Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The thing is you don't see Riddler and Penguin beating up Doomsday in a physical fight.
    Bane would be a better example as those two would be more cerebral villains. That said, has Giganta lost a fight to anyone in the Bat mythos?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    If she keeps being treated like trash by the writers and editors of course she won't have any memorable stories.
    See, I agree with this. It just takes more than just beat 'em ups and stats to make a memorable story.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    That is not the point.
    So stats only matter when you say so. Got it.

If she keeps getting treated like trash by writers and editors.
    Okay, so let's give her a reason to be memorable. That said, while I love Catwoman, I haven't seen this new animated movie (probably won't until it appears on HBOMax). I can honestly say that her defeating Cheetah does not make me think any better of her. Nor would it have me think any better of Cheetah had it turned out the other way around. Anyone can write a story where one character can beat up another. Writing a story where I actually care about a character enough for me to want them to win? That takes skill.

And every character has a certain used. What is so memorable about Doomsday? What is so complex about the character? His whole thing is being a killing machine that killed Superman and can threat the earth and JL. There isn't much more to him than that.
    I agree, which is why I find him/it to be a boring character. Literally, his entire claim to fame is that he killed Superman once. The writers themselves admitted they had no idea where to take the character after doing that.

Yet do you see the writers and editos constantly using him as a punching bag for street levelers? No. They have more respect for what his stats and level are supposed to be.
    Actually, if you've read the Superman/Batman arc where they reintroduced Supergirl/Kara into the modern era, you'd see otherwise. Not saying that makes it right, but it just goes along with my point that nobody cares about Doomsday enough to care that he wins.

Character moments and good power level porttrayal. One thing doesn't negate the other.
    I agree. But character moments generally lead to better stories. And better stories generally lead to a character like Cheetah being treated the way you want her to.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 02-18-2022 at 12:43 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think a lot of writers still think of Superfriends when they think of Cheetah and probably dont even realize she's a different character whose been "blessed" by a god to amplify her powers. They see her as someone whose superhuman but not SUPER human.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think a lot of writers still think of Superfriends when they think of Cheetah and probably dont even realize she's a different character whose been "blessed" by a god to amplify her powers. They see her as someone whose superhuman but not SUPER human.
    Too bad WW84 didn't give a better portrayal of her (which I don't put on Kristen Wiig, btw. I think she's absolutely great). Maybe then editorial would care enough into giving her some actual character development.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Too bad WW84 didn't give a better portrayal of her (which I don't put on Kristen Wiig, btw. I think she's absolutely great). Maybe then editorial would care enough into giving her some actual character development.
    Yeah its really a shame what they did in that film. Both to Lord and Barb

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    See, I agree with this. It just takes more than just beat 'em ups and stats to make a memorable story.

So stats only matter when you say so. Got it.

Okay, so let's give her a reason to be memorable. That said, while I love Catwoman, I haven't seen this new animated movie (probably won't until it appears on HBOMax). I can honestly say that her defeating Cheetah does not make me think any better of her. Nor would it have me think any better of Cheetah had it turned out the other way around. Anyone can write a story where one character can beat up another. Writing a story where I actually care about a character enough for me to want them to win? That takes skill.

I agree, which is why I find him/it to be a boring character. Literally, his entire claim to fame is that he killed Superman once. The writers themselves admitted they had no idea where to take the character after doing that.

Actually, if you've read the Superman/Batman arc where they reintroduced Supergirl/Kara into the modern era, you'd see otherwise. Not saying that makes it right, but it just goes along with my point that nobody cares about Doomsday enough to care that he wins.

I agree. But character moments generally lead to better stories. And better stories generally lead to a character like Cheetah being treated the way you want her to.
    Not in this case. First you need to re do a long history of Cheetah being known as a weaklink in almost everyfight that isn't against WW. The most basic of her character is supposed to be a formidable powerful opponent and they don't even get that right and affect WW's own reputation as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Yeah its really a shame what they did in that film. Both to Lord and Barb
    Patty Jenkins couldn't create a proper action-powerhouse film even if her life depended on it. So nobody should be surprised. This is why most WW villains will suffer under her. She is not suited for good action and battle scenes. And a lore like WW is supposed to have that. If she could have her way both WW films would have ended with no epic battle moment. And that can work for one film. But you can't have a lore like WW and never get into the power, action spectacle side of her world. Cheetah needed a strong debut. She needed that badly. And jenkins and johns truly let her down. Sad

Mighty Member

And here look what i found. This is the writer that had the male Cheetah fight Superman. Just take a look at what he said about that comic and the issues with the editors. We can only wish editors cared this much about WW and her lore.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLz_eLHa...pg&name=medium
    The sad part is, i am not even surprised about their one-sided super-protection of Superman or the casual sexism at DC, and i am still not to 100% sure how much that has truly changed to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    The sad part is, i am not even surprised about their one-sided super-protection of Superman or the casual sexism at DC, and i am still not to 100% sure how much that has truly changed to this day.
    20 years later not much has changed. See castwoman hunted. And see JL comic. Where Cheetah was about to defeat WW. Until Batman came in a and one shotted Cheetah with an old lex luthor suit. I don't know why some people here still say that sexism isn't a factor.

Because Barbara Minerva isn't the most important female villain

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    And Wonder Woman isn't the most important female heroine according to a lot of people who really like Harley Quinn.

Even villains like Black Manta or Flash villains don't get this level of disrespect. And they aren't the archy enemy of the supposedly most iconic and important female hero of all time.

Mighty Member

Who else is, Circe, Poison Ivy?
    Last edited by Rightoya; 02-19-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Who else is, Circe, Poison Ivy?
    Poison Ivy is a much bigger villain than Cheetah yes.

Mighty Member

Poison Ivy is a much bigger villain than Cheetah yes.
    That is probably true, but just sad, considering that she is typcally not even in the top 5 of Batman villains.