Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question Death of the Justice League is not even out yet and people are dooming it.

Hi guys.

Long time no see

So, a few days ago DC released a trailer for The Death of the Justice League and the Dark Crisis events.

The events are going to be out in 3 months, so obviously no one knows how good or bad it is yet........but there are some people complaining
    about it and dooming it before reading it.

Why is that?

Personally, I'm interested. And let's be honest, at one point DC will have another reboot of some kind, but that doesn't mean that we should judge a book before its even released.

Fans are a pessimistic and cynical lot.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

DC hasn't given us a lot to be hopeful for. They do a Crisis every year it feels like. They dont care about any continuity. They have a character they just killed off and are advertising her possible death...again. less than a year after the fact. Doesn't give me much hope.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I blame 70% Dan Didio, and 30% the fans themselves.

We just came out of Dan's tenure, and it was an unusually long one. And pretty much all of his events were based on the concept of "look, fan, look while I ruin your favorite thing!" . Now, because he was at helm at DC for so long, somer fans, specially the ones that came along during that period, came to believe that that is all DC is and all DC does, because they never seen anything different before. And that's understandable.

HOWEVER

The DC today, in or out of offices, is pretty much nothing like the DC of 3 or 4 years ago. So readers should understand that and stop the assumptions, IMHO. And if they hate this new Era as well, fair enough, but do so on its own merits.

(ME, I"m really happy with DC right, btw)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    DC hasn't given us a lot to be hopeful for. They do a Crisis every year it feels like. They dont care about any continuity. They have a character they just killed off and are advertising her possible death...again. less than a year after the fact. Doesn't give me much hope.
    OK, you have a point. But this looks like an interesting concept that focuses on the new generation, so we should at least give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    HOWEVER

The DC today, in or out of offices, is pretty much nothing like the DC of 3 or 4 years ago. So readers should understand that and stop the assumptions, IMHO. And if they hate this new Era as well, fair enough, but do so on its own merits.

I am too.

Thanks for this post.

It's frustrating to read posts complaining of DC continuing to do something/anything that they haven't liked for 10+ years with the conviction that that 10+ years is evidence things will never change, even though the ones overseeing the things they didn't like left just over a year ago.

For one example, people constantly post that the JSA has been gone for 11 years saying it proves that DC doesn't and won't ever care about them (and even hates JSA fans, lol), with no acknowledgement at all that the folks in charge today had nothing to do with the first 10 years and have been bringing the JSA back over the incredibly short time they've been in charge.

If you're upset that the JSA, for example, isn't back in the ways you want, that's fair. Just stop saying that 11 years means anything. The people in charge now had nothing to do with those first 10 years. If you want to complain about what's happening/not happening with JSA, please just say you're upset it hasn't happened in over one year, not 11.

If one political party is in charge for decades and you hate their policies and then another party takes control with completely opposing policies, it's silly to blame the incoming administration for what the former one did just because they haven't turned every single thing around immediately.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 02-14-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    OK, you have a point. But this looks like an interesting concept that focuses on the new generation, so we should at least give it a chance.
    That's the deal breaker for me. Bad enough fake Jon is still around, but to shove him and a bunch of new characters into the main JL role, when there's at least 100 more that would be a better fit, is a no go for me.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I am too.

Thanks for this post.

It's frustrating to read posts complaining of DC continuing to do something/anything that they haven't liked for 10+ years with the conviction that that 10+ years is evidence things will never change, even though the ones overseeing the things they didn't like left just over a year ago.

For one example, people constantly post that the JSA has been gone for 11 years saying it proves that DC doesn't and won't ever care about them (and even hates JSA fans, lol), with no acknowledgement at all that the folks in charge today had nothing to do with the first 10 years and have been bringing the JSA back over the incredibly short time they've been in charge.

If you're upset that the JSA, for example, isn't back in the ways you want, that's fair. Just stop saying that 11 years means anything. The people in charge now had nothing to do with those first 10 years. If you want to complain about what's happening/not happening with JSA, please just say you're upset it hasn't happened in over one year, not 11.

If one political party is in charge for decades and you hate their policies and then another party takes control with completely opposing policies, it's silly to blame the incoming administration for what the former one did just because they haven't turned every single thing around immediately.
    I can kind of agree but it isn't like DC had a huge rotation with an all new team bts. JSA fans shouldn't wait another 11 years just to say "well DC has brand new leadership yet again so you cant blame them"

Even with politics, power shifts but the players largely dont.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    JSA fans shouldn't wait another 11 years just to say "well DC has brand new leadership yet again so you cant blame them" .
    And there's absolutely no indication we will. A book was announced and cancelled, yes, because of whatever shenanigans with Geoff Johns, but the characters are already back, some of them have already been heavily featured and we have an event dealing specifically with the generational aspect of the DCU coming in 3 months.

And look, I get it. I'm a Wally West/Cass Cain guy. It rubbed me the fuck wrong when the hat family was having reunions in the cave and Cass was in the manors couch as of sheer didn't belong, or no one giving a short about Wally in prison and Roy's death and the adult Titans being "grounded" by the JL and all that.

But the people at DC now are just not playing by these rules anymore. It's realty undoer to criticize them as if they were.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Some of us are just tired of the same story being reused. I already saw Superman and Aquaman die, Batman crippled, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern loosing their powers to then be replaced all in the 90s. I'm just not confident that this event could outshine that and don't see a reason to try other than make headlines.

. . . So, a few days ago DC released a trailer for The Death of the Justice League and the Dark Crisis events.

The events are going to be out in 3 months, so obviously no one knows how good or bad it is yet........but there are some people complaining about it and dooming it before reading it.

Why is that? . . .
    Haven't seen any "trailer" for these upcoming comic books, but just the names "Death of the Justice League" and "Dark Crisis" don't sound very positive to me.

I haven't read all that much written by Williamson, but I haven't been all that impressed by what I have read of his.

DC hasn't really been heading in an overall direction that appeals to me, and when I do find something that I like, it's usually a limited series with next to no likelihood of it eventually continuing.

Extraordinary Member

Well, to me, it looks more like yet another creatively bankrupt concept that will be executed badly. The concept itself was entirely predictable given DC's history in the past twenty years or so, not fresh or new in any way. Nor does it interest me. I suspect I am not alone, which probably answers the OP, at least from my point of view.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    That's the deal breaker for me. Bad enough fake Jon is still around, but to shove him and a bunch of new characters into the main JL role, when there's at least 100 more that would be a better fit, is a no go for me.
    Me as well. There are plenty of characters who've been around for decades who could "replace" the main JLAers, but DC loves to do this sort of thing. If the MCU was about giving fans what they wanted, DC is about giving fans what they never asked for and often don't want, while running down what they do. Didio set the tone, and I don't see that its changed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

We had folks wanting some of the new folks in charge FIRED before they started-hi Daniel Cherry and that Hal Jordan fan that hates him.

I think what folks want is for the ship to be stabilized and not yet another set of events that only prop up certain characters (some who do no need it).

Can we get some decent no event hostage holding every title, no Teen Titan butchering and no Batman centric books. At least until DC knows who owns them and then do something like this?

What I find really interesting here is how personally some people are taking the difference in opinion.

This is nothing new. DC announces an event that'll feature a funeral, pushes some Event plot with giant stakes, some of us comment negatively on it, others positive, and aside from some bickering that's about it. I don't think people take any of it too seriously. But people seem to be really standing up here and arguing for their position, like it's insulting someone would feel differently. I'm not throwing shade at anyone or pointing fingers and maybe it's just me but this story seems to have people pretty riled up.

But I don't think anyone is dooming anything. Nobody cares if I'm not terribly interested or optimistic about this story. If you're excited for it, my opinion isn't gonna change anything. And we're such a small segment of the community. Even if *all* the nerd sites are hating this (this is the only one I go to so I have no idea), that's still a small fraction of the consumer base, we're not gonna influence sales very much one way or another. Nobody cares what us internet nerds have to say on CBR.

A bunch of us will buy this, some of us will like it, some of us won't....this is just business as usual, just another Event. It's strange to me that we have several threads now that're about the reaction to this event among us posters, and not the event itself.

DC is about giving fans what they never asked for and often don't want, while running down what they do. Didio set the tone, and I don't see that its changed.
    That, I think, depends a lot on what characters you follow/like. For us Power Girl fans, or us Cyborg fans.....no, not much has improved. But for us Nightwing and Wally fans? Yeah, things are loads better. Personally, I think the last year or so has been (overall) one of DC's best in a long time, at least creatively (who knows what sales actually look like these days?). Action, GL, Nightwing, a lot of my regular pulls are better than they've been in ages. Us Superman fans got a ton of self-contained miniseries, and of better quality, than in a long while. Wonder Woman, I hear, is also riding a high note (I gotta catch up, I hadn't realized the book was good again). I dunno if I'd say the line is in a "good" place, since it's still too reliant on Bats and doesn't feature enough of the C-list (where's my Zatanna book? JSA?) but I feel like they're not usually making the same mistakes as Didio and my DC pull is larger now than it's been in a while (still not a big pull, but it's grown).

I forget we're under new management sometimes, and judge things by the old Didio metrics and expectations (I've done that with this event, matter o fact) but it's true that this is a new DC, and for the most part they're not doing things the way Didio did.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-14-2022 at 02:59 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.