Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default The G4 Controversy ....

At one time G4 Network was one of those places many of us would watch. It was a network where Adam Sessler , Kevin Pereira , Olivia Munn , Chris Gore and others had fun showing video games and movies. The network as a whole had a fun early MTV 1980s vibe as things seemed so ..unplanned. Or not as refined as a network with its VJ's then or what would happen.

The biggest star created on G4 clearly was Olivia Munn. A beautiful brunette 25 year old woman who went from local news to suddenly being showcased on the network. Men loved the beautiful Munn and she gave off a fun vibe. A lot of her comedy was not PC now from diving into a cream filled tube to throwing her underwear in a spot in a pile. It was silly college style humor and G4 as I posted had that MTV vibe.

The network however struggled and by the early 2010's was in terrible shape money wise behind the scenes. The network lost advertisers from reports and then Munn left for a Hollywood career. G4 never could recover and by 2014 would be folded after cancelling its 2 longest running , left video game shows. It was the end of an era and G4 was done.

In its place as G4 was gone the rise of YouTube personalities and shows like Game Chasers , The Completionist , Angry Video Game Nerd and more took its place to fans. The G4 fans had moved onto YouTube as the new media to watch. With creators like James Rolfe there to usher in this era. While not a network the era of G4 had seemingly passed.

Then in 2020 like a phoenix the return of G4 Network was announced. Older fans who remembered the silliness and humor of the past brand thought the show would be great. Comcast was sinking tons of money into the relaunch and old favorites like Adam Sessler and Kevin Pereria were back ! There was talk that Olivia Munn would be back as well and given a bigger role given her "star power" now in Hollywood. She was someone older fans still held in high regard because as I posted above fans loved her for her looks and the fact she seemed to love video games she covered.

The idea of the relaunch by Comcast was to bring back the G4 brand on streaming like Twitch and YouTube , plus create an E-Sports team. It was a grand plan and the 2021 relaunch all seemed in perfect way to bring back something older fans had fond memories of. But much like the relaunch of New ECW by the WWE and the New Monkees ....sometimes you can't go home again.

The 1st trouble seemed to be G4 couldn't get a deal worked out with Olivia Munn. The biggest star G4 had created is now not around the product that clearly Comcast needed at relaunch. Its likely her price point became an issue or behind the scenes issues (one Youtuber covered this) . Now I can't say for sure why Munn isn't involved but the older fans clearly missed her and Morgan Webb (the lady who followed).

The other problem was the changing eras and how politics have destroyed this country at times. Now I'm a Democrat and vote that way 99% of the time. I am not a Republican but as others pulled up statements some hosts made they don't support Republicans. I mean they legit seem to be anger at those who vote that way judging from the statements online people have puled up . I have friends and family who vote Republican and while I don't agree with them I still value them around me and can handle the differences.

This would lead into the current controversy.

New G4 started hiring a new Generation of people to do game reviews and more. They grabbed 2 YouTube stars in Scott the Woz (his content is pretty decent) and Jirard who does The Completionist. They also signed others like The Black Hokage and Indiana Black (aka Frosk). She from experience with E-Sports scene and paired them with older stars like Sessler and Pereria. This seemed like a wise plan to get popular YouTubers and build the new G4 up with them now. To bring the viewers they can have.

The main channel seemed to be growing slowly and while not huge numbers ; G4 had close to 500,000+ subscribers and they even had a great new studio to film in. Things seemed to be slowly building for them. Then in January in a move that clearly did not work as expected...G4 hit its controversial moment.

-

- "...Olivia Munn and Morgan Webb did not exist to be easy on the eyes for you..." - part of Frosk's speech on sexism.

During a much played and clipped spot as the hosts were discussing Red Dead Redemption II ; Indiana Black decided to discuss something else. This moment has been one many has said likely hurt the relaunch more than helped. At the time G4 felt it was obvious that this would cause a major rallying moment but it backfired seemingly.

Now I do agree that women deserve a place in gaming and there shouldn't be sexism. That much is true but at this point things went off the rails as Frosk detailed how Olivia Munn and Morgan Webb weren't there to be objects for male viewers. Not realizing that ...original G4 hired them for that factor to lure male viewers then and there is content they shot that was basically for that. It was not knowing the prior brand that didn't seem to help as well as some mistakes others detailed she made in video game spots. (which we all make mistakes on and I didn't see it as a major problem)

The entire speech is on YouTube and been clipped apart by many...many...many YouTubers. While I can understand her anger at the issue of sexism and people being mean sure. It was really just an odd place to suddenly go into this timed rant which it seems G4 was hoping would create a buzz.

Years ago Eric Bischoff wrote a book called "Controversy Creates $$$". In it Bischoff detailed his rise at creating controversies in WCW at raiding the WWF then to grow WCW and make it profitable. Good controversy can do this at times. But sometimes...and as New G4 learned it also...can not work.

In the days following it many YouTube people ripped the new G4 apart for it and actually had their channels grow in views. While G4 lost subscribers. As one YouTuber pointed out in a non-bias moment ; the era of original G4 was different than today's era of YouTube. There are hundreds of great channels and more doing content that people will watch now rather than the era of G4 being near the only game in town at one point. This was gonna be a hard sell to relaunch G4 as a whole and the controversy doesn't help.

Being honest now...as a viewer I'll always watch The Completionist when I can or Scott the Woz. I do wish more YouTubers like that had been signed to do shows etc like James Rolfe. I'll hope G4 can survive this. I also hope things settle down with political anger. One thing should unite us as video game fans...its loving video games and we should all play and enjoy them. With no thoughts on who we support politically.

Now this is an opinion piece and nothing more. Your thoughts on New G4 and the situation right now going on ?
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 02-12-2022 at 11:35 PM.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Frosk rather than address the faults she's been having since joining G4 she decided to use a play from the Ghostbusters 2016 playbook. Adam Sessler was a damn tool during her rant. She is exposing you trying to defend herself and you sit their clapping.

I know the **** Frosk has been catching is carry over from when she was involved with league of legends. I don't follow league so I'm not sure what happened there.

Yesterday G4 Announced that 20-30 of staff have been laid off. As the new G4 has started to crumble finally.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Yesterday G4 Announced that 20-30 of staff have been laid off. As the new G4 has started to crumble finally.
    And yet Frosk has the audacity to gloat about keeping her job.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Well usually the staff goes 1st , then we see the on air people go next. And as one article claims a number of shows will get cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    That was a dick move. Her rant cause the downward spiral that resulted in those jobs being lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    That was a dick move. Her rant cause the downward spiral that resulted in those jobs being lost.
    It absolutely was a big factor and her reaction to all this proves how much of a garbage human being she really is when it comes down to it.

And today Frosk was fired. Comcast announced they had let her go and worked out a release basically.

This pretty much has to make companies question dealing with her ahead. So she has talent...sure. But she pretty much caused the New G4 to.death spiral.

If "gamers" can't take a 3 minute rant against sexism then should get lost. I support Frosk she was the only thing worth watching that the new G4, but then the old G4 was awful POS network that destroyed TechTV. They fired her then **** the new G4.

Then in 2020 like a phoenix the return of G4 Network was announced.
    Now this is an opinion piece and nothing more. Your thoughts on New G4 and the situation right now going on ?
    Yes? Did someone call, lol?

I have not seen the renewed show.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    If "gamers" can't take a 3 minute rant against sexism then should get lost. I support Frosk she was the only thing worth watching that the new G4, but then the old G4 was awful POS network that destroyed TechTV. They fired her then **** the new G4.
    They did. That's why G4 is in it's current situation. Clearly Frosk didn't have enough supporters to keep the network afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Or you do the rant at a time where your discussing that topic. Instead of hijacking a discussion not there.

You could see Jirard the Completionist know...this is not going well. Not with her claims that the old G4 didn't have Olivia Munn and the other lady for sex appeal. Not with what they aired then.

Plus as people brought up new G4 once viewership started to react within a month or 2 had Amarouth (spelling sorry) pop out of a ball pit in a bikini. Trying to be like old G4. It was wild to see that.

New G4 continues to crumble. Kevin Pereria is gone. There are rumors Adam Sessler is also gone.

Comcast is cleaning house.

New G4 continues to crumble. Kevin Pereria is gone. There are rumors Adam Sessler is also gone.

Comcast is cleaning house.
    Might as well axe the whole thing. Who is left?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Might as well axe the whole thing. Who is left?
    Jirard and Scott the Woz I believe. Those are 2 I know.