Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    To be fair, Morrison's run doesn't really portray Damian as a PoC. He is supposed to look like mini Bruce.

Damian started to be treated as a PoC (and sometimes get a tan) after Morrison ended to write him.
    Yeah.

Talia herself usually comes across as a fairly Caucasian-looking woman. Ra's seems like a mix of European, Middle Eastern and Southeast Asian ancestry.

I think Damian is mostly white, with a hint of some other ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah.

Talia herself usually comes across as a fairly Caucasian-looking woman. Ra's seems like a mix of European, Middle Eastern and Southeast Asian ancestry.

I think Damian is mostly white, with a hint of some other ancestry.
    Ra's always perplexes me, originally, he's Middle Eastern, but looks white. Now he's a mix of the three you mentioned pretty much but looks white. I believe Talia's mother was white (Ra's met her at Woodstock) in her original origin by Denny, but I know Morrison changed that in Batman Inc. It's probably more up in the air at this point. Still that would make Damian more than half white, and then a mix of Middle Eastern and Asian. I still think he's supposed to look like young Bruce.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I'm not one to defend Didio (mostly) but it's not like he didn't try. The All Star line was a sincere attempt, as were the Earth One books, that pulp line which the name I forget, the Pop Up imprints and so on. And at least with AllStar and Earth One, I believe the issues were more of a logistical nature (high production times, high intervals between books, hard to schedule creatives, pricing, etc) than content.
    Logistics has always been Didio's weak spot. It's not an excuse when he continues to mess up time and time again and year after year with subpar products because he didn't factor in artist/writer delays. Final Crisis/Infinite Crisis/All-Star/New 52 all had these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, his poor organizational abilities have always seemed to be something that plagued his reign as DC's editorial head honcho. He launches the All Star line as a way of creating evergreen stories like DKR and Kingdom Come, then abandons it for no clear reason. Was it because All-Star Batman & Robin became a punchline? Then, he starts up the Earth One line as a fresh entry-point for new readers, then reboots the entire DCU right afterwards that seemed to be trying to accomplish the exact same goal.
    All-Star Batman was also suppose to be a Loeb project with Jim Lee, but they lost Loeb so went for Frank Millar. I think that kind of explains why the project get stealth cancelled once the Millar stuff was critically panned.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-15-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

What I always find remarkable after reading something like this from Morrison is how talented a writer they are and yet chose to write comics. Pretty awesome.

This got a good chuckle out of me: "... the occupational hazard of dealing with the rapacious ungrateful pirates who guide the destiny of pop culture."

Grant's material is always an entertaining read!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yeah, his poor organizational abilities have always seemed to be something that plagued his reign as DC's editorial head honcho.
    I wouldn't even say that. The guy did manage to make the weekly model viable again, heavily reduced delays on DC and so on. I think that managing talent, specially coming from a TV background were **** got done on schedule no matter what, that was his weak spot.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    They're long time friends. It's not surprising he's defending him. I mean, he had good experience working with him, that's fine, lot of people wasn't that lucky.
    Exactly this. Between Didio and Bob Harras, they both took turns driving DC’s bobsled straight to hell…

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

I am sorry to hear that Grant Morrison is leaving now DC will be totally saturated by the Trinity
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I wouldn't even say that. The guy did manage to make the weekly model viable again, heavily reduced delays on DC and so on. I think that managing talent, specially coming from a TV background were **** got done on schedule no matter what, that was his weak spot.
    I'd rank his mismanagement of the New 52 line as a lot of both. The editorial confusion during that period was pretty staggering.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It breaks my heart to think the G.O.A.T. had to go out like this and not in an earth shattering manner that befits their stage.

I hope at least DC gives us their entire oeuvre in Absolute formats.

To me their version of the JLA, Batman, Superman, & Green Lantern are my versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Angel View Post
    5G would have prob performed like the MC2. Everything falls flat but a sole Spider/Bat book keeps on trucking.
    MC2 had quite a few good points. Its biggest flaw is that it needs to tell 20 years of stories.... as back story, and not the main story. So, a lot of stories got bogged down with exposition. It also had a few head scratching moments where you wonder... "how did the story go THAT direction?" Like... why does Wolverine have a daughter with... Elektra? Sure, nice character design, but... why Elektra??

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Logistics has always been Didio's weak spot. It's not an excuse when he continues to mess up time and time again and year after year with subpar products because he didn't factor in artist/writer delays. Final Crisis/Infinite Crisis/All-Star/New 52 all had these problems.
    All Star Superman had delays, but I don't think that anyone is going to claim that it was subpar. Was Infinite Crisis delayed?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Part 2 is out, buckle up!

https://grantmorrison.substack.com/p...ty-annotations

Only GM could get away with a gem like calling unicorns "terrible duplicitous c--ts" (in metaphor of course ).

Still always enjoy reading his takes on evil Superman, i.e. lazy and unimaginative.

Goes in on Kara as well:

Why, I say, oh why, is it so hard to simply serve the concept and write the adventures of a smart, creative and kind-hearted teenage girl with superpowers? What purpose earthly or unearthly is served by making this character an embittered space tyrant?
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Part 2 is out, buckle up!

https://grantmorrison.substack.com/p...ty-annotations

Only GM could get away with a gem like calling unicorns "terrible duplicitous c--ts" (in metaphor of course ).

Still always enjoy reading his takes on evil Superman, i.e. lazy and unimaginative.

Goes in on Kara as well:
    This times a thousand. Never thought I would agree with Grant Morrison (or he with me) but this sums up my feelings for about the last 20 years of DC comics.

Friendly reminder that Grant Morrison uses they/them pronouns.

Tell 'em, Grant!