Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default How do you feel about Keaton becoming the 'main' Batman of the DCEU?

Between all the theories and rumors about how The Flash ends, coupled with Keaton's involvement in Batgirl (which seems to be set in the 'main' DCEU if JK Simmon's presence is any indication), it does seem increasingly likely that Keaton is going to replace Affleck as the 'main' Batman of the DCEU...with Pattison staying in his own self-contained universe (aka ''Earth 2'').

So how do you feel about the fact that Keaton's Batman, far from making a one-off return, is going to be an integral part of the character's future on film moving forward? Is it a regressive move, or is the original Batman of the big-screen (well, not counting Adam West) finally getting his due after 30 years? Is the fact that we're getting a 70 year Batman limiting to the character or an interesting new direction (especially when contrasted with Pattison's younger Batman)? Are Affleck and Pattison getting a raw deal due to a pandering to nostalgia? And in the long run will this strengthen or cheapen Keaton's Batman legacy (and the legacy of those two Burton films)?

Keaton is too old. Christian Bale would have been my first choice for the main' Batman of the DCEU.

I never saw the Burton Batman movies so I'm disinterested. But Keaton being the main Batman benefits the Batfamily more so those fans should be happy.

Extraordinary Member

It’s accurate for a man who adopted an 8 year old who is now 28-30

Bruce Wayne shouldn’t be a young man, I understand his peers Supes and WW age slower

I mean, it makes sense in the sense that he's not the "main" Batman. At this point he's basically retired so they can, presumably, push the protege's like Babs and maybe Dick/Jason if they can get around to them. We're not going to see him as active as Pattinson or Batfleck. And maybe make old Bruce Wayne the new DC Nick Fury.

Which isn't personally my ideal scenario but we'll see how it plays out.

He’s basically there to give the Batman boost to all the Batfamily spin-offs they’re planning to make, so it’s a good thing if you like the wider Batfamily. And if you don’t you’ve got Battison who doesn’t have any Batfamily or other heroes encroaching on his turf. Feels like a win for everyone (except Affleck fanboys but Affleck is the one who wanted out).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He’s basically there to give the Batman boost to all the Batfamily spin-offs they’re planning to make, so it’s a good thing if you like the wider Batfamily. And if you don’t you’ve got Battison who doesn’t have any Batfamily or other heroes encroaching on his turf. Feels like a win for everyone (except Affleck fanboys but Affleck is the one who wanted out).
    I liked Ben as Bats, but I also respect his decision to bow out.

As for Keaton; I'd good with it. His was the first film Batman I ever watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It's just disappointing if you want both (a core, active, Batman with a Batfamily).

I think it's dope. Too much whiney whiney. Keaton was awesome, Affleck was awesome. I think the flash movie will be fun. I suppose my feelings on this are not as whiney/serious because I'm more focused on matt reeves universe because that's going to be a masterpiece. I am not a fan of all the batgirls and batwoman bs In the batman mythos. I'm more of a year one boots on the ground noir batman so all these new dceu films are like " ok" since the best part of batman is being taken care of elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I liked Ben as Bats, but I also respect his decision to bow out.

As for Keaton; I'd good with it. His was the first film Batman I ever watched.
    To me Affleck will always be the best Batman who never got a solo movie.

Keaton as Batman is nostalgia/wish fulfillment for me. The guy’s aged well, and while I’m not sure what his overall role will end up being I’d take him over Bale (who’s Batman and movies I do not like outside of specific villains and supporting characters) any day.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    It’s accurate for a man who adopted an 8 year old who is now 28-30

Bruce Wayne shouldn’t be a young man, I understand his peers Supes and WW age slower
    If Bruce was 30 when he adopted an 8-year old DG, he would be 50 when DG was a 28-year old Nightwing. Keaton is 70, so if he adopted an 8-year old who is now 28, he would have been 50 when he did so. That would be on the verge of ruling out Batman & Robin ever having been a thing. Definitely not "accurate".

[And this is notwithstanding "would any modern-day telling really have an eight-year old Robin?" - in a situation where you had Batman & Robin together, surely you wouldn't have a Robin younger than his mid-teens against an early-30s Batman, so maybe a 20 year gap.]

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Keaton is too old. Christian Bale would have been my first choice for the main' Batman of the DCEU.
    As much as there's a part of me that'd love to see Bale in the suit again, I'm really glad that didn't happen. Let the Nolanverse remain a closed loop that exists in its own self-contained universe. Bale's Batman got an actual ending which, as the article I've linked below rightly says, is something that hardly any superhero stories on screen ever truly get.

https://www.polygon.com/22917838/the...istopher-nolan

Seems to be a temporary solution because I don't see 70 year old Michael Keaton going for the long run. It's pretty much a corporate fix while they try to restructure their cinematic universe while investing in a safer bet with Mat Reeves and his sandbox Batman. Me personally have no interest in seeing yet another old and tired Batman I almost feel like the "Old man Batman" has become the new "Evil Superman" with the amount of time I've seen it.

Didn't care for Affleck that much and despite loving Keaton and his batman don't really want to see him outside of his own universe, if they made a movie with him and Michelle Pfeiffer set in the future I would want to see it but this with him coming over and being this "mentor figure" on the sideline seems forced and artificial.

If they didn't want no one to compete with Pattinson they should've just not have batman in the shared universe for a while and focus on different characters. A batman that's the same age or older than Jim Gordon will never not be strange to me.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I think it's a really dumb idea made by desperate studio executives but I am still excited as all hell to see him in that suit again.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Seems to be a temporary solution because I don't see 70 year old Michael Keaton going for the long run. It's pretty much a corporate fix while they try to restructure their cinematic universe while investing in a safer bet with Mat Reeves and his sandbox Batman. Me personally have no interest in seeing yet another old and tired Batman I almost feel like the "Old man Batman" has become the new "Evil Superman" with the amount of time I've seen it.
    It is interesting that we tend to constantlty switch between ''Young Batman'' and ''Old(er) Batman'', and seldom get anything much in live-action with veteran Batman in his prime.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ological-order

Last year, I did this post arranging all Batman live-action media in chronological order (irrespective of continuity). It occurred to me that for the last nearly 25 years, since Schumacher's ill-fated Batman & Robin was released, we haven't had a single live-action Batman adaptation set during the prime of Batman's career, when he's working with Robin (and other members of the Bat-family). We've got adaptations set in Batman's early pre-Robin years, and even before Batman, and we've had adaptations with an older Batman later in his career and even after he's seemingly given up the cowl or disappeared...but nothing in the middle years!

Even the upcoming Batgirl film, I suppose, would technically be set in Batman's later career (or even after he retired and then returned) depending on how post-Flash DCEU continuity works.

Didn't care for Affleck that much and despite loving Keaton and his batman don't really want to see him outside of his own universe, if they made a movie with him and Michelle Pfeiffer set in the future I would want to see it but this with him coming over and being this "mentor figure" on the sideline seems forced and artificial.

If they didn't want no one to compete with Pattinson they should've just not have batman in the shared universe for a while and focus on different characters. A batman that's the same age or older than Jim Gordon will never not be strange to me.
    Yeah, that's gonna be a bit strange. Though I suppose there are versions where Gordon isn't that much older than Bruce, but them being the same age or Gordon being younger is just plain weird.

The Batgirl-Batman dynamic will be a bit weird as well, since Batman is now literally old enough to be Batgirl's father and then some. Kinda ironic when you consider that she was probably less than a decade younger than him when she was introduced in the comics (Bruce was perpetually just short of 30 back then, or in his early thirties at most, while Barbara was likely in her mid-twenties).