Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's like the showrunners thought "we need our own Daenerys, but without the incest stuff" Plus wouldn't this version of her just make you wonder why she wasn't on the battlefield later on in the movies? Sure they can come up with reasons why she wasn't but it's going to feel jarring.
    Not for people who have read the Silmarillion, there her Quenya name was Nerwen which meant man-maiden because she was fierce, brash and wild always competing in sports among her brothers and looking to explore. But hey, let's get upset that they're "changing" a character.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

You got it mixed it up Charlie's Angels was a show that spawned movies that people liked until the newest one that bombed and the Blade Runner sequel just...y'know...bombed. Oh, and thanks for saying not everything needs constant releases. It's cool that we can agree on that.
    The Blade Runner sequel did bomb, though I would argue that it was a major artistic achievement which people who saw it generally really liked. It's not like the original lit the world on fire though. I guess I struggle to call two movies a franchise. I suppose there are other pieces of media like books and comics, but they are decidedly supplemental.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    About the state of generic, I just read an article of why the series looking so cheap even thought it cost a billion

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b2015466.html
    For a billion dollar show, why does the new Lord of the Rings trailer look so cheap?

At a time Dune has shown you can make a high quality film with a cheaper budget than Amazon and Disney would give you for their films and shows then there is a problem
    I don't know where have you seen a trailer already, I have only been able to find a one minute teaser and it looks anything but cheap.

For some reason, most of the comments on youtube are copy-paste quotes in russian. Says it all, I think.

I do love the anger over a show that is not even out yet. And I love the anger when a show gets released.

Everyone holds some of these properties as some mythic holy grail that can never be touched. Amazon bought the rights to this to make money not make the fans happy. They are putting out a show that so far looks good that they thing will appeal to many people not just LotR fans. Companies do not by these series to just sit on them so they can never be changed to make fan boys happy. They buy them to make money.

Lord Of the Rings Books Were so amazing, the first Ghostbuster was so great. Nothing can ever be done with these again.

The problem is not the movies or shows being made it is the people who make the shows and movies want a crash grab and dont make them well. Not because Ghostbusters was so great but because Ghostbusters 2016 was so bad. I dont care if they make 100 ghostbusters as long as they make them good. I am kind of tired of remakes and revials bombing.

But I am excited for this Lord of the Rings show. From the 1 minute I have seen I like the look. I have never read any of the Tolkin stuff other then the first Lord Of The Rings book. Which I did not enjoy. But I loved the movies and I loved the Hobbit Movies so I am going to watch this and I think I will enjoy it.

People ask how can you say you may enjoy this after just seeing a 1 minute teaser? Same way people say they will hate it off a 1 minute teaser.

if you watch it and dont like it here is a great idea. Dont watch it again. The problem with fans are that if they dont like it then everyone else has to not like it. Fans have to tell other people how to be a fan. Like when I say I am not a fan of Tolkin but I am a huge fan of The Lord Of the Rings it drives the nerds nuts. or with Spiderman. I loved OMD. I enjoyed reading it. But I cant tell you how many times I have been told "Well if you know how MJ or Peter are supposed to be written you would hate it. If you understood comics you would hate it."

And I have news for the haters. It is going to get worse. If this show does well there will be more seasons, and more LotR stuff coming out. So we are going to see so many more threads like this.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

My main concern with this is that it feels like part of the conveyer belt of classic fantasy novel based streaming series trying to cash in on Game Of Thrones. Lord Of The Rings and Game Of Thrones succeeded in large part due to feats of casting alchemy and canny script treatments, so I’m always going to be skeptical that anything new is going to excel, and that instead will get something just ok-ish like The Witcher or Wheel Of Time. (Also, the next Game Of Thrones will not be a fantasy series - it’ll be something they no-one expected to be a big hit, and then everyone will copy that.)

Incredible Member

You know what really sucks about Fandom? How people can get so blinded by the MCU that they can't see the graveyard of dead franchises.

Have you seen the Terminator franchise?
    Have you seen the Predator franchise?
    Have you seen the Alien franchise?
    Have you seen the Star Trek franchise? No more movies, JJ made sure of that.
    Have you seen the Blade Runner franchise?
    Have you seen the Ghostbusters franchise? Oh wait, I've just been told that was saved.
    Have you seen the Charlie's Angels franchise?
    Have you seen the Transformers franchise?
    Have you seen the GI JOE franchise?
    Last but not least....Have you seen the Conan franchise?

And other people on this board can no doubt just keep adding to this list. So we have every right to be wary of stuff like this.

"For some reason" I think you forgot where you were for a moment
    Unfortunately I think he knew exactly where he was.
    Last edited by HollowSage; 02-16-2022 at 08:52 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    The Blade Runner sequel did bomb, though I would argue that it was a major artistic achievement which people who saw it generally really liked. It's not like the original lit the world on fire though. I guess I struggle to call two movies a franchise. I suppose there are other pieces of media like books and comics, but they are decidedly supplemental.
    Blade Runner has a CG anime and a live action tv show was recently announced. Safe to call it a franchise

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I do love the anger over a show that is not even out yet. And I love the anger when a show gets released.

Everyone holds some of these properties as some mythic holy grail that can never be touched. Amazon bought the rights to this to make money not make the fans happy. They are putting out a show that so far looks good that they thing will appeal to many people not just LotR fans. Companies do not by these series to just sit on them so they can never be changed to make fan boys happy. They buy them to make money.
    When you purchase and adapt a property based on one of the greatest selling series of novels of all time, maybe pleasing the fans should be on your radar. They are changing all the lore and telling their own stories, despite wealth of great stories that could be adapted.

That is going to ruffle a few feathers.

I would say we have every right to be upset.

People ask how can you say you may enjoy this after just seeing a 1 minute teaser? Same way people say they will hate it off a 1 minute teaser.
    You are free to like it. I'm happy for you.

But this isn't Tolkien. This is a third rate fantasy with Tolkien's name pasted on it.

if you watch it and dont like it here is a great idea. Dont watch it again.
    I don't even plan on watching it once.
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    They are changing all the lore and telling their own stories, despite wealth of great stories that could be adapted.

But this isn't Tolkien. This is a third rate fantasy with Tolkien's name pasted on it.
    Where has this been stated?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    When you purchase and adapt a property based on one of the greatest selling series of novels of all time, maybe pleasing the fans should be on your radar. They are changing all the lore and telling their own stories, despite wealth of great stories that could be adapted.

I would say we have every right to be upset.

You are free to like it. I'm happy for you.

I don't even plan on watching it once.

The thing is the fans dont own LotR. Amazon does. or at least the show rights. Yes people can be upset thats fine. More power to people. What I am more annoyed by is when people get upset at people who are not upset or dont care about the changes. As if the "True fans" are the only ones worthy of the opinion on a show, comic, movie whatever. And the fact is movies and shows are not made for the true fans. i get fans wanting it all to be the same with all the little lore and Easter eggs and such. But if it was just marketed to the real fans it would bomb. Same thing I saw about the MCU. They are made for the mass audience. If real fans like them great. if they dont? Well there are couple hundred thousand causal fans who loved them to take that place.

I dont mind it not being Tolkien. As I said in my post I am not a fan of Tolkien. I didnt enjoy the books. But I loved the movies. yea with out Tolkien there would be no movies as people tell me. I get it. But LotR is one of the few movies I enjoy more then the books. I would watch this if it was some other fantasy and not a LotR name on it.

And as for not watching? Cool go ahead and skip it. No one is forcing any one to watch it. People made their judgments on how bad or good it will be based on a one minute video. I saw it looks good could be wrong. You say it looks bad could be wrong.

Both sides are being foolish saying it will be the worst/best thing ever based on one minute.

What it boils down to in Fandom everywhere is "This is not how I wanted it, this is not how I feel it should be so I dont like it and I dont want anyone else to like it either."

That is all it is with anything. Movies, comics, tv shows, games. etc..

The internet (Not saying here) but there are all kinds of comments that fall along these lines. "I dont like it so I hope it bombs and does bad." ignoring the people who do like it. And ignoring the people who would lose jobs from actors to BTS people if it did bomb.

And people who love it need to not bash the Hell out of people who dont. They are just as bad sometimes.
    Last edited by babyblob; 02-16-2022 at 10:52 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

They don't have rights to anything but The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, the appendices, and The Hobbit. No Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or anything else. So they actually do have to make up a lot of stuff in order to not have rights issues with the Christopher Tolkein stuff.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    They don't have rights to anything but The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, the appendices, and The Hobbit. No Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or anything else. So they actually do have to make up a lot of stuff in order to not have rights issues with the Christopher Tolkein stuff.
    If they dont have the rights how is the Lord of The Rings stuff like the Rings and such there? I was confused because I thought they did have the rights? Is it like A Sony/MCU Spiderman thing?

Either way still excited about this show

If they dont have the rights how is the Lord of The Rings stuff like the Rings and such there? I was confused because I thought they did have the rights? Is it like A Sony/MCU Spiderman thing?

Either way still excited about this show
    Read their post again.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Read their post again.
    I did I guess I just dont understand it. The rights of who owns what always confuses me. And if it aint the main LotR I have no idea what the rest is. I dont know Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales as I have never heard of them.

I did I guess I just dont understand it. The rights of who owns what always confuses me. And if it aint the main LotR I have no idea what the rest is. I dont know Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales as I have never heard of them.
    Ok, I'll help a bit then. They're saying that Amazon has the rights to some of Tolkien's works (the "main" LOTR stuff you're aware of) but not all of them (expanded works.) They were being pedantic in response to your claim Amazon "owns LOTR." Everyone else knew what you meant though, but nerds are gonna nerd lol