Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Why is that? Sexism is still a prevalent topic in gaming, why are people so against it?
    She should have given it it's editorial if she wanted to get that off her chest. Not hijack a discussion about Red Dead 2 to get on a soapbox for 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    She should have given it it's editorial if she wanted to get that off her chest. Not hijack a discussion about Red Dead 2 to get on a soapbox for 3 minutes.
    But that seems like such a minor thing for people to complain about. As opposed to sexism in video games, which is a major discussion in gaming.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Why is that? Sexism is still a prevalent topic in gaming, why are people so against it?
    As soon as I saw Frosk, I had that feeling in my gut. When she started ranting trying to get her minutes of fame in, I rolled my eyes and turned off the show. In no way am I against it (I'm not speaking for all people), its just that I want to sit back, escape the world's problems, and look forward to a video game.

If you say this show is going to be about a new video game, I expect to watch what was promised. Don't get mad and call people 'sexist' if you hijack a show and talk about something else they didn't want to watch.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 09-28-2022 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    As soon as I saw Frosk, I had that feeling in my gut. When she started ranting trying to get her minutes of fame in, I rolled my eyes and turned off the show. In no way am I against it (I'm not speaking for all people), its just that I want to sit back, escape the world's problems, and look forward to a video game.
    That seems very much like the "football players shouldn't kneel". Sometimes tough conversations need to happen whether you're comfortable about it or not.

And like you said, you turned the TV off. I'm sure most people who didn't want to hear about sexism in video games did the same. Why turn it into a big deal by rallying against the host? It just seems so odd to me.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its like if say ...someone has a show about making food. Then the guest suddenly decides... "Ok...Lisa , I gotta stop you and discuss the obvious issues with growth hormone in food..." Then goes on a rant while the guests wanna discuss the food being made. Not a discussion about hormones in food.

There is obvious a time and place where discussions of sexism can take place. And where its obvious they shouldn't. And in Frosk's case she picked the wrong stupid time to do this. All because she had gotten some things wrong and there was a few trolls mocking her looks. The moment you give trolls power you lose and she should have just ignored that aspect.

But the whole getting some things wrong happens and its easy to laugh it off , joking. Instead she took it all as one big thing all together. Not realizing there is legit game critiques and there is legit trolls. No one cares if your bangable as Munn or Webb. No sensible person watching game stuff cares for that nonsense.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

But that seems like such a minor thing for people to complain about. As opposed to sexism in video games, which is a major discussion in gaming.
    It was the wrong place for such a discussion. If I come for one thing and got something else don't expect me to be fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It was the wrong place for such a discussion. If I come for one thing and got something else don't expect me to be fine with it.
    Meh. It seems like it's always the wrong place for such a discussion and whenever someone does bring up sexism in any medium, the trolls immediately come out in full force.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't get what was controversial, saying women shouldn't be viewed as objects that exist purely for the male gaze is like saying water is wet so why get upset when someone talk about it?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't get what was controversial, saying women shouldn't be viewed as objects that exist purely for the male gaze is like saying water is wet so why get upset when someone talk about it?
    I think it was more than just saying this. It was more like Frosk didn't realize what old G4 was and how it used Munn and Webb on TV. A lot of clips of them in some....wild spots happened. Old G4 sold that image and the way it sounded Frosk was saying they didn't. Then we had the stories come out that , yes there was some terrible trolls mocking her over her appearance which sucks. But there are terrible folks online and that won't ever change. So its best to ignore those people and focus on the good aspects.

But she decided to lump those with legit critiques that she got a few things wrong on exclusives for consoles and more. So it seemed like she lumped all of that together.

The final part was the seemingly bad spot she decided to do this with. Where everyone was discussing issues with Red Dead Redemption II and suddenly it became a shoot style promo on sexism which....didn't fit anything here.

After this New G4 expected a huge controversial rally point in essence. They wanted this deal to attract more viewers to rally around Frosk and grow the brand of course. They promoted it heavy and thought ...ok we saw these discussions before and its an older popular point so we can use this. Instead....

It didn't happen. The people destructed the entire thing and New G4 lost viewers in quick fashion. Any momentum they had suddenly went kaput. They 2 months in tried switching things up on YouTube with channels to grow and they used an E-Girl to promote the old G4 aspect of having women be easy on the eyes in a bikini discussing blue balls in a ball pit.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I think it was more than just saying this. It was more like Frosk didn't realize what old G4 was and how it used Munn and Webb on TV. A lot of clips of them in some....wild spots happened. Old G4 sold that image and the way it sounded Frosk was saying they didn't. Then we had the stories come out that , yes there was some terrible trolls mocking her over her appearance which sucks. But there are terrible folks online and that won't ever change. So its best to ignore those people and focus on the good aspects.

But she decided to lump those with legit critiques that she got a few things wrong on exclusives for consoles and more. So it seemed like she lumped all of that together.

The final part was the seemingly bad spot she decided to do this with. Where everyone was discussing issues with Red Dead Redemption II and suddenly it became a shoot style promo on sexism which....didn't fit anything here.

After this New G4 expected a huge controversial rally point in essence. They wanted this deal to attract more viewers to rally around Frosk and grow the brand of course. They promoted it heavy and thought ...ok we saw these discussions before and its an older popular point so we can use this. Instead....

It didn't happen. The people destructed the entire thing and New G4 lost viewers in quick fashion. Any momentum they had suddenly went kaput. They 2 months in tried switching things up on YouTube with channels to grow and they used an E-Girl to promote the old G4 aspect of having women be easy on the eyes in a bikini discussing blue balls in a ball pit.
    It wasn't her saying that at all, she wasn't saying G4 didn't do that in the past she was saying it was wrong that it happened period...and she's 100% right in making that statement. Again, what she said was water is wet, that's how basic and uncontroversial it should be to say that women shouldn't be seen and used purely as objects of sexual gratification. That it isn't uncontroversial to state that is just sad and there's no defense for it.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

It wasn't her saying that at all, she wasn't saying G4 didn't do that in the past she was saying it was wrong that it happened period...and she's 100% right in making that statement. Again, what she said was water is wet, that's how basic and uncontroversial it should be to say that women shouldn't be seen and used purely as objects of sexual gratification. That it isn't uncontroversial to state that is just sad and there's no defense for it.
    Has there been issues with sexism in gaming ? Yes. Frosk's statement was..."Olivia Munn and Webb didn't exist to be easy on the eyes for you..." which sounded like she didn't realize the image they sold on the older one.

Do you do what Sarkeesion did with a video series geared towards that and topic ? Yeah ...do that. Do it where your gonna actually have a discussion. If New G4 had invited her on to discuss that video game series (no idea if she completed it or not) and we get that....then perfect. Its the time and place then to discuss it.

You don't suddenly during a fun video game discussion decide to switch up to ..."Sexism in gaming..." its like I joked about the food show and how people just aren't geared for that. Plus G4 as a platform before was never big into political issues or social discussions of sexism. The older audience likely saw this and just wasn't gonna take it. They watch guys like Jirard and Scott the Woz not for deep social political statements. They watch to see Jirard complete 100% of Devil May Cry 5 and laugh over his struggles with said game. Or Woz over what he collects etc.

This was one of those...the older audience wasn't gonna buy it. Then the newer audience never materialized as they expected.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Has there been issues with sexism in gaming ? Yes. Frosk's statement was..."Olivia Munn and Webb didn't exist to be easy on the eyes for you..." which sounded like she didn't realize the image they sold on the older one.
    If that is the case, then yeah, that sounds like she was making misguided comments. But to label this minor misstatement as a controversy is wild to me.

What should be more controversial is that anyone thought we needed a G4 in 2022 in the first place.

If that is the case, then yeah, that sounds like she was making misguided comments. But to label this minor misstatement as a controversy is wild to me.

What should be more controversial is that anyone thought we needed a G4 in 2022 in the first place.
    I don't think it's a misguided statement at all, she wasn't saying that G4 didn't include Munn and others for sex appeal(it was very obvious that they did) it was that exploitive behavior like that was wrong...which is true and shouldn't be uncontroversial. That statements like that advocating that women not be treated as sex objects turned people off paints a real sad picture of those people.

Well, water is not really wet, water makes other things feel wet.

Well, it’s official: G4TV is shutting down all operations effectively immediately