Default New Han/Leia wedding novel coming

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...RnoL_QhOM5SbPE

The original EU version of Han and Leia's marriage happened in the old "Jedi Prince" YA adult series, which oddly enough, dealt with Palpatine's son and grandson, but it was later overridden by the Courtship of Princess Leia novel, which took place a year before the Thrawn trilogy and notably added the Witches of Dathomir to Star Wars lore, which is still in the Disney canon (Although with some tweaks). Now it looks like a third, Disney version is coming out, although of course with a tie-in to Disney's new hotel.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

This might be fun!

You just know Lando's gonna score with some bridesmaids...

But one thing I hope is touched upon with Leia is the fallout from her just having found out that Luke is her brother and Vader was her father. I know she "always knew" deep down, but still. It's not something we've ever seen (or have we? I haven't read the books and not all the comics) and having the book take place during this time period would be the place to see her go through that.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

But one thing I hope is touched upon with Leia is the fallout from her just having found out that Luke is her brother and Vader was her father. I know she "always knew" deep down, but still. It's not something we've ever seen (or have we? I haven't read the books and not all the comics) and having the book take place during this time period would be the place to see her go through that.
    The Bloodline novel by Claudia Gray went into it, maybe moreso her feelings about Vader/Anakin than how she reacted to Luke being her brother.

I wonder if this will touch on Luke training her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

In the old EU Anakin's ghost appears to her in "Truce at Bakura" which takes place shortly after ROTJ (The novel's a weird one, basically the Rebels and an Imperial world team up against a group of invading Dinosaur-like aliens who drain people's life force to power their tech) although she kind of doesn't forgive him. Eventually she becomes more accepting of him after learning more of his tragic past in the Tatooine Ghost novel, and winds up naming her second son Anakin.

Also she and Luke don't really keep it secret, which proves to be a boon in the Thrawn trilogy when it turns out Thrawn's Noghri commandoes practically *worship* Vader.

However in the new EU she-and presumably Luke-do keep it secret from most people-including Ben. But then a rival senator-who is also working with the First Order-finds out from a Bail Organa hologram. Oops. (This happens in "Bloodline")

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    However in the new EU she-and presumably Luke-do keep it secret from most people-including Ben. But then a rival senator-who is also working with the First Order-finds out from a Bail Organa hologram. Oops. (This happens in "Bloodline")
    And ironically the subsequent fallout of that and Leia's own feelings of powerlessness make her understand Anakin for the first time in her life.

I don't think it's been elaborated on too much (I think the Kylo Ren comics didn't bring it up at all) but the feeling of betrayal that his mother kept this information from him and probably going down the Rabbit hole of perhaps researching his Grandfather was a contributing factor in Ben's eventual turn.

well it'd be hard for it to actually be worse the old Courtship of Princess Leia book was

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    well it'd be hard for it to actually be worse the old Courtship of Princess Leia book was
    What, you don’t want Han having to out-cheap-romance-novel-hijinks Space Fabio to win Leia’s hand in marriage with a mind control gun?

In hindsight, it amazing that the Witches of Dathomir and Warlord Zsinj wound up being wildly successful elements of later stories…
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

New book sounds interesting, but it also sounds like its might just be an ad for the new cruise line.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    What, you don’t want Han having to out-cheap-romance-novel-hijinks Space Fabio to win Leia’s hand in marriage with a mind control gun?

In hindsight, it amazing that the Witches of Dathomir and Warlord Zsinj wound up being wildly successful elements of later stories…
    Zsing I think was vague enough in the book for the X-wing novels to really bulk up his character.

I think the Nightsisters kind of became a lot more popular in part when comic artists-and later Clone Wars-mixed them with the concept art of Darth Maul, and re-worked them into Maul and Ventress's origin stories. Before that I think they were mostly identified with Sian Phillips Witch character in the second Ewok TV movie.

BTW the Halycon isn't a cruise ship IRL, but a (very expensive) hotel with some kind of interactive show thing.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sta...ic_Starcruiser
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 02-19-2022 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    New book sounds interesting, but it also sounds like its might just be an ad for the new cruise line.
    Here is my problem with this entire thing though.

They got divorced.

I wouldn't go on a Han / Leia cruise line to celebrate my wedding. They got divorced. That doesn't bode well in my opinion.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Here is my problem with this entire thing though.

They got divorced.

I wouldn't go on a Han / Leia cruise line to celebrate my wedding. They got divorced. That doesn't bode well in my opinion.
    They were separated, not divorced. Also, it is in the text that they wanted to reconcile and heal the rift, but tragically ran out of time.

Course, I do often separate the concept from execution with these kinds of things. Case in point, Spider-Man/Mary Jane is my personal favorite fictional married couple, but, in the main comic series, they agreed to undo that via a deal with the devil. Hard to think of a worse outcome (or worse piece of character assassination) than that. Granted, the Spider-Man franchise does have several continuities where things do work out for them, but I guess I see the idea that somewhat superseding the text, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, Star Wars doesn't exactly have many iconic couples that made it. In the movies, Anakin and Padme had a tragic end (not to mention some unhealthy aspects to the marriage that they were unable to really overcome) and Han and Qu'ira were torn apart by quite a few factors (and we already know what happened to Han and Leia). There wasn't any romance in Rogue One or the sequel trilogy (if you're wondering about Rise of Skywalker allegedly canonizing "Reylo," first thing is that the canon novelization clarified that it wasn't a romance and, even if it was, a story about a woman falling in love with her abuser is hardly romantic, much less a good thing).

Suppose you have Kanan and Hera in the Rebels cartoon, but that had a tragic end (and Ezra's crush on Sabine was dropped from the narrative, for good or ill). Doctor Aphra from the comics is defined as being unable to have a healthy relationship (something she has been shown to regret). If you go to Legends, Han and Leia had a better outcome and Luke and Mara Jade were pretty happy together until her untimely death, but Legends isn't exactly high profile in the franchise.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I guess Star Wars was never really defined by its love stories.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)