could explain it? XD

Yeah, they shouldn't have reverse-aged him back to baby status. ^_^;; But I'm sure they'll come up with a storyline to super-age him straight to teenager any day now, so meh.

You know, I like that he was there for Roxy (and the other kids). I can give Strain that. Because you know what?! Vita sure as heck didn’t let Jono do ANY OF THAT STUFF. *Bitter*

I just… omg… poor Paige. She is such a good character and doesn’t deserve what has been given to her.
    /crying-face-emoji! That's my only reaction to all that. ;P

I finished it. Oh maaaaaaan. Just terrible. And as someone who is not a big fan of the Hickman era, I gotta say the buildup wasn’t worth it. What with the way Age of X-Man and Uncanny turned out to be. Shame, shame.

I just got to finish up with New Mutants and then go BACK to Gen X Vol 1 and find those issues. Which I feel like that’s going to be pretty easy and I got most of the important stuff. Any issue recommendations?
    Yeah, they really put the mutants through hell before giving us a Hickman utopia (such as it is).

You should just read Gen X Vol 1 issues 1-25 straight to get the taste of modern comics out of your mouth. I seem to recall Chamber had some good parts in some of the Generation X annuals, too.

The whole "personality of Jono" issues vs. "development of his powers" issues debate will be put to the test in the storyline he had with the deaf goth girl in New York. Always made me a little sad they never developed anything for Jono and Penny (who was originally a deaf mutant).
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg

Oh right, we had some Spurrier Jono before that got taken away from us, too... Well then yeah, Spurrier's take was good, too!

I know all the other kids were the same age and the New X-Men generation have been teenagers for like 20 years, lol, but babies grow quickly, so maybe that could explain it? XD

Yeah, they shouldn't have reverse-aged him back to baby status. ^_^;; But I'm sure they'll come up with a storyline to super-age him straight to teenager any day now, so meh.

/crying-face-emoji! That's my only reaction to all that. ;P

Yeah, they really put the mutants through hell before giving us a Hickman utopia (such as it is).

You should just read Gen X Vol 1 issues 1-25 straight to get the taste of modern comics out of your mouth. I seem to recall Chamber had some good parts in some of the Generation X annuals, too.

The whole "personality of Jono" issues vs. "development of his powers" issues debate will be put to the test in the storyline he had with the deaf goth girl in New York. Always made me a little sad they never developed anything for Jono and Penny (who was originally a deaf mutant).
    You’re so neat with your posting, I commend you.

Uhg, it gets so confusing with the ages being all over the place. Especially Paige?! She was what 17 in Gen X? Then Austen’s run happened. How old was she?

Jono was 18 when introduced. Then he went to college and was still 18. After M-Day happened he was said to be a teen. Then in New Warriors he tells Jubilee that she was the closest one to him “over the years”.

Then there’s Jubilee who was like 16 when introduced, deaged to 13 in Gen X… but I think after Loebdell left, she was 16 again. Then she was a vampire and said to be 17.

Then Shogo gets introduced and is a toddler for a run and maybe for Paige’s sake we just shouldn’t think about it too much.

OMG! That is true! All babies either or background or become teens. It is comic law. O_O Maybe they can just skip that and he can become an adult… but then he’ll just disappear in the background. Hmm…

Right? These kids all complaining about how they look and how nobody gets them, like HELLLOOOOOO They were in Jono’s class!

I think a big issue is how much ooc happened and is happening to make it work. Just uhhh…

Noted! Got those down!

I think a problem is Jono has been around for many a year, but the poor lad hasn’t had much time to shine outside of Generation X Vol 1. We just get him in bits and pieces. So his personality is kinda all over the place.

I basically finished the recommended reading list. I’m going to start on tracking good examples of his powers now.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;

You’re so neat with your posting, I commend you.
    Aww, thanks. ^^

Uhg, it gets so confusing with the ages being all over the place. Especially Paige?! She was what 17 in Gen X? Then Austen’s run happened. How old was she?

Jono was 18 when introduced. Then he went to college and was still 18. After M-Day happened he was said to be a teen. Then in New Warriors he tells Jubilee that she was the closest one to him “over the years”.

Then there’s Jubilee who was like 16 when introduced, deaged to 13 in Gen X… but I think after Loebdell left, she was 16 again. Then she was a vampire and said to be 17.
    Lol, well, one fun way I like to measure Generation X's run is by the number of holiday issues. It's been a while since I read it, but if you're going through it now, I'm pretty sure they had at least two, maybe even three Christmases over the course of Gen X Vol. 1.

So, judging by that alone (and assuming they don't live in a world with multiple Christmases per year), plus the fact that some time had passed since Gen X at that point, it's legit for Chamber to say to Jubilee "over the years." They never like to specify how many years for just this reason... the problem with the ages.

If it was three Christmases, that explains 13 to 16 for Jubilee. ;D

Their ages at the beginning of Generation X were established in the Collector's Preview... I think it was something like 13 and a half for Jubilee and "a very hard 14" for Penance... 16 for Monet...

Back in 2015, I posted this:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation/page35

Generation X collector's preview-Oct. 1994:

Jubilee: 13 and a half
    Penance: 14
    Skin: 15
    Synch: 16
    M: 16
    Husk: 17
    Chamber: 18
    Mondo: 19

So I'm assuming those are correct.

Wow, Skin was only 15 when it started... And was probably only a year or two older when he died. Too young, man!

EDIT2:

The same source says:

Uncanny X-MEN #440-April 2004:

Husk: 19 (two years since Generation X began).

So yeah, Skin was 17 when he died. :/ ...Still, Synch was probably still 16 or 17 when he died, too.
    Since then, I've actually bought that Collector's Preview, so I can check, but I'd rather not go digging for it, lol. I think of note is the fact that we were thinking about two years had passed in the Marvel Universe the ten real years since Gen X came out in 1994. If you apply that (albeit flimsy) logic that two years in Marvel time is equal to ten years of real life time, it's been 5 or maybe 5 and a half years since Generation X began. Which is of course hilarious because in real life, we've moved waaaaaay past the '90s. But, eh, sliding time scale.

That's great that you're basically finished with the recommended reading list.

It's probably a silly question, but you have Chamber's miniseries on the list, right? I forget exactly when it happened, but it was after Generation X ended...
    Prεtty Pεnny

This stuff about ages reminds me that Monet.... hasn't acted like a teen recently at all. In fact a lot of writers seem to portray her as in her 20s?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    This stuff about ages reminds me that Monet.... hasn't acted like a teen recently at all. In fact a lot of writers seem to portray her as in her 20s?
    I think the Gen X kids have been unofficially moved up to "early 20s" so that they can credibly teach/supervise the young'uns, whereas the New Mutant kids remain "mid 20s" and the X-Men remain somehow perennially young despite the fact that they should be in their 30s and 40s at the very least, to be the adults in the room.
    Prεtty Pεnny

Aww, thanks. ^^

Lol, well, one fun way I like to measure Generation X's run is by the number of holiday issues. It's been a while since I read it, but if you're going through it now, I'm pretty sure they had at least two, maybe even three Christmases over the course of Gen X Vol. 1.

So, judging by that alone (and assuming they don't live in a world with multiple Christmases per year), plus the fact that some time had passed since Gen X at that point, it's legit for Chamber to say to Jubilee "over the years." They never like to specify how many years for just this reason... the problem with the ages.

If it was three Christmases, that explains 13 to 16 for Jubilee. ;D

Their ages at the beginning of Generation X were established in the Collector's Preview... I think it was something like 13 and a half for Jubilee and "a very hard 14" for Penance... 16 for Monet...

Back in 2015, I posted this:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation/page35

Since then, I've actually bought that Collector's Preview, so I can check, but I'd rather not go digging for it, lol. I think of note is the fact that we were thinking about two years had passed in the Marvel Universe the ten real years since Gen X came out in 1994. If you apply that (albeit flimsy) logic that two years in Marvel time is equal to ten years of real life time, it's been 5 or maybe 5 and a half years since Generation X began. Which is of course hilarious because in real life, we've moved waaaaaay past the '90s. But, eh, sliding time scale.

That's great that you're basically finished with the recommended reading list.

It's probably a silly question, but you have Chamber's miniseries on the list, right? I forget exactly when it happened, but it was after Generation X ended...
    I suppose the holiday issues do count… but then again how many have all these other character’s gone though? Do they just like combine them or something? HMM…

Yes, you are correct about the collector’s preview ages. I was gushing over it when I was getting the list together. Do want. Much jealous of you.

I guess if Paige was 19, it wouldn’t be too bad, but then what about Jono being a teen after M-Day, was he just barely 19 or something? Man all that happened to him in maybe 2 years. Sheesh.

So would Jono be like 21 or something? I’ll be honest when I say that I don’t want the writers finagling around with Jubilee’s age too much. We don’t want Jono to get the Warren treatment and look like a creeper. ^^;;

Yes! It has been included! That is totes essential reading. I think I have it after the first Uncanny series. Since he joined the X-Men in the Poptopia arc, his series would have to occur after that. But I think it might have been published as that was happening or just after Poptopia. I remember the writer and artist nerding out over him joining the X-Men and over Bachalo.

@marharkman: It does seem that way! Sometimes she seems to be the oldest one in the group!

@Starleafgirl: I think everyone ignores the O5 as being so young. There’s just no way. They don’t even act like it.

Yes, you are correct about the collector’s preview ages. I was gushing over it when I was getting the list together. Do want. Much jealous of you.
    It's available on eBay; that's where I bought it, years ago, but it's probably more expensive now than back when I got it. ^_^;;

So would Jono be like 21 or something? I’ll be honest when I say that I don’t want the writers finagling around with Jubilee’s age too much. We don’t want Jono to get the Warren treatment and look like a creeper. ^^;;
    Haha, that'll never happen unless he starts creepin' on a student, which I don't THINK would ever happen, but who knows with these writers...

Yes! It has been included! That is totes essential reading. I think I have it after the first Uncanny series. Since he joined the X-Men in the Poptopia arc, his series would have to occur after that. But I think it might have been published as that was happening or just after Poptopia. I remember the writer and artist nerding out over him joining the X-Men and over Bachalo.
    Great! Ah yes, that all sounds about right, from my fuzzy recollection of those early post-GenX years.

@Starleafgirl: I think everyone ignores the O5 as being so young. There’s just no way. They don’t even act like it.
    The O5 should definitely be the oldest -- their young selves went back to the '60s (or the Marvel cultural equivalent of the '60s), lol.
    Prεtty Pεnny

Boooo! The yellow has stuck around. Laaaaaaame.

Also apologies for not responding or updating the lists. I forgot to respond. My bad.

The list… gonna be very honest here, my dog was recently diagnosed with cancer and it has got me all sorts of stressed and I just haven’t had it in me to get those issues together.

That said, if you have a specific issue or set or issues you feel would showcase Jono’s power’s please post them and I’ll add it right on in there.
    Last edited by Rufio; 03-18-2022 at 11:13 PM.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I listened to the Cerebro podcast episode on Chamber the other day. It was great, but it also drove me a little crazy because the entire time they pronounced his name John-O and in my head I've always pronounced it Joe-No.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I listened to the Cerebro podcast episode on Chamber the other day. It was great, but it also drove me a little crazy because the entire time they pronounced his name John-O and in my head I've always pronounced it Joe-No.
    :’O Will have to find it. Thanks!

OMG! Me too! That’s how I pronounced it until someone explained that since it’s short for Jonothon, it’s John-O, and I have never been the same since.

Oh I forgot this was out, thank you for the heads up. It's a fun and very interesting listen. Ah yes Jono is pronounced John-o. Us Brits with our weird habit of sticking a o on the end of of names. But that accent they keep trying. That wasn't cockney!! Or one of many UK accents 😭It's bad to my English ears. They missed a few things, probably because Gen X back issues are hard to find (shakes fist at Marvel Unlimited). And no one really wants to reads New Warriors, they rip the hell out of that lol. But it's a good listen. Love that they go into how much Synchs death affected him in his reluctance to fight and be part of the X-men. His want of being normal and away from death. And whole Poptopia talk about how the UK views mutants was interesting. Love that they think he's sexy and his humanity (and being a daft sod) in the face of him believing he's a monster.

@Rufio Please don't worry about the list. You and your dog matter more. I'm so very sorry to hear they're ill. I hope everything goes well. I lost my own boyo years ago so my heart goes out to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Salemdelight View Post
    Oh I forgot this was out, thank you for the heads up. It's a fun and very interesting listen. Ah yes Jono is pronounced John-o. Us Brits with our weird habit of sticking a o on the end of of names. But that accent they keep trying. That wasn't cockney!! Or one of many UK accents ��It's bad to my English ears. They missed a few things, probably because Gen X back issues are hard to find (shakes fist at Marvel Unlimited). And no one really wants to reads New Warriors, they rip the hell out of that lol. But it's a good listen. Love that they go into how much Synchs death affected him in his reluctance to fight and be part of the X-men. His want of being normal and away from death. And whole Poptopia talk about how the UK views mutants was interesting. Love that they think he's sexy and his humanity (and being a daft sod) in the face of him believing he's a monster.

@Rufio Please don't worry about the list. You and your dog matter more. I'm so very sorry to hear they're ill. I hope everything goes well. I lost my own boyo years ago so my heart goes out to you.
    Oh, I laughed soooo hard. That whole podcast was so funny. XD I almost cried, I needed that laugh. Haaaaaaa

Yeah, the accents were bad but so so funny. lol

And when they go back to talking about New Warriors and it is so funny. Ha ha. I hate that run so much and so did the hosts.

Their whole conversation sounds like this thread reads.

Thanks, Salem. I appreciate it, but really suggest me issues. I need to stay busy.

I’m sorry for your loss. It’s never easy.
    Last edited by Rufio; 03-19-2022 at 09:55 PM.

Boooo! The yellow has stuck around. Laaaaaaame.
    Lol, yeah, if they're going to stick Chamber and Husk in yellow, the least they could do is show them together...

Also apologies for not responding or updating the lists. I forgot to respond. My bad.

The list… gonna be very honest here, my dog was recently diagnosed with cancer and it has got me all sorts of stressed and I just haven’t had it in me to get those issues together.

That said, if you have a specific issue or set or issues you feel would showcase Jono’s power’s please post them and I’ll add it right on in there.
    Very sorry about your dog; I don't know what your treatment options are, but based on my experience with my cats, radiation therapy is better than chemotherapy, when/if applicable: https://www.csuanimalcancercenter.or...ons-radiation/

Don't worry about the list for now, it'll still be here whenever you feel up to it. But of course, if you are looking to stay busy, I think Generation X and Chamber's mini had the best powers feats for him... Wasn't there one Gen X annual where he died and was able to reconstitute his body from pure energy? Wow. Maybe it wasn't an annual...

What the / Who the frick is John-O??

I agree, it's totally Joe-No. ;D

And Jonothon is either Joe-no-thin or if you insist, Joe-no-thon.

The internet agrees with me:

https://www.names.org/n/jonothon/about#pronunciation

Quote Originally Posted by Salemdelight View Post
    Oh I forgot this was out, thank you for the heads up. It's a fun and very interesting listen. Ah yes Jono is pronounced John-o. Us Brits with our weird habit of sticking a o on the end of of names.
    Oh... well... until they put him in a movie or cartoon or something, we can all keep saying it however we want, haha.

Anyway, sounds like the podcast was good. ;D

Oh, I laughed soooo hard. That whole podcast was so funny. XD I almost cried, I needed that laugh. Haaaaaaa

Yeah, the accents were bad but so so funny. lol

And when they go back to talking about New Warriors and it is so funny. Ha ha. I hate that run so much and so did the hosts.

Their whole conversation sounds like this thread reads.
    Sounds awesome, then.

I'm glad everyone hated that New Warriors run!
    Prεtty Pεnny