Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Grant Morrison on leaving DC

This article on Grant's website, part of his Superman and the Authority annotations, paints a very interesting picture.

https://grantmorrison.substack.com/p...ty-annotations

Funny as hell that Scott Snyder worked so hard to stop 5G from happening but when he got what he wanted he left DC lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I guess it confirms all the rumors about the resistance to 5G.

For all the Didio haters:

It was never my intention to provide ammunition for haters and I’d like to make it clear that Dan has been one of my closest friends in the comics business for a long time. I wouldn’t have stayed with DC so long if not for Dan. Without him there would be no Seven Soldiers, All Star Superman, Batman, Final Crisis, Action Comics, Multiversity, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern or Superman and the Authority.

Astonishing Member

They're long time friends. It's not surprising he's defending him. I mean, he had good experience working with him, that's fine, lot of people wasn't that lucky.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Funny as hell that Scott Snyder worked so hard to stop 5G from happening but when he got what he wanted he left DC lol.
    Really? What's the story behind this?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It didn't really go into a lot of detail about where the 5G concept came from. If the rumors that it was handed down from on high. Not that Morrison would necessarily be privy to that knowledge.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    They're long time friends. It's not surprising he's defending him. I mean, he had good experience working with him, that's fine, lot of people wasn't that lucky.
    Seeing that I did NOT buy any of those books-what was the point???

Yeah Morrison had no issue but that does not Jedi Handwave what everyone else went through.

Excluding Seven Soldiers-Morrison did books that Dan could NOT screw with. If Morrison did Jaime Reyes, Firestorm, John Stewart and Vixen would they be in better shape?

And where are the 7 Soldiers at now?? We just saw two of them recently. Where are the rest? That New 52 did not toss away.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

"The cheers of the crowd were being replaced by a clearing of throats, a shuffling of feet, and although punctuated by the odd half-hearted ‘yay’, it was clear that ‘Wednesday Warrior’ readers of DC superhero titles were less and less interested in what I had to sell."

This hit me hard.

This is a very fascinating read. I always love hearing Morrison’s perspective on all things superheroes.

“Meanwhile younger creators who had grown up absorbing the lessons of my work were rendering me obsolete or refining my approach into an easily reproducible house style.”

Basically what we’re seeing with Williamson’s current DC event stuff. A watered down version of Grant’s concepts.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-14-2022 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Really? What's the story behind this?
    Morrison literally tells you in the Substack:
    Fellow freelancers felt differently – such was the massive and catastrophic impact on their plans that DC’s most prominent writer at the time, someone I respect a great deal, called to enlist my aid in what he described as an ‘intervention’ – I felt we should just let it rip and make hay, which was easy for me to say, as I knew I was on my way out and I wasn’t having years’ worth of story planning thrown out!)
    Who else could that be but Scott Snyder? At the time he was the guy writing JL and writing the events, he was the clear head honcho. Also he was a long-standing fan of Morrison and has said that he wasn’t a fan of 5G, he fought with Didio to keep Death Metal from having to tie in.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It's a good read.

Extraordinary Member

Morrison literally tells you in the Substack:
    Oh. Well, I just preferred being given a quick and concise answer here than having to go through the article.

Who else could that be but Scott Snyder? At the time he was the guy writing JL and writing the events, he was the clear head honcho. Also he was a long-standing fan of Morrison and has said that he wasn’t a fan of 5G, he fought with Didio to keep Death Metal from having to tie in.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the info.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

That was a great read. I think Grant, like many of his peers, had peaked on his superhero material, time to move on. No one works in the field for 40 years and maintains the relevance of their new material. It's kind of like music, as bands get older, they are better at their craft, making the best technical music they have made. That's not necessarily what the masses want, they want the catchy, radio friendly single. I have been hit or miss on Morrison, I liked Arkham Asylum, JLA, and All Star Superman. I know I'm in the minority, but I was not a huge fan of his Batman in the Bat-books.

As far as 5G goes, I think Dan ran out of ideas and lost sight of things. At the end of the day, people want Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, and so on to be eternally in their mid-30's. You can't just say "Bruce is 60 now, and this other guy who you have zero emotional attachment to, is Batman now." And at the time, it had only been 4 years since Rebirth started, many of the characters left in limbo by New 52 still hadn't been fixed (many still aren't today).
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

5G would have been interesting as its own line, streamlining the history and then transitioning into its own era, kind of like a bolder Ultimates thing (like so many say the New 52 should have been).