Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

I'll try not to respond any further guys, sorry for feeding these trollish discussions, but I feel disgusted. I'm trying not to get personal

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    No there isn't, and based on everything that Greg Weisman has done, he is a genuinely thoughtful human being with progressive values, including that of expanding the gender roles.

You don't care about gender equality. You barely even pretend to. You don't see the success of Harley Quinn as a good thing because you don't care about female characters. You don't care about the success of Catwoman or the fact that Cheetah is portrayed as a criminal mastermind that turns into a big scary monster that Selina takes down with a lot of luck.
    I've already explained to you why it was not luck. It was lazy writing and lack of respect for WW lore.

People don't deserve to use the word "feminism" to describe their ugly desires to see Catwoman humiliated, and to say lies like "Catwoman won the fight because Greg Weisman thinks she's sexy".

This thread is a disgrace and travesty that shows the ugly truth that some people just want reasons to be angry and to insult others.
    Beg your pardon but cool down. Nobody said anything about wanting to see Catwoman humiliated.

Diana isn't the type of heroine that claims the oppressed should oppress others. And everyone here that wants to see Wonder Woman and her universe humiliated others ,out of a sense of revenge and vindication, should gobback to reading the comics, and remember what the lessons these characters were trying to teach us.
    Nobody here "wants to see Wonder Woman and her universe humiliated others ,out of a sense of revenge and vindication," they just want to see WW and her lore treated with respect. The same degree of respect that is shown to Superman and Batman, since DC claims those three are "the Trinity."

Is that really so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Weisman is a cis het male author, so if course he can never have a 100% perfect perspective on feminist writing. We are all only human. But looking at his larger body of work, he is consistent in doing well with female characters. Artemis and Megan are very well regarded, as are all the female characters in Spec Spiderman. And he created Eliza Maza, Demona, Angela, Fox, Titania, Hyena, etc for Gargoyles. All if whom are very layered and cool.

I have zero interest in this movie and the reasoning behind Cheetah being in it was dumb. But it's a creative misfire, we don't have to call the dude sexist over it. Are we really mad that Catwoman was sexualized when a lot of her appeal is "sexy thief"? And she wasn't sexualized during the "cat fight" anyway
    Yeah, I am not too big on how he's handled WW, Zatanna, Cheshire and Donna on the show but I wouldn't call him sexist either. With a cast that's as huge as YJ's, of course there is going to be misfires. The man has wrote and produced some of the most diverse and inclusive shows on television and has wrote layered and complex female characters time and time again. So calling him sexist based solely on how he handled one character's power levels is a huge stretch at best.

Also, this is going to be controversial but all these power level discussions that's spilling outside of it's own dedicated thread, spinning off into multiple separate threads and simultaneously spilling off into other WW related threads is starting to look less like a genuine complaint and criticism and more like attention mongering.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Not to mention that there are plenty of people who arent fans of how he's treated Superman, Wally, Captain Marvel so he isn't exactly choosing a gender to handle a certain way.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I know you don't care about Harley Quinn, nor do you care about the success of Vixen or Batwoman or Supergirl or Catwoman or any other female character for that matter.

You aren't a feminist, stop pretending to be one

And stop sayig the disgusting lie that Weisman made Catwoman win because she was "sexier". It was her own movie, and there was nothing sexual about the fight.

It's disgusting that someone would go that low and use such a non sensical argument.

And Wonder Woman doesn't stand for revenge. Her values aren't "humiliate those that humiliated you". People here should actually read her comics and learn some morals
    I care about WW. And Dc treats her like trash. You don't want to see the truth. That is a different topic.

Her values are not respected either bewcause they constantly portrayed her as a barbarian and angry warrior woman in most stories these days.

Her value as a girl power icon is not respected either. She is portrayed as a pushover that gets hurt and or beaten by almost anything and anybody.

What SiegePerilous and John Venus said. The only Weisman project I give a thumbs up to is Spec Spider-Man and don't really care for the times Weiseman's shared his thoughts on WW stuff but this is a complete overreaction and an accusation that only seems to be leveled at people who have WW (or Cheetah) lose a fight, regardless of it's to a male or female.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Also, this is going to be controversial but all these power level discussions that's spilling outside of it's own dedicated thread, spinning off into multiple separate threads and simultaneously spilling off into other WW related threads is starting to look less like a genuine complaint and criticism and more like attention mongering.
    You're not alone in that feeling, trust me.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I do not need anybody's attention. But maybe i should just leave this site. Obviously some peoole here do not see ww as being treated poorly. They think her lore is respected and that she is doing great. I feel the opposite and nothing will make me change my mind. Other than dc trrating her better. But since i can not be satisfied with just bread crumbs and it bothers certain people, i should probably just leave. After all, it is more effective to call the writers and dc out and in their face on social media for all the trash they do with ww's treatment.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    That's way post Marston. Sexism was already a factor since the 50s.

Why is SM a different case about being sent almost into space? WW still beat Superwoman both in issue 29 and issue 30. The comics never showed any signs that Superwoman was stronger. And if Black Canary can beat her with jutsu moves. That just goes to prove how comics were and still are an inconsistent mess. Many silly inconsistencies still happen in current comics so it is not a thing from the past.

Many readers turned writers lived through countless of comics writen with sexism in them. So yes, there is a big possibility that they were influenced by them and carried on with sexist attitudes without them knowing. They can and should be blame for many sexist approaches and desicions.
    Maybe I am mis-interpreting the fight, but the creative team back then never really wrote Diana in a good light. So I'm probably being bias. You see, I just cannot agree. If I was a reader writing stories of the 80s-00s, I'll just be writing what I read. It's not sexist, just about finding that writer who gets it. George Perez got Diana, so did other subsequent writers who fans recommend. Some guys just write Superman as the most powerful man on Earth, it can't be helped. Just preference.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I do not need anybody's attention. But maybe i should just leave this site. Obviously some peoole here do not see ww as being treated poorly. They think her lore is respected and that she is doing great. I feel the opposite and nothing will make me change my mind. Other than dc trrating her better. But since i can not be satisfied with just bread crumbs and it bothers certain people, i should probably just leave. After all, it is more effective to call the writers and dc out and in their face on social media for all the trash they do with ww's treatment.
    I don't see no reason to leave, but you do come across very strongly opinionated. Yeah, I don't like how she's often written, but I can't do nothing at the moment. Why not get into writing your own story? It doesn't have to be Wonder Woman, more a pastiche. Take all your frustrations out in your own story?

Nobody said you had to leave or that you shouldn't express your opinion.

Also, nobody here disagrees with you on the point that WW and her mythos is treated poorly by DC.

Just because people aren't 100% on board with your take on things doesn't mean they are suddenly okay with WW being poorly treated. It's not a black and white issue. Just because Weisman didn't have the best take on WW and Cheetah doesn't mean he is sexist, especially when there is evidence to the contrary such as his handling of other female characters. Also have you considered that other fans may value aspects of WW's character besides her ability to punch really hard?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I don't see no reason to leave, but you do come across very strongly opinionated. Yeah, I don't like how she's often written, but I can't do nothing at the moment. Why not get into writing your own story? It doesn't have to be Wonder Woman, more a pastiche. Take all your frustrations out in your own story?
    I do get a sense of 'piling' on by certain posters when mystical41 posts here. Snide comments, or comments that this should be in another thread, or even moderators, even if not for this forum, saying much the same thing.

One of the posters seemed to get very personal and nasty just recently against mystical41 in this thread, but I didn't see any of those posts get tossed out or edited for content.

Mystical41 does have strong opinions, but some here love playing devil's advocate even if they have to know that they are in the wrong. As an example, to say Catwoman is lucky and that is why she won against the Cheetah is monumental levels of wrong, yet they keep claiming that to be the case as if the bad writing wasn't.

Keep up the fight and stay mystical41!

Pointing out that certain subjects have places designated for them isn't being snide or rude. People saying they are tired of every thread being taken over by the same fights isn't being snide or rude. This isn't a woe is me. And accusing others of xy,z for disagreeing gets tiresome. Some want actual, good discussion.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Pointing out that certain subjects have places designated for them isn't being snide or rude. People saying they are tired of every thread being taken over by the same fights isn't being snide or rude. This isn't a woe is me. And accusing others of xy,z for disagreeing gets tiresome. Some want actual, good discussion.
    The same posters are the ones that keep saying this. It is 'piling' on. And there is a bunch of snide and sarcastic comments that are made. Let's not try and say that everyone has some holier than thou motive when they continually use what I call 'snide' or sarcastic comments debating mystical41.

I didn't go after a certain poster who kept making false claims about Xena and her chakram. That would have been piling on and would make it tiresome. But pretty much the same posters seem to continually pile on whenever mystical41 makes comments. That gets tiresome. If he is tiresome to you, then don't bother replying or just ignore his comments. Kind of like I did when the Xena vs Wonder woman bs started on the boomerang thread.

Let's do this then. Anytime someone makes a remark that it is all about character and story, not power levels, take it to a thread specifically about that. We don't need to hear that all the time. It's tiresome!
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 03-09-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    The same posters are the ones that keep saying this. It is 'piling' on. And there is a bunch of snide and sarcastic comments that are made. Let's not try and say that everyone has some holier than thou motive when they continually use what I call 'snide' or sarcastic comments debating mystical41.

I didn't go after a certain poster who kept making false claims about Xena and her chakram. That would have been piling on and would make it tiresome. But pretty much the same posters seem to continually pile on whenever mystical41 makes comments. That gets tiresome. If he is tiresome to you, then don't bother replying or just ignore his comments. Kind of like I did when the Xena vs Wonder woman bs started on the boomerang thread.

Let's do this then. Anytime someone makes a remark that it is all about character and story, not power levels, take it to a thread specifically about that. We don't need to hear that all the time. It's tiresome!
    Lol this is a recurring thing...putting things in people's mouths. No one said any of us are perfect. No one said this is a one sided coin. It's a forum, if you disagree, comment. Saying "dont be sexist" "why are you here" are snide and snarky.

Lets also not talk about false claims, my thoughts on a Chakram vs someone elses doesn't make it false. Some things are very grey, others are not. Calling every male sexiest because they dont utilize a character how one wants them used isn't sexist. I ignore plenty of comments. If you want to "pile on me" about a boomerang go for it