Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Poison Ivy is definitely bigger than Cheetah. Catwoman and Harley Quinn would be too, if they weren't shifted over to anti-heroine status by DC. But beyond those three, I struggle to think of any female villains that can compete with Cheetah in terms of prominence especially after WW84.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Even villains like Black Manta or Flash villains don't get this level of disrespect. And they aren't the archy enemy of the supposedly most iconic and important female hero of all time.
    Look at someone like Granny Goodness. She has appeared a lot in tv shows and even animated movies, and is always a formidable force, alongside the female furies.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Look at someone like Granny Goodness. She has appeared a lot in tv shows and even animated movies, and is always a formidable force, alongside the female furies.
    And? Cheetah has had a lot of of appearances. And has done some pretty impressive stuff power wise. That hasn't stopped DC from treating her like trash most of the time. In fact, WW has done a lot of impressive sruff. Yet we still see her get beaten by batman, struggle with deathstroke etc. So please don't tell me this is about being iconc. Because the most iconic female hero of all time, is still getting treated as a jobber often.

And? Cheetah has had a lot of of appearances. And has done some pretty impressive stuff power wise. That hasn't stopped DC from treating her like trash most of the time. In fact, WW has done a lot of impressive sruff. Yet we still see her get beaten by batman, struggle with deathstroke etc. So please don't tell me this is about being iconc. Because the most iconic female hero of all time, is still getting treated as a jobber often.
    So why is it sexist with Cheetah and not feminist with Granny Goodness?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Poison Ivy is definitely bigger than Cheetah. Catwoman and Harley Quinn would be too, if they weren't shifted over to anti-heroine status by DC. But beyond those three, I struggle to think of any female villains that can compete with Cheetah in terms of prominence especially after WW84.
    Talia? She was in BTAS, Nolan's movies and Arkham games.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So why is it sexist with Cheetah and not feminist with Granny Goodness?
    If granny is respected as a force like you said. That's good. Cheetah is not respected. And the deepest thought that many writers have with her is using her for catfights with catwoman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Talia? She was in BTAS, Nolan's movies and Arkham games.
    I’d say most Bat villainesses by default are bigger names than Cheetah, it’s a shame that they start to become antiheroes or straight up heroic if they become too popular.

I’d honestly say that Cheetah is only sticking around so much because of Superfriends. Her and Giganta, though you don’t see people crying sexism whenever Giganta is portrayed as a dainty woman who can grow massive, when we learn that they had to fight for a muscular framed female character in a Disney movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I’d say most Bat villainesses by default are bigger names than Cheetah, it’s a shame that they start to become antiheroes or straight up heroic if they become too popular.

I’d honestly say that Cheetah is only sticking around so much because of Superfriends. Her and Giganta, though you don’t see people crying sexism whenever Giganta is portrayed as a dainty woman who can grow massive, when we learn that they had to fight for a muscular framed female character in a Disney movie.
    Plus she's the only WW supervillain that people recognize (with Giganta, Ares and to a small extent Circe being a runner up). Most of DC's recent outputs seem to be based more on what previous adaptations did than drawing directly from the comics themselves. And for Cheetah they just default back to her characterization in the DCAU and the DTV movies. Its turned into a perpetual cycle of people thinking that she has all the approximate strength of a cheetah and not a being powered by a God. The WW84 movie failing to nail the landing on the character and doing a definitive take on the character doesn't help matters either.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I'm so sick and tired of this perpetual cycle where people complain about other people complaining about something that we all know is bad anyway. This whole I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say what we got was fine because reasons is only going to continue this. Cheetah got major disrespect, end of story. I don't think they got one thing right about her character, not one: not her motivations, her personality, and especially not her powers, which I feel like I have to constantly remind the same people are a part of character (what someone is capable of is part of who they are). I don't even care which version of Cheetah we are talking about anymore. I don't care if we don't have a "definitive" Cheetah story, because it seems like every time, she is portrayed outside the wonder woman book it is unifying bad on all fronts.

The only reason and I mean the ONLY reason she was in this film, was because the writer wanted a cat fight... I'm sorry, a big cat fight. A film that was poorly made anyway. It was horny cat-puns for dummies 101: the animated adventure.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    That is probably true, but just sad, considering that she is typcally not even in the top 5 of Batman villains.
    Female villains it goes:

1. Harley Quinn
    2. Catwoman
    3. Poison Ivy
    4. Cheetah
    5. Killer Frost
    6. Star Sapphire
    7. Giganta
    8. Circe
    9. Cheshire
    10. Female Furies (mainly Lashina)

Although Blackfire, Terra, Jinx, Enchantress and Amanda Waller might also be on the list considering how popular a franchise Titans and Suicide Squad are.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Anyone can write a story where one character can beat up another.
    But it still has to make sense in the story. That's the point. Nobody would mind Catwoman defeating Cheetah if there was a good reason given. Say, Catwoman drank a potion that gave her temporary super-powers, or a magic talisman or something. That's fine. It's like how Luthor has to wear a robo-suit to fight Superman. Basically you need a way to level the playing field.

That's not what happened in that movie. Catwoman did not have any means of leveling the playing field. Instead what we got was regular Catwoman withstanding a blow from someone whose hits can hurt Wonder Woman, and booting an opponent who can withstand hits from Wonder Woman without breaking her own foot.

Replace Catwoman with say, Nightwing and Cheetah with Doomsday. How would you feel then?

Writing a story where I actually care about a character enough for me to want them to win? That takes skill.
    And you can do that without ignoring the character's established capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus
    The thing is you don't see Riddler and Penguin beating up Doomsday in a physical fight.
    Precisely.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 02-23-2022 at 11:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    And you can do that without ignoring the character's established capabilities.
    Of course you can. Never said otherwise. All I'm saying is that Cheetah is so incredibly ill-defined that no one particularly cares that much.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Of course you can. Never said otherwise. All I'm saying is that Cheetah is so incredibly ill-defined that no one particularly cares that much.
    Nobody cares about WW either. Seeing jow much she is nerfed and jobbed out.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Who are these people that no one particularly cares about that much? The writers at large in both animation and in comic books? I thought that the writing was important to the characters that we are supposed to care about.

It's probably not the best idea to group people together and say they don't care that much.

Extraordinary Member

Nobody cares about WW either. Seeing jow much she is nerfed and jobbed out.
    Ehhh. If that were true, she wouldn't have had two movies and a third in production. If that were true, she wouldn't have multiple books featuring her right now. If she isn't being written the way you like, I completely understand, but there's no reason to resort to outright lies.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.